Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
geobet

What's the secret to using 303?

Here in Florida, everything that is exposed to the sun takes a beating. My rig is parked beside my shop and is only exposed to the sun for 4-5 hours a day. I tried to apply 303 and it streaks like heck. I tried applying less 303...still streaks. Sucks! I've used clean towels, more pressure, less pressure, buffer, etc., and have run out of ideas. I like the concept but hate dealing with getting the streaks out. Anybody that uses this stuff got any ideas about why its giving me such a hard time?

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

My guess would be oxidation on the trailer surface so the 303 isn't being absorbed evenly over the entire surface ???? And that's only a wild guess..... Maybe apply a generous coating, let it dry and apply another coat to see if the 303 will be absorbed more evenly ????

If that doesn't work, I've no idea.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

The first times I used 303 I had a heck of a time getting it to look "smooth" on the front of my trailer. That area had began to sort of oxidize and I never got it to look clear or deep. Keystone repainted the cap and I had them apply 2 new coats of clear coat. I've not had any trouble with the 303 since but mine is covered all of the time with the exception of traveling (3-5 mos. of the year) or when it's in the shop (approx. 1-2 mos. a year).

I will say that at times it is hard to get it to appear smooth but I've determined that 1) you cannot use micro fiber - it just doesn't absorb and 2) you have to have a good supply of clean cotton towels to remove it because the oily substance in it coats the towel being used to remove it and it starts leaving a residue pretty quickly.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
geobet

Thanks for input guys. My High Country was built June 2016. I bought it in Nov 2016. I've since put I don't know how many coats of wax on it. I even clayed the cap before waxing. Don't think its an oxidation thing, but maybe. Anyway, Sourdough, you may have hit on it. I'm probably over using the towel and not realizing its absorbing the oily substance. So, I'll keep at it. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't even wipe the 303 off my sidewalls. I wash the trailer, let it dry and the same day wipe on the 303. I don't let the trailer sit overnight, the dew up here has enough "stuff" in it to get the trailer dirty again. Sometimes the 303 will streak enough to see it in the glare, but by the first rain, that's gone and it's an even finish. Maybe I'm "easy to please" and "too lazy" but wiping something on to wipe it off??? Seems like more work and less beer time to me......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I don't even wipe the 303 off my sidewalls. I wash the trailer, let it dry and the same day wipe on the 303. I don't let the trailer sit overnight, the dew up here has enough "stuff" in it to get the trailer dirty again. Sometimes the 303 will streak enough to see it in the glare, but by the first rain, that's gone and it's an even finish. Maybe I'm "easy to please" and "too lazy" but wiping something on to wipe it off??? Seems like more work and less beer time to me......

I find the wax on/ wax off exercise is good for me and I don't have to miss out on the beer time.....

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...OA&searchidx=0
Old 04-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Two at a time, I'd never get finished.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Two at a time, I'd never get finished.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think that would be counter productive
Old 04-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
geobet

John, I hear ya about the beer time. Usually I gauge a job on the rig by the number of beers it'll take to do it or think about doing it. This 303 stuff was gauged at a 2 beer job. But, climbing up an 8' step ladder to do the front cap with beer in my tote while I waxed on and waxed off seemed like a bad idea at the time. Got aggravated, came inside, fired up the pc and issued my op then guzzled the 2 beers. I deserved it!!

Old 04-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

geobet,

I haven't done it this way yet, but have considered it... I'm thinking about buying an old-fashioned "liquid floor wax applicator" (the broomhandle/cloth applicator on the end kind) and pouring a cup of 303 in a meatloaf pan and applying it to the trailer sides with that kind of applicator. No ladder, no cussin' and no fussin'.....

As I said, I haven't done it that way yet, mostly because I keep forgetting to buy a wax applicator at WalMart and every time I get ready to put the 303 on, I'm rushed for time, wet, dirty and don't want to get dressed, go to town and get the darned applicator... So, up till now, I've climbed the ladder, used an old hand towel or a new wash cloth (if I can sneak one out of the house without getting caught)....

When the 303 dries, you'll see some streaks, but after the first rain, it's been my experience they're all gone.... I hope if you try it that way, you'll get the same results....

No need to make an easy job any harder than needed, wipe it on and get the beer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #11
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
Here in Florida, everything that is exposed to the sun takes a beating. My rig is parked beside my shop and is only exposed to the sun for 4-5 hours a day. I tried to apply 303 and it streaks like heck. I tried applying less 303...still streaks. Sucks! I've used clean towels, more pressure, less pressure, buffer, etc., and have run out of ideas. I like the concept but hate dealing with getting the streaks out. Anybody that uses this stuff got any ideas about why its giving me such a hard time?
Easiest way to apply IMO is to throw the stuff away and use paint sealant. I took the plunge on the rave reviews of 303 and no matter what i did I ended up with the same results as you. I'm a bit of a clean vehicle fanatic and just couldn't get the stuff to work. I most recently use the Wolfgang sealant (always trying new stuff), a little goes a long way easy on with a D/A buffer and wipe it off. I do it once a year as the 5er is only out when camping around 40-50 days a year is all. In between the sealant job I do wipe it down every once and awhile with some "instant detailer"

https://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-WG-5...=paint+sealant
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #12
Jetfixer03

I just finished doing my new Passport with 303 and it was a piece of cake. I would assume that the exterior material on all of our newer rigs is the same, so who knows why some have problems and some don't. But if you are having problems with 303 I second switching to a detailing spray. I use Maquire's detailing spray on my motorcycles all the time. I rarely do a full wash with water, a quick wipe down and they look beautiful. Much faster and it keeps the finish nice and moisturized. And I live on a dirt road. Granted, giving the once over to a bike is hardly comparable to a few hundred square feet of trailer, but the point is that detailing spray is quick, easy, and foolproof.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:22 AM   #13
Jetfixer03

Here's another thought. My trailer was virgin, no wax (I doubt the dealer waxed it). Maybe the 303 isn't reacting well with the wax you previously used. I'd consider washing the rig with Dawn dish soap to de-wax it, then try again. Or at least try it on a section.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:24 AM   #14
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
geobet,

I haven't done it this way yet, but have considered it... I'm thinking about buying an old-fashioned "liquid floor wax applicator" (the broomhandle/cloth applicator on the end kind) and pouring a cup of 303 in a meatloaf pan and applying it to the trailer sides with that kind of applicator. No ladder, no cussin' and no fussin'.....

As I said, I haven't done it that way yet, mostly because I keep forgetting to buy a wax applicator at WalMart and every time I get ready to put the 303 on, I'm rushed for time, wet, dirty and don't want to get dressed, go to town and get the darned applicator... So, up till now, I've climbed the ladder, used an old hand towel or a new wash cloth (if I can sneak one out of the house without getting caught)....

When the 303 dries, you'll see some streaks, but after the first rain, it's been my experience they're all gone.... I hope if you try it that way, you'll get the same results....

No need to make an easy job any harder than needed, wipe it on and get the beer.....
That's a great idea. We always have a few of those swiffer like things around to do the laminate floors with. I think I'll "borrow" one and give that a try. Sure beats dragging a ladder around and climbing up and down way too many times. That way me AND the beer can stay safe on the ground.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #15
geobet

Isn't this forum great??? Guys that know there stuff and like beer too! And where else can you go to get the best advice and opinions on everyday stuff. Thinking about it, jetfixxer's diagnosis is probably spot on. I probably have one or several coats of wax too many. Probably interacting with the 303.

KFXGREENIE - I like your approach. I was about to can the 303 but given the price -well....

CANESFAN - I like your approach also. I use a modified thingy like the Swiffer with an adjustable painting pole and a micro cloth to put on the detail stuff. Keeps both me and beer safe off the ladder.

For now, given that its already hotter here than the armpits of Satan, I'm gonna apply the Starbrite RV polish I have on hand. Both it and the Starbrite Boat detail spray have a good UV inhibitor, according to the rep I talked to at Starbrite and what I've learned on other forums. Both are pretty easy to wax on and wax off. Figure I've got enough wax on and sealers on the rig already that if I hit a large bump, cars following behind will have to dodge the stuff pealing off. Thanks to all for your input and suggestions. Really appreciated.