Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
Hr42010

What converter and charger do i need

So im installing 3 200w solar panels and already have a 100w on it so im looking at a total of 700w of solar and might get more in the future. Need to know what kind of controller to get i have a 200ah lithium battery which im also thinking of adding a second one to sometime in future? I also need to put in a new converter. Need to know what kind to get? My battery is rated for 40a to100a charge at 14.6v max. I have a wfco-8955 distribution panel and they told me to replace it with the wfco-8950l2-mba anybody having any experience with those. I know they are 3stage but i figured i should go with more amps something around 75a mainly for the battery? I am going to install a 8000w max 4000w continuous inverter to the panel on the shore power line with an auto switch. Any tips someone told me when i remove the old converter i should have a switch in there i can pull out and use. No pics yet as i havent started project still need certain parts.
Hr42010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You're investing that much money on a 30 year old Toyota motorhome conversion???

Or do you have an RV other than what is in your profile ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You're investing that much money on a 30 year old Toyota motorhome conversion???

Or do you have an RV other than what is in your profile ???
My thoughts exactly. He'll end up with more value on the roof than the MH is worth. I don't know what model that MH is but most of the Toyota chassis are fairly small. Have you checked the roof for enough space for what you have planned? Have you checked where you are going to store all the batteries?

I think it would serve you well to take a good hard realistic look at what appliances you WANT to run and what's REALISTIC to run on batteries. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars anmd end up running the air conditioner for maybe 10 min. There are several folks here that have real world experience with boon docking and running a coffee maker or other small appliances. Running larger appliances like an A/C unit, or induction heater, etc. on an inverter takes a lot of reserve battery capacity and a very substantial amount of solar energy to replenish it.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
Hr42010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My thoughts exactly. He'll end up with more value on the roof than the MH is worth. I don't know what model that MH is but most of the Toyota chassis are fairly small. Have you checked the roof for enough space for what you have planned? Have you checked where you are going to store all the batteries?

I think it would serve you well to take a good hard realistic look at what appliances you WANT to run and what's REALISTIC to run on batteries. You can spend thousands and thousands of dollars anmd end up running the air conditioner for maybe 10 min. There are several folks here that have real world experience with boon docking and running a coffee maker or other small appliances. Running larger appliances like an A/C unit, or induction heater, etc. on an inverter takes a lot of reserve battery capacity and a very substantial amount of solar energy to replenish it.

I wish you all the best in your endeavor.
Oh yeah i got plenty of room im not even spending half of what this thing costs. Like i said i might by another battery or more panels. Not sure yet once i get all this hooked up it might suite my needs quite nicely. But my generator wont start plus im not a fan of wasting gasoline. But i will be spending most of my days in here and traveling once its done also and these engines will last me another 20-30years easy i bet. And if not i can pull it all off and put it on the next one i get so im not too worried about all that! I also have very temperature sensitive things going on that are personal issues that i shouldnt have to explain of why i need those things i think thats a bit more important than a cup of coffee as i live in here!
Old 04-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
Hr42010

Battery 800 solar panels 550 inverter 300 so all i got left is cost of converter switch if i still need one and the controller and barely spent 2000. I dont see that as ridiculous when im sure that will save me the price of gas on a generator in less than a year!!!!!!! I just asked for advice on those 2 things not if its worth it for my motorhome!! Please keep comments directed to the questions!!! Please and Thank you!!

Tags
converter