Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
ColoradoKeystone

electric hook ups?????

ok so we have a 2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS. We were told by my Father-in-law that we can hook up to a 50amp with a dodad that hooks to our cord and then hooks to the 50amp thing at the site. Sorry for the tech terms. lol!
Well we went to Camping World and taked to the service manager for about an hour reg stuff. He said our trailer can not hadle the 50 amps at a site. It was only designed for a 30amp hook up and we could blow the converter if we hooked up to 50amps?????? could this be true???

We asked Father in law and he said he never heard of such a thing and that we should ask Keystone.

I'm starting here first cause you all are so fun and know so much.
ColoradoKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Terrydactile

Yes you can use a 50A to 30A dog bone (adapter). The converter and everything else is protected by your on board 30A circuit breaker. You will be hooked up to 50A but you can still only draw a max of 30A because of said breaker. Thousands of RV'ers do this all the time. That guy at Camping World doesn't know what he's talking about.

You can buy the adapters at Wal-Mart or any camping supply store, heck, some campgrounds loan them out to people that need them, but if it were me, I would have my own.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

I use one of THESE and have never had a problem. The only problem is your shore-power cord will not have the protection of a 30amp breaker(since the breaker in the pedistal will be 50amp) but the trailer will be protected by your 30amp main breaker. You will still only get 120v ac to your trailer. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
hankaye

ColoradoKeystone, Howdy;

It is my understanding that the 'dogbones' refered to eliminate one of the 'legs' of the 220 vac. (one of the hot prong holes dosen't have a wire to connect it to the other end), that way you only get the 110 from one leg and I believe (ya'll need an expert to confirm this), and this is only my best guess,you will have around 25 amps showing up at your inverter...

Next time you talk to the "Service Manager" make it a poit to look behind him.
When he asks what you're looking for. tell him you are looking the source of his voice... as it seems to be comming from near his wallet.

But that's me.....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
ColoradoKeystone

ok, I just talked with Keystone and they said they do NOT recomend using the adapters because they can heat up and cause problems. They also said the same thing the guy from Camping World said, we should only use a 30amp hook up. thank you for your input though. I love asking questions on here, its all good.
ColoradoKeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
f6bits

The adapter can heat up? I’m stumped as to why. You won’t be pulling more than 30 amps no matter how hard you try, for the aforementioned reasons.

And if you end up in a site without a functioning 30 amp plug, you’d best have one of those 50A adapters. Or even a 20A household plug adapter.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

Hi colorado keystone everyone is telling you that the dog bone is safe to use! that because it is. if something in your trailer tries to draw more than 30 amps the breaker in the trailer will pop! so go buy the dog bone and make faces at all those that say no! IF IT WAS UNSAFE THEY WOULD NOT BE UL APPROVED! ok done yelling ha ha ha. the only thing that would be anyoiing would be to drop down to a 20 amp adaptor and pull 30 through it you would be out at the pedistal all nite resetinng the breaker. you'll be fine enjoy
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKeystone View Post
ok, I just talked with Keystone and they said they do NOT recomend using the adapters because they can heat up and cause problems. They also said the same thing the guy from Camping World said, we should only use a 30amp hook up. thank you for your input though. I love asking questions on here, its all good.
I have no doubt that there may be cheapie adapters out there that use inadequate wiring and could well heat up. Most of us don't buy the cheapies preferring to stick with good quality, heavy duty products, especially in essential situations like the main power source.

I have not been in a CW in several years. Our RV dealership belongs to a different supply chain called Priority RV. All of the different adapters they have on the shelf are Marinco brand which I think most of us recognize as one of the best around. Not cheap by any means, but very trustworthy.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Terrydactile

You are certainly free to do as you please but Keystone is feeding you a line of crap and so is the dude at camping world. Ask camping world why the sell them if they shouldn't be used. If the adapter heats up it is from a loose/corroded connection that will cause high resistance which equals heat. The same thing can happen to your 30A plug if it fits loose. Lots of folks have melted their plugs in the 30A recepticle because of a loose and worn outlet. The adapter simply adapts 50A to 30A it does not supply your trailer with 50A. I use one all the time. Buy the adapter and enjoy camping.

I will use the adapter sometimes just because the 30A outlet is worn. The 50A outlets tend to be used less and are usually in better shape.

You can trust us I promise!!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Hunter757

We use one and have a few to choose from, our fiver is 50amp and we have a reducer to 30amp and a second from 50 down to 20amp so I can plug it in at home until we get a 50 amp outlet installed on the side of the garage. I also have two 30amp to 20amp quick plugs left over from my last trailer.

I would agree with others on here they are safe to use but remember you get what you pay for. Our plugs are all Marinco and the extra extension cords we carry are Marinco as well.

I hope you can understand there safe to use and Happy Camping!

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
shooted

Camping World sells the adapter for this exact purpose here! http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...h-handle/11656
If it is unsafe, why do they sell them! Just to clarify, it is safe.
shooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoKeystone View Post
ok so we have a 2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS. We were told by my Father-in-law that we can hook up to a 50amp with a dodad that hooks to our cord and then hooks to the 50amp thing at the site. Sorry for the tech terms. lol!
Well we went to Camping World and taked to the service manager for about an hour reg stuff. He said our trailer can not hadle the 50 amps at a site. It was only designed for a 30amp hook up and we could blow the converter if we hooked up to 50amps?????? could this be true???

We asked Father in law and he said he never heard of such a thing and that we should ask Keystone.

I'm starting here first cause you all are so fun and know so much.
Dog bone adapters are safe is used as intended. The comment about overheating is true if used improperly, such as drawing too many amps. the biggest culprit to any electrical plug damage is from abuse. Abuse would typically be caused by pulling a plug from the wire and not the plug or the number one cause is inserting or removing the plug while its energized. If the breaker is on when the plus is either being plugged in or removed you will create an arc between the plug and recepticals contacts. This will burn and pit the metal leaving carbon deposits which will cause a higher resistance at the connection. The higher the resistance the lower the voltage/higher the amperage which emits heat.
Hope this helps.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Bob Landry

The adapter will give you 120VAC and a Neutral at the converter. There is also 50A available at your converter because that is what the pedestal provides. The breakers in your converter will limit that to 30A, just as if you were plugged into 30A service. I think I would stay away from Camping World, their service managers, and their service dept.
This is not the first outrageous post that I have read from a Camping World customer. Caveat Emptor, folks.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I think I would stay away from Camping World, their service managers, and their service dept. This is not the first outrageous post that I have read from a Camping World customer. Caveat Emptor, folks.
Fully agree, Bob. They just did not turn out to be what they started out to be and what a lot of us in the RV world hoped they would be.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
jje1960

Adaptors

Yes, we have every one imaginable... Most purchased through Northern Tool online.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	1026  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote