Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
CamperDave

King OmniPro TV Antenna

Has anyone used the King OmniPro antenna yet? I did some research and King seamed to be favorable over Winegard. I am not sure what antenna came with my 2017 Outback 293UBH but it is not Winegard or King, and cannot be rotated. It is also mounted in the center of the entertainment center with no access to add a rotating antenna. So, that's my reasoning behind a 360 degree antenna.

The specs are the same as the King Jack OA8400 as far as channel frequency goes.

TV - 2013 Toyota Tundra TSS 4x4 5.7L
TT - 2017 Keystone Outback Ultra Lite 293UBH
CamperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Frank G

Did you turn on the power button and get a green light? OK, on the plate that has the antenna connection for the cable that goes to the TV there should be a little button, push it in and a small green light should appear. This is the power for the Omni directional antenna. Do they work? Yes, How well is determined by the user. You also have to do a channel search on the TV.

There is a chance this post did not answer your question, For that I am sorry. There are You Tube video's on changing out antennas. I have a king Jack and not impressed. The last unit had a Omni and it wasn't much worse. The DW wants to go satellite. I just want 5star internet.

Good Luck
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

I take it you have the fixed antenna, round with arms sticking out on each side, usually mounted with the arms pointed front to back. I can't say the reception is the best. I haven't seen the King OmniPro but it's probably a big improvement.

Your present antenna will be mounted from the top, so all you need to do is remove the sealant at the base and look for the mounting screws. Once you get the screws out you should be able to lift it up, and there should be a coax barrel connector that you can pull up. As long as the base of the new antenna covers the hole you should be good to go.

Finally got the owners manual to load: easy Peasy, and uses the same type of booster as a regular RV antenna. I would ask if your OEM booster is compatible.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:17 AM   #4
CamperDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Did you turn on the power button and get a green light? OK, on the plate that has the antenna connection for the cable that goes to the TV there should be a little button, push it in and a small green light should appear. This is the power for the Omni directional antenna. Do they work? Yes, How well is determined by the user. You also have to do a channel search on the TV.

There is a chance this post did not answer your question, For that I am sorry. There are You Tube video's on changing out antennas. I have a king Jack and not impressed. The last unit had a Omni and it wasn't much worse. The DW wants to go satellite. I just want 5star internet.

Good Luck

Thanks. Yes, I did all the above, light came on and we do get literally 3 channels. I am thinking of changing it out to the King OmniPro 360 degree antenna. I do have a satellite but trees make that a difficult most of the time, and I have an auto pointing dish. If I add internet faster than what the DW has on her phone, I will never get her to come outside.LOL

Old 05-08-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
CamperDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I take it you have the fixed antenna, round with arms sticking out on each side, usually mounted with the arms pointed front to back. I can't say the reception is the best. I haven't seen the King OmniPro but it's probably a big improvement.

Your present antenna will be mounted from the top, so all you need to do is remove the sealant at the base and look for the mounting screws. Once you get the screws out you should be able to lift it up, and there should be a coax barrel connector that you can pull up. As long as the base of the new antenna covers the hole you should be good to go.

Finally got the owners manual to load: easy Peasy, and uses the same type of booster as a regular RV antenna. I would ask if your OEM booster is compatible.

Hi Chuckster57! Yes, that's the one. The arms are pointed side to side (I am guessing which ever the installer wanted at the time).

The installation is pretty straight forward, no issues there.

I read the owners manual thoroughly and could see no issues with it working with the existing booster but the King OmniPro comes with one, may as well use it.

I was trying to find out if anyone has actually used the King OmniPro yet, it looks to be fairly new to the market. I had a winegard sensar bat wing on my old Jayco and was able to get a fair amount of channels with it.

At this point, I will buy the King OmniPro, hook it up without permanently installing to make sure it will be an improvement. Then, if it works better, I will install it permanently. Will post my results withing the next few weeks.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:13 AM   #7
CamperDave

Well, I received my KingPro antenna last night and decided to test it out at home first. I connected the coax from the antenna to the power injector, then to the TV. Connected 12dv from a battery I had laying around, turned the power on and set the antenna on top of my smoker (about 5' high) then went to check the channels.. To my amazement, it pulled in every channel my HD antenna in the attic did (33 channels).

