Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
5forcamping

outdoor fridge on battery?

Can the outdoor refrigerator run off the battery while in transit? My Trailmanor had this option which was great.
Speaking of batteries- I already had to replace it last weekend (came with trailer in March). It was so hot that I could barely touch it and steam came out after I took battery box cover off. Then I noticed about 2 inches of water in bottom of the box which I remedied by drilling holes through the bottom.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmm That just doesn't sound right..... 2" of "water" in the bottom of a battery box with a "new" 6 months ago battery that was too hot to touch...

I'm thinking the converter/charger isn't shutting off or the wiring somewhere is shorted causing the battery to consistently feed and charge....

It could be a "bad battery" but I'd sure do some checking before putting a new one in the box...

As for drilling holes in the bottom of the box, It might help with the "water" issue, but question should be, "Why is there 2" of liquid in my battery box?"

As for the refrigerator running on battery power while underway, I don't see why not if you have an inverter that you can plug into the 12VDC to power it, just be careful if you stop at an "attraction" and they kids get you sidetracked for several hours, could be an issue getting the TV started..... Also, expect less ability to recharge the trailer battery if you're using amps to power the reefer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
SLIMSHADIE

The outside fridge is 120v only. Need plugged into shore power or can have an inverter setup. I cool and fill up the outside fridge the night before and it stays cold for us in transit, mostly just a couple hours of a drive. I did drive 4-5 hours once and it raised 5-10 degrees higher but we only keep soda and beer in it.
Also sounds like your converter/charger is overcharging your batteries, you may need a replacement.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
5forcamping

As for the water in the box, we have had a lot of rain so I guess enough rain will get some water thru the little vent holes on lid of box.
I used a voltmeter on the cable leads for battery(after removing battery) and converter tested perfect - between 13.6 and 14.
The new battery was nice and cool over the 3 day weekend.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Leave the trailer plugged in and keep an eye on the battery/converter. It may well be charging at the correct voltage (which it is) but it might not be cutting off when the battery is charged. This would cause the battery to continue to "bubble" and eventually boil out (evaporate) the water in the electrolyte. Chances are, in a humid environment, that water wouldn't evaporate, but rather condense on the lid of the battery box and drip into the bottom tray.

Just because the converter "reads" correctly does not mean it charges correctly. Keep an eye on it and just make sure...

And... it might have just been a bad battery, but I'd be suspicious.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote