Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
suebobby

Unhappy water heater ?

About how long should a 6 gal. h/w last while taking a shower? Our last t/t had a 6 gal. and it seemed to last a lot longer than the one in our Sprinter 264bhs.
suebobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebobby View Post
About how long should a 6 gal. h/w last while taking a shower? Our last t/t had a 6 gal. and it seemed to last a lot longer than the one in our Sprinter 264bhs.
Too many variables to give you a simple answer.

Some water heaters recover faster than others. You may have had one of each.

Showering methods vary too much from person to person. Do you have a teenager that was much younger when you had the other trailer? Teens are notorious for long showers.

More children now than in the past?

Wife wearing her hair longer these days? Takes longer to rinse it out and uses more hot water.

Different shower head and hose and faucet may have different flow rates.

Temp setting may be lower in your new one. That will certainly affect how long the "hot" water lasts.

The stock shower head drizzles a lot more in our Cougar than in the old Sunline when you push the button to stop the flow. That will use up a lot more hot water than you might think. I picked up a real shut-off valve that fit right at the base of the hose on the shower faucet. Now when I shut it off during a shower to lather up or whatever, no more drizzle.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
suebobby

Thanks, just wife & I. I will check out your suggestions. I hate to say it but sometimes we wish we had our 05 Sunline back.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebobby View Post
If you are using it on electric alone it will not last very long. We use electric to maintain hot water during the day and it is enough for dishes but for showers we turn on the gas also. With both on the recovery rate is good enough for both of us to take reasonably long showers without running out of hot water. Even with gas alone it lasts fairly long.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

I would look into installing an Oxygenics shower head. There are a number of members here who have switched to this and are very pleased with it. It claims to use less water but with higher pressure. You can visit the website at: www.oxygenics.com
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Txoutback

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you are using it on electric alone it will not last very long. ....but for showers we turn on the gas also. Even with gas alone it lasts fairly long.

I would look into installing an Oxygenics shower head.
X2 on both comments. Both variables above increased our HW availability. The first thing I noticed is the elec WH didn't cut it for us. Our previous camper was propane only and never had a problem.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
suebobby

We installed Oxygenics shower head, did the trick. Thanks everyone for your help
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
f6bits

Thank goodness for updates, as it refreshes my memory on topics.

If your WH is set to Gas AND Electric, does it run both, or automatically pick one, like the fridge? I run electric just to save propane, but have been switching over to gas at shower time. More hot water would be nice.

I’ve thought about installing tankless, but at about a grand, and having it run on propane-only, I don’t see that in my future.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
CampDestinations.com

Some only let you run gas OR elec. but the one in our Passport will operate both at the same time. We've camped with four adults taking reasonable showers with about 10-15 mins between each and it seemed to do ok. Now the stock shower head stinks so I think I'll be looking into the Oxygenics replacements mentioned above.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
wgb1

I installed an Oxygenics and last trip out I took a regular shower (not a Navy shower). I did not rush and had ample time to shampoo and rinse hair and shower as normal and I never ran out of hot water. I also had the water heater on electric only. It is 6 gallon also. Don't think I could have done that with OEM shower head.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
mhs4771

I agree that some recover quicker than others. Our old 91 Prowler recovered much quicker than the 07 Conquest, and yes we would use both Gas and Electric for showers, then turn the gas off when done. Don't seem to have any problems with our current Montana, but then it has a 12 Gal tank vs the 6 in the previous two rigs.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote