Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
danjentravels

dvd player will only show in black n white

Hi all 2014 cougar high country 337fls and first trip out this weekend . Trying to play a dvd and it eill only show up in black and white on the tv . Want to check the wiring in back of stereo unit but cant figure out how to get unit out of it's housing. It definately has a trim plate around the head unit and that is the part I cant get off . If anyone can school me on this please let me know. We have gone through all the books and tv stereo set ups and nothing works. My guess is head unit has mixed up wiring .
danjentravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The trim plate should just pull away from the unit. It's a friction grip type of arrangement. Slip your fingernails under the edge and try to pry it off, it should just pop right out. Then you'll find four #2 square drive screws holding the unit into the cabinet. be careful pulling the unit out, there are a "bazillion" wires behind it, if you happen to pull several off the connections, it will not be fun to find which goes where..... Also, while you're back there, your AM/FM antenna is coiled up amongst those wires. If you straighten it out, possibly run it down one of the access holes, you'll get much better radio reception.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
danjentravels

Thanx for the tip. I will give it a try tomorrow am. Some other kinks I am working out right now my wife says are more important. Lol. Who's the boss!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjentravels View Post
Some other kinks I am working out right now my wife says are more important. Lol. Who's the boss!
Welcome to the workforce. Some day we will have to unionize. Till then I will keep working on the "Honey-Do list". Just glad I am not alone.

Sounds like one of the connections came loose. I'm not sure how newer ones are but mine is "R""B""G" for video, if one is loose you get black and white. Did you check the connections on the tv??? Good luck, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
danjentravels

Yes I checked the tv connections and all seems good. I have yet to pop the front cover off of stereo as I feel I may break it. I might just have a tech come to our site and have a look see. I also am thinking it is a loose connection . At least thats what I am hoping. Warranty is a wonderful thing though if needed!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
Bombfixer

I am a man who likes things simple. This might sound crazy to you, but two things I would try before I go chasing electrical demons. Try your DVD in another player, maybe the DVD is defective. Try another DVD in your RV player that you know is good. Sometimes it can be that simple. Otherwise good hunting for those electrical demons.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
berg

Many TV's share both an RGB video connection (3 cable) with a standard Yellow single video connection. Double check that the input on the back of the TV from the DVD unit (yellow) is going into the correct spot. I just fixed this on a 2014 High Country over the weekend that had the same issue. The spot for the yellow in this case was marked in yellow with a green ring around it on the TV. Could be easy to miss.

Our TV in the Outback was doing the same thing when we first tried it and it was simply user error. AV1 input vs. Component input. Component input showed black and white with little to no volume - that was the RGB connection. Switching to AV1 worked like a charm.

Your TV probably has multiple inputs - try them all after you double check the cables into the TV before you go tearing anything apart!
Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
ColoChuck

+1 on that Component versus AV input mode selection on the TV. On our first trip we went to watch a DVD and it was Black & White. Well, I then selected AV instead of Component and magically, (just like at the beginning of Wizard of OZ), the picture changed to full color!!

There sure are a lot of little things you learn as you go. Well, hopefully we learn.

2011 Ford F150 Lariat EcoBoost & SuperSprings
2014 Springdale 247FWRLLS
ColoChuck is offline   Reply With Quote