Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
TideLife

Question all our movies are black and white

I have a problem with my DVD player that came with the RV. The DVD player is a combo with ipod connection, radio, SD card slot, USB slot...the works. It is an iRV EX65000DVD and it is connected with a red,white, yellow component cable into the tv which is a Sansui SLED3200D/E/F/G/H.
The problem is that whenever a DVD is put in, it will play, however it will only play black and white. We have changed to new cables, switched around cables, and nothing changes it into color. There is no HDMI input to go that route. Please help. Thank you!
TideLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
austinp

Check your video settings on the TV. You should be on video 1 to view it in color. Mine did the same.
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
kellydog98

Pretty sure it's not your cables. When all else fail look in your TV 'how to' book and you'll find that you have a menu for B/W, Color, wide screen...etc. I'll bet it's all in there.

kellydog98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
TideLife

Thank you for the quick response, but there is no setting for Video 1 on it. We have been through all the settings on both the tv and the DVD player. So far we can't figure it out. We have a setting to change the screen ratio, and the "color" on the tv, but the only options in the color section is warm, cool, standard.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
TideLife

Ok, so the tv color works just fine with regular tv, and the tv menu works just fine in color when a dvd is playing. However, the movie is in black and white.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
kellydog98

Did the DVD come with a remote also? If so, try scrolling through the menu of the DVD remote. (I sure hope your not watching 'Young Frankenstien', Lol).

Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Check the cables from the DVD player to the tv. Is the video feed from the player (yellow) plugged into the a/v plug or the y in the component in? You may need to switch the input on the tv menu. IIRC sound isn't carried from the player to the tv.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
TideLife

We think we have figured it out....sort of. It appears that the DVD player is composite and the TV is component, they are not compatible. So, back to the dealership we shall go.
(we just purchased this TT in May this year).

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, we've tried them all, unfortunately to no avail.
I will post again after going to the dealership.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
kellydog98

Found this on youtube about composite dvd and component tv hook ups. Good Luck.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
outwest

From looking at a manual for a Sansui SLED 3200 tv, you should have composite in as well as component in. Look for three inputs that are all in a row (with a dotted line drawn around all three to show that they go together) with one of them yellow, one red, and one white. According to the manual I looked at, they're on the rear of the tv, directly below the audio out jacks.

The audio out can be used to send audio from tv back to the DVD player so that you can use the speakers that are mounted in the ceiling of the RV.

Manual I found that I *think* matches your tv http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/u...7822_PM_EN.pdf

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
campertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideLife View Post
We think we have figured it out....sort of. It appears that the DVD player is composite and the TV is component, they are not compatible. So, back to the dealership we shall go.
(we just purchased this TT in May this year).

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions, we've tried them all, unfortunately to no avail.
I will post again after going to the dealership.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

We have the same dvd/tv combo in our new TT. Everything worked fine during our first 10 day trip. DVD's played in full color and looked great. This weekend the kids put a dvd in and it was black & white. I went through all the cables, all the tv settings, and all the dvd settings but could not solve the issue.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Campy

Our old Coachman did the same thing and it turned out to be that there are two selections on the TV for the DVD player. Both will play and have sound but only one will have color. When you go into the TV settings to select the "source" try different ones till you find the color picture. When the tech showed me this I felt really stupid....
Campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
outwest

Does the player have a PAL/NTSC video format setting? (Some do, some don't, and some select correct one on their own) That *might* be the problem. Just a stab in the dark.

PAL is video format used in UK and some other countries
NTSC is format used in the U.S.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
campertime

Feeling dumb.... but I solved the problem while camping this weekend.

The Sansui TV in our Passport has the following outputs....
AV
Component
HDMI 1
HDMI 2
HDMI 3

The source was set to Component and DVD's played in black n white. As soon as I switched to AV by pushing the source button.... BOOM! color
Old 12-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
dylana40

Had same problem went tryed what campertime said and worked would have felt like a dumb butt if I would have took it back to dealer for something that simple
dylana40 is offline   Reply With Quote