I plan to set the antenna on the roof of the TT without permanently mounting it to test it in the setting it will be in before taking the old one down. So far so good, looks very promising at this point. I will chime in with more details after the final test.

-Dave

Old 06-05-2017, 02:55 AM   #8
ri_truck_guy

Please let us know how this works in the real world. I've got a similar problem set with my RV and I'm really curious to see how this antenna works in actual RV'ing conditions.

Thanks
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:34 AM   #9
CamperDave

I will report back next week with my results, we will be in an area where we received several channels with the Winegard Sensar II.

-Dave

Old 06-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
outwest

Like others, I'm wondering if it'll improve my reception and look forward to hearing your results. Our Keystone Vantage came with a crappy Jensen ANHD20 disk-shaped antenna that doesn't pick up hardly anything. I considered switching to the King, but couldn't help but think that it wouldn't be much, if any, improvement since it doesn't rotate either. Like yours, the placement of ours is such that a manually rotated antenna isn't feasible.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #11
Cryoman

Camper Dave
curious about your antenna results
Cryoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
CamperDave

First, My apologies. I thought I had posted the results, as it turns out, It never made it.

I did get the opportunity to test this, I just ran through the tv's auto tune this morning and I get 7 channels, all pixelated. The switch on the plate is on, connections are good and secure. According to https://www.antennaweb.org/Address I should get 7 channels (it never mentioned pixelation). In all fairness, I was out in an area that can get terrible signals which is only 5 miles away from my house. We had a clearing in the Southwest sky, so I hooked up the dish for the DW & kids.

I will test again in another location when we go back out in September, October, and November then post my results. It just been too hot to enjoy lately.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
CamperDave

Here is the full review I gave to Amazon
Just remember, your results may differ from mine. There are many variables that will affect how well digital signals are received such as terrain, distance from broadcast towers, etc. This will hopefully give you a basic idea what to expect out of this product.

My Take on the King OmniPro Omnidirectional Antenna

After researching and finding little hands on trials of this antenna, I decided to try one for myself. Some reviews sound like they are from people in the city within a very short distance to the TV station towers. I live 50 miles from a large cluster of digital TV signals which is not really all that far. With that being said, I opened the box to find a aesthetically pleasing antenna fully enclosed, and a power injector wall plate. After a few connections and power applied, I set this antenna on my outside deck about 4ft high on a railing, went inside and ran a channel search. After about 15 minutes the TV returned 38 channels/sub-channels, all crystal clear with no distortion. This initial test was a success. (KEEP READING) However, an actual test of the antenna mounted on top of my RV still needed to be conducted.

The RV test...
Rv location is only 7 miles further from where I tested from my home in a Lake park nestled among winding hilly roads. RV was facing the North.

After carefully removing the old antenna that only got 1-2 channels on a sunny day with no wind on level terrain, the OmniPro Omnidirectional antenna was installed. Replaced the old power injector plate with the one that came with the OmniPro, made all connections (double and triple checked for proper connections), applied power and ran a channel scan. This is a 360-degree antenna, Right?? (I thought to myself) so it should pull from all directions. Well as a precaution, I proceeded to check all my connections again just to make sure. All connections are correct so I did another channel scan. Same result, 1 channel that comes and goes with 20 other channels with pixel distortion so bad I couldn't bear to watch. According to a website I use to determine how many channels I should get, there should have been 7 clear channels with 24 sub-channels. Ok, I was still skeptical and decided I may be too far away and not in the most perfect conditions for TV signals.
After moving to higher ground, about 5 miles up winding hilly roads to a flatter campground area, facing the West. I ran another channel scan. Near same result except for gaining 1 more digitally distorted channel.

The final thought about the King OmniPro Omnidirectional Antenna is equal to having nothing at all out of the 50 miles as tested at my home. I had an RV with a Winegard Sensar II that did superior compared to this, albeit I had to manually fine tune by physically turning it. However, manually fine tuning was not an option with a keystone RV that did not have consumer functionality in mind by putting the entertainment center in the center of the antenna location. That’s another review altogether. The King Omnipro Omnidirectional Antenna does not live up to my expectations, and at $89, I felt ripped off. I only give it a one star because it did pull in channels clearly at my home. These are my results which may differ from yours so please keep this in mind when you make your purchase.

Tags
antenna