Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Jekell

Heating 5th wheel

I will be taking delivery of my 2013 Alpine next weekend and will not have the dealer winterize it because I plan to test out before heading home. 2 questions for the forum are:
Can I just blow system out for a dry winterization?
Will 15 amp house power run the trailer furnace to keep insides above freezing?
Jekell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
jje1960

Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekell View Post
I will be taking delivery of my 2013 Alpine next weekend and will not have the dealer winterize it because I plan to test out before heading home. 2 questions for the forum are:
Can I just blow system out for a dry winterization?
Will 15 amp house power run the trailer furnace to keep insides above freezing?
Yes, compressed air is one of two methods, the other being antifreeze. Yes, 15 amp is enough, the furnace is actually on a 12V battery circuit, keep the battery charged and no problem.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Don't forget that the trailer furnace runs on propane, not 110VAC; and, as the previous poster mentioned it is on the 12DC circuit. If you are referring to a small, portable heater "furnace" which uses 110VAC, then you should be ok.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
MarkS

It is probably already winterized. They usually come from the factory that way. You may have to flush the pink out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Jekell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
It is probably already winterized. They usually come from the factory that way. You may have to flush the pink out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
We have discussed that already, they are aware that I will want the tanks full to check for leaks,. Plan to use compressed air when return home, and just add antifreeze to the drains and toilet.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #6
Jekell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Don't forget that the trailer furnace runs on propane, not 110VAC; and, as the previous poster mentioned in is on the 12DC circuit. If you are referring to a small, portable heater "furnace" which uses 110VAC, then you should be ok.
I didn't know the furnace ran on the propane, good to know.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #7
ctpd814

If you have the fireplace, it runs off of 110v not propane. The fireplace will keep the interior warm or use a small 110v space heater. The propane furnace is not very efficient and would be very expensive to operate for that long constantly IMO.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
geo

However, if you don't run the furnace, the underbelly will freeze and the tanks and plumbing will freeze. If you are in northern NM, even running the furnace will not keep the underbelly warm enough. Use the Search and look for some of the Mods we did to our Alpine - tank heaters, insulation, air circulation in the underbelly. Look at some of the posts from new Alpine owners during the winter of 2010, and their "freezing" experiences. It does take some planning and work to make an Alpine a four seasons RV. And the process may violate the warranty.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Jekell

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
However, if you don't run the furnace, the underbelly will freeze and the tanks and plumbing will freeze. If you are in northern NM, even running the furnace will not keep the underbelly warm enough. Use the Search and look for some of the Mods we did to our Alpine - tank heaters, insulation, air circulation in the underbelly. Look at some of the posts from new Alpine owners during the winter of 2010, and their "freezing" experiences. It does take some planning and work to make an Alpine a four seasons RV. And the process may violate the warranty.

Ron
The underbelly is my main concern as for keeping everything from freezing. I am in the North West Corner of NM, so far our coldest temp at night has been 26, we are still warming to 60 during the day. I will do the search and check the threads. Much appreciated!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
mikell

you may also have a heat pump / ac unit but 15 amps is not really enough to run it
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
mikell

On a side note it's 31 out and the heat pump vent in the bedroom is 99 degrees and just shut off. Happy with the heat pump.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote