Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
sonofcy

8K axles, disc brakes installers in PNW?

I want to upgrade my overweight 2017 Montana to 8k axles and disc brakes. I will be travelling down from BC in July 2021 and need the names of places that can do this kind of work in WA, OR or northern CA. Thanks.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
bobbecky

I went through Performance Trailer Braking last year and had our disc brakes installed at a rally in Coos Bay, OR. The installer, Bill Perrin, comes out of Sutherlin, OR, but if you go with PTB, they will arrange for an installer to go to you for the install, and they do brakes and suspension upgrades too. https://www.performancetrailerbraking.com/
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:21 PM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
I want to upgrade my overweight 2017 Montana to 8k axles and disc brakes. I will be travelling down from BC in July 2021 and need the names of places that can do this kind of work in WA, OR or northern CA. Thanks.
You know those kinds of upgrades will not change the trailers GVWR. The only recourse is to get the federal certification label's GVWR modified. The only ones authorized to do that are the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier.

If your trailer is registered in BC they have strict laws about being over the certified GVWR weight limit. See the link below.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/referen...82003)GVWR.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
I went through Performance Trailer Braking last year and had our disc brakes installed at a rally in Coos Bay, OR. The installer, Bill Perrin, comes out of Sutherlin, OR, but if you go with PTB, they will arrange for an installer to go to you for the install, and they do brakes and suspension upgrades too. https://www.performancetrailerbraking.com/
I was looking at the PTB website but didn't find any info re installers. I will contact them directly to see what they can arrange.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:37 PM   #5
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
You know those kinds of upgrades will not change the trailers GVWR. The only recourse is to get the federal certification label's GVWR modified. The only ones authorized to do that are the vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier.

If your trailer is registered in BC they have strict laws about being over the certified GVWR weight limit. See the link below.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/referen...82003)GVWR.pdf
I realize I will not be able to change the GVWR, I just want better brakes and tires. Upgrading the axles is a 'just in case' I have taken steps to reduce our weight but have not been able to re-weigh it yet.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
notanlines

Ron, being the nosey guy that I am, can you tell me what on/in your RV would
bring your total past the 3300 pounds 0f cargo capacity? Our Raptor had accumulated 1900 pounds of 'stuff' after five years of fairly constant occupation. I can't imagine where another 1400 pounds would come from.
Thanks...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
I was looking at the PTB website but didn't find any info re installers. I will contact them directly to see what they can arrange.
Also MorRyde, think they have a shop in Oregon, can do the independent suspensions (IS) with disc brake upgrade which is by far the best upgrade over the solid axles on heavy 5th wheels. They will weigh your 5er & add the appropriate suspension components for that weight + awesome customer service.
PTB did my disc brake install on site where we were workkamping in Arizona a few years ago & did a great job. At the time I also upgraded to 17.5" H rated tires & wheels from PTB. Couldn't quite swing the $$$ for the IS at the time & since have temporarily gotten out of rving.
Whether you go the IS or not you won't regret the disc brake upgrade, they're a night/day difference over the drum brakes.
Unfortunately with the lock down stay at home mess currently going on you may not be able to have either done til all this crap is over (hopefully soon).
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #8
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Ron, being the nosey guy that I am, can you tell me what on/in your RV would
bring your total past the 3300 pounds 0f cargo capacity? Our Raptor had accumulated 1900 pounds of 'stuff' after five years of fairly constant occupation. I can't imagine where another 1400 pounds would come from.
Thanks...
Just took a quick look at the sticker and it says 2,337 load capacity. Not sure if that includes fresh, grey, black or what. Yes it's a mystery to me where my wife has packed in an extra 1,570 lbs over and above the factory documented load. The only other observation I have is that I know the factory has been caught in the past misquoting some weights, they are only policed on one or two weights if I am remembering correctly, so who knows what the trailer weighed out the door, for all I know the empty weight is a lot more and I have the same stuff as you so that pushed me over the GVWR.

All I can determine myself is what it weighs when I find the next set of scales, hopefully in July 2021 when we move again.

I can tell you that at the heaviest weight of 18,275, pin of 4,125 both the F450 was over by 325 and the trailer by 1,570 it still went over the mountains with ease and more important went downhill with both my feet flat on the floor with cruise and auto engine braking on.

I am not content that I was over, but no breakable component was over by more than 3.6% and since then I have offloaded a decent amount.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
CWtheMan

Quote:
Just took a quick look at the sticker and it says 2,337 load capacity. Not sure if that includes fresh, grey, black or what. Yes it's a mystery to me where my wife has packed in an extra 1,570 lbs over and above the factory documented load. The only other observation I have is that I know the factory has been caught in the past misquoting some weights, they are only policed on one or two weights if I am remembering correctly, so who knows what the trailer weighed out the door, for all I know the empty weight is a lot more and I have the same stuff as you so that pushed me over the GVWR.

All I can determine myself is what it weighs when I find the next set of scales, hopefully in July 2021 when we move again.

I can tell you that at the heaviest weight of 18,275, pin of 4,125 both the F450 was over by 325 and the trailer by 1,570 it still went over the mountains with ease and more important went downhill with both my feet flat on the floor with cruise and auto engine braking on.

I am not content that I was over, but no breakable component was over by more than 3.6% and since then I have offloaded a decent amount.
That 2337 load capacity is figured for an empty trailer, devoid of everything except factory installed options.

All water tanks hold cargo. The capacity of all your tanks is published. To get the maximum cargo they hold, I use, to be on the safe side, 8.3# for each gallon.

There are strict rules for the vehicle manufacturer and their participating retailers to apply when adding weight to a factory completed trailer. Those rules took effect in 2010 and are part of the FMVSS (standards) which are explained in FMVSS 571.110/.120. For .120 the explanation starts in paragraph S10.4.

Note: I seriously doubt you could keep your axels from being overloaded when being 1570# over GVWR. Upgrading axle load capacity does not change the trailer's GAWR values. That can only be done by a vehicle modifier or the vehicle manufacturer.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #10
sonofcy

Quote:
That 2337 load capacity is figured for an empty trailer, devoid of everything except factory installed options.

All water tanks hold cargo. The capacity of all your tanks is published. To get the maximum cargo they hold, I use, to be on the safe side, 8.3# for each gallon.

There are strict rules for the vehicle manufacturer and their participating retailers to apply when adding weight to a factory completed trailer. Those rules took effect in 2010 and are part of the FMVSS (standards) which are explained in FMVSS 571.110/.120. For .120 the explanation starts in paragraph S10.4.

Note: I seriously doubt you could keep your axels from being overloaded when being 1570# over GVWR. Upgrading axle load capacity does not change the trailer's GAWR values. That can only be done by a vehicle modifier or the vehicle manufacturer.
Front axle was 6,900, rear axle 7,250.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Weight accumulation is a common issue that creeps up on you. I've fought the "creep" all my life personally, but this isn't about me being overweight.

We all do it. We want those rugs, extra cloths, extra toys, etc. How many of us see something we think would "be great for the camper" and buy it? It's only natural. No, let's hear how many of us buy that Lodge cast iron cookware and when you store it away you remove the equivalent weight from the trailer and leave it home? Anyone? Yah, thought so, the sound of crickets.

Spring is here. I'd challenge anyone to give you're camper a good cleaning, end to end. Empty every cabinet, every compartment, every nook and every cranny like you were going to sell the camper. Now go look at that pile. I'll bet you will be surprised at the amount of accumulated "stuff" even over a relatively short time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #12
CWtheMan

Quote:
Front axle was 6,900, rear axle 7,250.
Using the figures you provided in post #8 I already knew you were 150# over total GAWR. I just didn't know if it was evenly or unevenly distributed.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:

The pin is carrying most of the extra 1570, the axles are only carrying an extra 250 on one axle and 150 total (+250-100).
Old 04-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #14
Snoking

Simley's in Mount Vernon, Wa does good work.

(360) 424-7338

http://smileysinc.com/

I used them to "flip axles" and later fix cracked I-beams on a 2005 trailer.

Chris

Tags
axle, brakes