Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
busterbrown

Alaska Bound...

We’re in the last 100 days of planning our biggest family RV vacation ever, a transcontinental trip to the last frontier state. We originate from SE Michigan in early June and we’ll spend the following 7 weeks exploring Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, and Alaska. Our itinerary isn’t set in stone as we have only made one reservation so far, Teklanika River CG deep in the one and only Denali National Park.

As this is a huge endeavor for us, the DW and I are looking for all the advice, recommendations, and guidance we can get. We’ve put together a “very loose”, tentative “schedule” that may (or may not) change. We’ve scoured the internet, spoke with family and friends, and have joined a couple of social media groups. Asking an RV owners forum just may be the cherry on the cake.

Our trips begins from the Sweet Grass, MT border crossing to Dawson City for a 12 day northern push:
  • Calgary: possibly a trip to the zoo for the kids.
  • Banff NP/Jasper NP/ Lake Louise
  • Dawson Creek: Mile Post 0
  • Liard River Hot Springs
  • Whitehorse, YT
  • Sign Post Forest
  • Top Of The World Highway to Dawson City

ALASKA IN 28 DAYS
  • Chicken Alaska (Chicken Stock 2020 Festival)
  • Fairbanks and the Summer Solstice Midnight Sun Festival (June 21)
  • Arctic Circle via Dalton Highway (3 Days approximately)
  • Denali NP: 3 days booked at Teklanika CG
  • Dog Sledding Tour
  • Healy, AK, the Stampede trail, and the Magic Bus
  • Seward, AK
  • Kenai Fjords NP (Hike Exit Glacier)
  • Alaska Sealife Center visit.
  • Wildlife cruise out of Seward
  • Somewhere on the Kenai Peninsula: Float plane excursion for bear and wildlife viewing
  • Whittier and Portage Glacier
  • Homer and the spit
  • Soldotna
  • Valdez and the Salmon Goulch Hatchery
  • Bridal Veil and Horsetail Falls
  • Haines, AK-Ferry the RV over to Skagway, AK
  • Hyder, AK / Steward, BC.

This is just a simple compilation of things we’d like to see and experience. The real list seems endless. There is only one day that we are undecided on, July 4. Many say stay away from Seward on the weekend due to the sheer number of people and recklessness. Others say it's worth it.

The final leg home is currently undetermined. Suggestions are welcomed for keeping the boys happy during the last 8 or 9 days of the journey home. This leg will most likely start after we visit Hyder.

Again, any tips, suggestions or even referrals are greatly appreciated. We’re not trying to keep a strict itinerary or daily agenda. We'd rather keep options open for sights and points of interest and plan those based on weather and current location. Unfortunately, In Denali, a reservation was required. Brownie points for anyone native to Alaska or Western Canada (or anyone with extensive travel along these general routes) that can offer up more unique, "off-the-beaten-path" experiences.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
bfam5

Sounds like a great adventure! If you have time, you should check out the KYD channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEh...t8McryMf_DHLZQ
They have a whole season where they did a trip to Alaska. It's on my list.

2017 Springdale 260TBWE
2009 Rockwood HW276 (sold)
2006 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 6.5' bed
bfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
notanlines

Chris, you rascal, I believe you have taken the cake so far for summer adventures planned. We would go just for another piece of bumbleberry pie at the Klondike Rib and Salmon restaurant. We simply cannot wait to hear about your kids seeing black bears playing along side the highway in British Columbia!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:30 PM   #4
Gord

From Stewart/Hyder south to Kitwanga on Hwy 16 right turn will take you to Prince Rupert. Ferry to Haida Gwaii and then back to Prince Rupert. Follow Hwy 16 to Prince George. At PG you can continue to follow HWY 16 down to Tete Jaune Cache where you can head east to Jasper.
Or at PG you can turn onto Hwy 97 and head south towards Vancouver. Would suggest a stop at Barkerville. Still heading south on 97 turn right at Hwy 99 and follow it (also known as the Duffy Lake road). It is steep and narrow but well paved 2 lane Hwy mostly posted at 60 Kilometers per hour. You will come to Pemberton and then Whistler where I would suggest the peak to peak gondola. After Whistler it is a short drive, a couple of hours.

We did the Alaska trip a couple of years ago, it was great. The only disappointment was that we couldn't camp in Denali because we had our dog with us.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:17 AM   #5
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfam5 View Post
Sounds like a great adventure! If you have time, you should check out the KYD channel on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEh...t8McryMf_DHLZQ
They have a whole season where they did a trip to Alaska. It's on my list.
Joe,

Yes, I've seen several of their Alaskan videos...but not all. I'm trying to avoid watching too many YT videos so the experience can be raw and less predictable for all of us. I'd rather live through my own adventures, then watch them happen ahead of time. I do, however, love reading about other's experiences in many of the same places we plan on visiting. This is why I'm keen on asking questions and receiving recommendations....a reason I partake on these discussion boards.

I hope you're able to make it up one day. 87 days and counting for us.

Chris.

Old 03-06-2020, 02:35 AM   #6
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Chris, you rascal, I believe you have taken the cake so far for summer adventures planned. We would go just for another piece of bumbleberry pie at the Klondike Rib and Salmon restaurant. We simply cannot wait to hear about your kids seeing black bears playing along side the highway in British Columbia!
Jim,

Klondike may be our last stop on the Alcan before we head north on the "Klondike". Outstanding reviews on Google. Thanks for the tip.

All three boys received their own set of binocs for Christmas. All are excited to see any species of bear, up close and personal. Throw in some moose, bison, mountain goat, dall sheep, and orca's and the boys will have some serious memories. My oldest (the 9 year old) wants to hike a glacier in the hopes of seeing one. He may be more excited than I am.

Chris

Old 03-06-2020, 02:58 AM   #7
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
From Stewart/Hyder south to Kitwanga on Hwy 16 right turn will take you to Prince Rupert. Ferry to Haida Gwaii and then back to Prince Rupert. Follow Hwy 16 to Prince George. At PG you can continue to follow HWY 16 down to Tete Jaune Cache where you can head east to Jasper.
Or at PG you can turn onto Hwy 97 and head south towards Vancouver. Would suggest a stop at Barkerville. Still heading south on 97 turn right at Hwy 99 and follow it (also known as the Duffy Lake road). It is steep and narrow but well paved 2 lane Hwy mostly posted at 60 Kilometers per hour. You will come to Pemberton and then Whistler where I would suggest the peak to peak gondola. After Whistler it is a short drive, a couple of hours.

We did the Alaska trip a couple of years ago, it was great. The only disappointment was that we couldn't camp in Denali because we had our dog with us.
Gordon,

Thanks for return route suggestion. I don't know if we'll have enough time for such a western swing. We'd like to head eastward after Prince George. Whistler sounds amazing but it would bring us back into the US via Washington state. We'd like to be east of the Rockies prior to re-entry, especially after such an extensive drive. But it's we have no return plan yet. So anything's possible. I've always wanted to see Whittier too...well more like ski Whittier.

We have our Boston Terrier going with us and as far as I know, there aren't any unusual restrictions for dogs (pets) with RVers. They just have to be kept on leash and inside when away from the camper. Teklanika is described to be a great off-grid adventure as one is as deep into Denali as is allowed in an RV. The only risk is a "possible" road closure beyond that campground deeper into the park as there are threatening rock slides on the main park road. I hope that's not the case as I'm looking forward to being one of the 30% of visitors to capture Mt Denali's elusive beauty. Apparently she's shy and is always hiding in the clouds.

Chris

Old 03-06-2020, 04:52 AM   #8
chunker

In 16 we took an AK trip on a caravan with Fantasy RV. That particular trip was the "your way" and was 62 days. Only 6 organized pre-paid events so we could do what we wanted when and where we wanted. The overnight stops were included in the cost. We were prepared to walk away if the "leaders" were dictatorial or otherwise unpleasant but it turned out to be good for us.

That particular trip didn't go to Chicken so no comments there. Re Denali, staying in the park better than in town. We drove up to the Arctic Circle from Fairbanks and back and an all day trip but fun. Three of us went in a Jeep convoy. About half way I recall a "campground", a couple tourist traps and a really expensive fuel stop. Only game in town. At the Arctic Circle itself there isn't anything except a sign and small picnic area. While we were eating lunch various van tour groups showed up, took the obligatory pictures and moved on. We did position the 3 Jeeps next to the sign for our picture. Somewhere on the way back stopped and "got the T-shirt".

If you like fishing, Homer. Campground on a spit on the bay, minimal facilities like everything up that way but nice view and level. Halibut capital of the world. Kenai also fishing destination but didn't catch anything on a river drift. Your trip idea looks good.

There are limited campground/RV parks up there and amenities are usually limited. The RV season is short so few places put much extra in them. Make sure you have a good electrical surge guard/EMS. Adjustable water pressure regulator. No problem because there will be lots to do and see that should NOT involve the campground. You'll see the same RVs at various times since "everyone" goes the same places and not many backwoods roads you will take in an RV. Often people would just park on a wide spot on the side for the night. Milepost magazine worth getting. There will be construction, you just won't know where or when. It will be different coming and going. Due to weather there is limited road repair time.

Enjoy.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:34 AM   #9
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
In 16 we took an AK trip on a caravan with Fantasy RV. That particular trip was the "your way" and was 62 days. Only 6 organized pre-paid events so we could do what we wanted when and where we wanted. The overnight stops were included in the cost. We were prepared to walk away if the "leaders" were dictatorial or otherwise unpleasant but it turned out to be good for us.

That particular trip didn't go to Chicken so no comments there. Re Denali, staying in the park better than in town. We drove up to the Arctic Circle from Fairbanks and back and an all day trip but fun. Three of us went in a Jeep convoy. About half way I recall a "campground", a couple tourist traps and a really expensive fuel stop. Only game in town. At the Arctic Circle itself there isn't anything except a sign and small picnic area. While we were eating lunch various van tour groups showed up, took the obligatory pictures and moved on. We did position the 3 Jeeps next to the sign for our picture. Somewhere on the way back stopped and "got the T-shirt".

If you like fishing, Homer. Campground on a spit on the bay, minimal facilities like everything up that way but nice view and level. Halibut capital of the world. Kenai also fishing destination but didn't catch anything on a river drift. Your trip idea looks good.

There are limited campground/RV parks up there and amenities are usually limited. The RV season is short so few places put much extra in them. Make sure you have a good electrical surge guard/EMS. Adjustable water pressure regulator. No problem because there will be lots to do and see that should NOT involve the campground. You'll see the same RVs at various times since "everyone" goes the same places and not many backwoods roads you will take in an RV. Often people would just park on a wide spot on the side for the night. Milepost magazine worth getting. There will be construction, you just won't know where or when. It will be different coming and going. Due to weather there is limited road repair time.

Enjoy.
David,

Thanks for all the tid bits of information and helpful advice.

The "caravan" travel style never interested me. I'd consider a smaller 2-3 rig caravan that would fit our causal but impromptu pace. Conformity to a pre-set itinerary would work well with my wife either.

With Denali, I'm hopeful that the park road is open during our time in Alaska as we have purchased "Tek bus passes" to visit Wonder Lake, deep into the park. That's the main reason we're staying 3 nights at Teklanika.

The Arctic circle tour was something always on my bucket list. In fact, a "swim" in the Arctic Ocean was more my motivating factor. But there would no way the wife would want to drive Prudhoe Bay and there is no way I'd subject my trailer to the roads past the Arctic circle.

So then there is the Dempster Hwy that also makes its way to the Arctic Ocean via the NWT in Canada. It is doable, even with a trailer in tow, but it's nearly 16 hours in one direction. That's 4-5 days of travel from Dawson City to Tuktoyaktuk. Not sure I can keep the little one's happy that long for a check on the ole bucket list.

From what I've read, Homer should be a blast for us. Can't wait to visit the spit, hopefully being able to camp close to it. A halibut fishing trip is planned too.

We already have a Surge Guard EMS unit so that will cover our butts with surges and poor wiring. We plan on dry camping much of our time there as I've invested in a 300 amp hour AGM battery bank and a DC to DC Renogy vehicle charger. We'll supplement with a gas inverter generator (in the mornings and evenings) to keep the bank topped off.

"Check" on the adjustable water pressure regulator. Have used one for 3 season now. Purchased a 2019 copy of the Mile Post late last year so I've been told to treat it like an "RV to Alaska bible". I've also read that many of the same RVs will be seen at different destinations as there are only so many roads. That will allow for some good conversations with similar minded folks.

Thanks again for the tips. 86 days and counting.

Old 03-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #10
bfam5

Ooh, the Arctic ocean is also on my list. I may probably opt for the tour leaving from Fairbanks instead if subjecting my equipment to the road to Prudhoe Bay.

2017 Springdale 260TBWE
2009 Rockwood HW276 (sold)
2006 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 6.5' bed
bfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote