Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

Champion generator question

I had not started my Champion generator in quite awhile and since it is raining hard and that often means power outages, tried a test start. Battery wouldn't turn the generator over. It is only a 7aH 20 hr. battery so it is on the charger now. Question is, should the generator be able to be started using the pull start with no battery in place? I gave it a few pulls but no luck. If it should be able to be started, will need to clean the carburetor tomorrow (have done this in the past). The carb main jet is down in the bottom of the bowl and subject to clogging just like a lawnmower.

Should the generator start with no battery in place?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Canonman

It should. Once your key is in "run" mode the battery is our of the loop. I don't have a Champion, but our 3000 does start w/o the battery. When the battery died, I just removed it and only use the pull start now.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Logan X

Do you have a carburetor repair business or am I just making that up? I thought maybe you rebuilt motorcycle carburetors, which would obviously be handy in this situation.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Just wondered if the thing would start with no battery using the pull cord. I have removed the carburetor on the Champion and cleaned it in 15 minutes in the daylight but at night it takes much longer and includes fumbling. Power hasn't gone out so it can wait till tomorrow. You just have to pull the bowl and don't need to do anything else to the carburetor and yes I do vintage Japanese motorcycle carburetors rebuilding and sales; 14th year of congealed corn-gas.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
Huntme

check your Gas,put Non Ethonal Fuel in it,turn the fuel valve to open,and pull the cord,it should start,check the spark plug,as well.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
gearhead

That corn gas is a wonderful thing for carb rebuilders!
Y'all have any no ethanol up there in Mico?
None down here in my area. Easiest for me is Louisiana.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If I remember correctly, in Champion generators with electric start, the battery is connected to the stator/voltage regulator. If the battery is dead, it may "draw down the stator output" and cause the generator to not develop a "spark". Disconnecting the dead battery would eliminate that problem. I think they (Champion) took that comment out of the owner's manual about 5 years ago. Not sure if it was because they changed the wiring or just didn't want to address the issue any longer....

As for starting, with fresh gas, a "squirt of starting fluid" usually will get it started. If there's enough fuel flow to clear the "corn residue" it'll keep running, if not, cleaning the bowl and possibly the jets is the next step.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just wondered if the thing would start with no battery using the pull cord. I have removed the carburetor on the Champion and cleaned it in 15 minutes in the daylight but at night it takes much longer and includes fumbling. Power hasn't gone out so it can wait till tomorrow. You just have to pull the bowl and don't need to do anything else to the carburetor and yes I do vintage Japanese motorcycle carburetors rebuilding and sales; 14th year of congealed corn-gas.
I was by no means trying to call you out or anything like that. I meant my comment as a compliment not criticism. I just wanted to clarify my intent because it doesn’t always come out right...

I have a great appreciation for skilled mechanics.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I was by no means trying to call you out or anything like that. I meant my comment as a compliment not criticism. I just wanted to clarify my intent because it doesn’t always come out right...

I have a great appreciation for skilled mechanics.
Didn't take your comment wrong. I know what to do to get a small engine started; just wasn't sure if I needed to clean the carburetor since the genny didn't even sound close to starting without the battery in. I didn't try it before taking the battery to the shop to put it on a float charger. I also bought another battery because when a little 6 cell discharges they may never be the same again as the plates sulphate and don't hold a charge well. A new battery was only $18 and will hold it on a shelf if this one works.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Follow up... charged the little genny battery with a 12V low voltage float charger and installed. Generator fired right up. Carburetor wasn't gummed. Suspect the ignition doesn't work with the battery out but can't swear this is the reason I couldn't pull start it. Guessing the ignition has to be on but not sure about the OFF/RUN/START switch position and don't recall how that was set. Hopefully no power outages in the near future.

In our area of Texas, if it doesn't rain for quite awhile, the power lines get dust/dirt on them and when these get wet, they get heavy/sag and the lines can snap (at least this is what I have been told). We haven't had much serious rain in awhile until this weekend.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #11
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Follow up... charged the little genny battery with a 12V low voltage float charger and installed. Generator fired right up. Carburetor wasn't gummed. Suspect the ignition doesn't work with the battery out but can't swear this is the reason I couldn't pull start it. Guessing the ignition has to be on but not sure about the OFF/RUN/START switch position and don't recall how that was set. Hopefully no power outages in the near future.

In our area of Texas, if it doesn't rain for quite awhile, the power lines get dust/dirt on them and when these get wet, they get heavy/sag and the lines can snap (at least this is what I have been told). We haven't had much serious rain in awhile until this weekend.
In our area of Texas if it doesn't rain for quite a while, 4 days, the lines get brittle and break.
Please stop raining. The river (Trinity) in my backyard is out of its banks. Been like this for 3-4 years. I heard they're catching crappie in Galveston Bay.
I've got 48 gallons of ethanol gas in the boat and some of it is getting really old.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator