Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2020, 05:49 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
Ditto. I have created picture albums for all our camping trips over the past 7 years or so.
I took the pictures, when the SD card is full, I move them to a big USB memory stick and when it's full, I get another memory stick and store that one in the "pictures waiting to be filed in picture albums" section of my top desk drawer.

Sooner or later I'll get around to making those albums, either "digital" "on line" or printed photos (I bought all the photo paper and even a new printer with that in mind)…

Sooner or later.... I justify my delay as "de-stressing" after all those years of having an electric rope around my neck. When I was first "on call" I had to stay home and "wait for the call". Then along came pagers that beeped and I had to call "the service" for a message, then pagers evolved to "voice pagers" that would deliver a short (up to 5 second) message. Next came "digital pagers" followed by cell phones (oh that old Nokia) and then the blackberry (calloused sided on both thumbs) and now "big screen smart phones. When I retired, after 50+ years of that "electric noose" I quit "cold turkey" and haven't carried a "device" since then. I do have an AT&T smart phone (pay as you go) for $100 a year, renewable by paying any remaining balance (10 cents a minute or 20 cents a text) to bring the balance back to $100 for the next year. Last year, it cost me $14 to renew my phone. It sits in the compartment on the dash of my truck, primarily for an emergency. It's connected to the "Dial 911 in the event the air bags deploy system".

I'm "no longer addicted to being connected and honestly, don't want a trailer with the "In-Command System" precisely for that reason. I DO NOT want to be forced to have that "electronic noose" in order to function, especially when dry camping, 50 miles into the forest, at a pristine glacial lake, relaxing by a campfire, and having to find my device to open the awning so I don't have to move away from that perfect view of a mother moose and her calf, down by the water's edge.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 AM   #22
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Twisties, do you think that maybe you might have been better off WITHOUT Facebook? I could write for 15 minutes belittling users and the whole concept of Facebook, but I would then feel the heavy wrath of those who believe that the masses actually are interested in what time their reservations are at La Posh Bistro and what they are going to order.
Yes, I know I'm just too old. I'm so old that I still make phone calls to people.
Okay, I can take it....
I resemble your remarks!!
My grandkids now tell me FB is for "old people", the kids all use Snapchat or some other social media.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #23
spade117

I get what you are saying John. Being much younger than most here, I have had a cell phone (with the same #) for more than half my life. When the phones became "smart", I held out for a few years. I decided that based on the cost of these things nowadays, it would get used and replace other devices. The phone has taken the place of many other devices. My phone is currently used as all of the following:

Camera
Alarm clock
GPS
Phone
Pager
Computer
Radio
Television
Book
Calendar
Calculator

When I am camping, or "getting away", the phone is only typically used as a camera and for music.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:53 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

I guess it"s a lot to do with experiences. Not a fan of FB myself. During my last 25-30 years of working I was responsible for signing/overseeing a lot of contracts for equipment and services that often exceeded 6 figures and many over 7.
I had way too many contractors and vendors wanting to become a "Face Book Friend". I had to put up with so many people wanting a "piece of the action" while at work I certainly didn't need to hear from them on my time.

I spent years with a blue tooth stuck in my ear taking calls that I don't want earbuds in them now.The S&B house has 3 large screen TV's with full 7.1 surround systems. In the rec room I've got a good audio system with a phonograph, nothing like the sound of vinyl. So if it's music I have the equipment that even the high end headphones can't replace.

We like camping in Amish country in PA a lot. The sounds I enjoy are the babbling creeks, fish breaking the water, honking geese overhead and clip clop of horses going down the road.

That's my choices. If your choice is listening to Coldplay or Metallica, or Garth Brooks in your earbuds while face timing, tweeting, or on Face Book then more power to you.

Choice, it's just on of the freedoms so many "take for granted" in this great country.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #25
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

In the 90's I started on Car and Truck forums. Great places to share ideas etc then even took over as a Admin when the fake crap began to sprout up. I was actually removed as a Admin 4-5 years later because I went against the sponsors and the crap they were pushing.
Simple one I'll go over quick was Grantelli because they had miracle coils, wires and so on a so fourth that could add goobs of H.P.. I asked if my coil is new and were not logging any misfires, same with your crap wires and snake oils you sell, how does that work to add H.P. Keep that going when I saw the **** and then finding out the owners were more interested in the sponsors money then facts well.
So I start a local car club, everyone is on FB, no ones really using the site I set up,so we switch to faceless book. Hell I can keep up with friends I havent seen in years etc. I thought. Well I had had enough of what everyones TV habits area, how many times they picked their asses, what they had for dinner with a picture, DRAMA, DRAMA, DRAMA so my last post was what I had for dinner. A picture of my cowboy cut Ribeye that was aged for 60 days, garlic potatoes, salad, rolls along with a piece of triple chocolate layer cake post digested.
Oh that's gross, your and__________ yada yada yada! Well that how much I really care for your drama, sh*t filled, back stabbing, pile of lies posts.
Now I just come on here and a few other places because I do miss some aspects, but the crap doesnt fly here. If and when it may, well that's enough.
Recently I got a new phones because the wife and kids wanted a unlimited plan so the old flip phone went away. It was going to cost me more to keep that one then the new stupid phone I got. Works good for being a phone, do I use it for anything else. NOPE, you want me CALL ME!
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #26
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
<clip> When I was first "on call" I had to stay home and "wait for the call". Then along came pagers that beeped and I had to call "the service" for a message, then pagers evolved to "voice pagers" that would deliver a short (up to 5 second) message. Next came "digital pagers" followed by cell phones <clip>
When I was an engineering (before I became a teacher) it seemed every time I went to WalMart my pager would go off. We still laugh about it these days when we visit WalMart.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:58 PM   #27
notanlines

Marshall, "honking geese overhead," we all hope they are headed back to Canada. Darned things around here won't leave. States are starting to boost the daily limit to close to the same as snow geese.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #28
66joej

Quote:
Marshall, "honking geese overhead," we all hope they are headed back to Canada. Darned things around here won't leave. States are starting to boost the daily limit to close to the same as snow geese.
Jim I don't think the geese head back over the border until they see a procession of RVs doing it first.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Years ago I had an office in Columbia, MD It was the first "Planned Community" in the nation and was developed by the Rouse Company. I don't want to get into the politics but we called it "The People's Republic of Columbia".

Anyway there was a lake close to my office where the geese wouldn't leave because, of course, the idiots would feed them. I would eat lunch in a restaurant overlooking the lake and watch the dog handler that they hired to "chase" them away. That poor dog would exhaust himself making them fly from one side to the other. I think they paid this guy six figures for about 3 months worth of work. I thought heck, buy the 12 gauge bird shot and I'll solve that issue in a day!
Old 01-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
When I was an engineering (before I became a teacher) it seemed every time I went to WalMart my pager would go off. We still laugh about it these days when we visit WalMart.
Used to drive me crazy pre cell phone days when I'd get a page, pull over to a pay phone (you young'uns can Google pay phone), call the number at it would be busy. Then my staff thought it was "Funny" to send me a page with a 900 number (again you youngsters Google it).
Old 02-02-2020, 04:55 PM   #31
gearhead

Super Bowl is on mute, I ain't paying attention anyway.
Back in the pager days most of us would put them on mute, vibrate only.
Seems when we would run out of BS stories we always defaulted to snake stories. I was telling a coworker about me and another coworker taking his very lifted F250 down the beach to Brown Cedar Cut. The idea was to wade fish Matagorda Bay. So we tented overnight on the beach and got a early start in the morning. We must have been 300 yards out in the bay, about waist deep. I saw what I first thought was just a stick in the water. No, the more I looked I thought it was a snake. It's not uncommon to see a rattlesnake in the bay. "Hey Adair, watch that stick over there and see if you think it's moving". Naa quit looking for snakes. No man it's moving. Actually we're on a collision course. Yeah you may be right. So the snake gets close enough for Adair to slap at it with his fishing rod. It goes underwater. I start backing up and bump into my floating bait bucket. I holler and Adair hollers. At the same time I'm telling this to the coworker his pager that is clipped to the "V" neck of his shirt goes off, on vibrate. He hollered louder than me and Adair put together and almost fell out of his chair. I'm laughing my rear off. Man we're in the lunchroom, ain't no snake getting you. I know it, but I'm terrified of snakes. I thought you grew up in Anahuac, there's almost as many snakes as there is alligators. Yeah that's why I'm so scared off them.
......Default snake pager story.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #32
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
That explains it. Their language algorithms picked up on "hookup" and "cost" and incorrectly flagged it as solicitation, then after appeal and review the humans realized you were talking about campgrounds. That explains a lot. Cause your initial post had me scratching my head. Ha.
If anything, Facebook is a continuing valuable example of the sort of treatment you should always expect from a government centrally planned by a "superior elite" group.

Top. Men.

Really.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #33
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
My phone is currently used as all of the following:
And on that note...
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #34
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Used to drive me crazy pre cell phone days when I'd get a page, pull over to a pay phone (you young'uns can Google pay phone), call the number at it would be busy. Then my staff thought it was "Funny" to send me a page with a 900 number (again you youngsters Google it).
I didn't realize there are no more 900 numbers. I was wary at first of 888 and other variants of the 800 toll-free series; I thought they were 900 spoofs. There's so much spoofing going on these days I don't answer the phone unless I know the number.

If memory fails me correctly, pay phones in Louisiana were a nickel up until sometime in the 80s. I think they went up first to a dime, then a quarter. I don't recall if there were rate hikes after that.

I'm reminded of a co-worker who mowed his lawn with his pager clipped to his belt. Unfortunately it came off and met its demise with the mower blades as he passed over it - it made quite a crunching sound. He found many of the pieces and put them in a plastic bag and hooked it back to his belt; when he showed up at work the following day management was not amused, but all us worker bees were.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:28 AM   #35
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If anything, Facebook is a continuing valuable example of the sort of treatment you should always expect from a government centrally planned by a "superior elite" group.

Top. Men.

Really.
Yeah, you're right. Lets give up to the "ladies",who showed their best last night at halftime. But don't look at them as "sex objects". Who produced that trash? Harvey Weinstein?
No wonder high school girls are going to the prom looking like street walkers.
You want to be in charge, put some clothes on. Oh wait we have tried this in congress,and the result? Well ask Nancy.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #36
gearhead

X2 on that^
Old 02-03-2020, 04:48 AM   #37
notanlines

I'll work at staying away from the political end, but DW and I were at an exhibition basketball game some months ago and I can tell you the cheerleader routines (all over 18 I better add) were all in the PG-13 range, if not rated R by some standards. Wow, how things have changed...I have to admit, it certainly kept one's attention!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 02-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #38
notanlines

Some truth to this tidbit of humor maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JniDv1580140531.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	25041  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 02-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #39
gearhead

Quote:
I'll work at staying away from the political end, but DW and I were at an exhibition basketball game some months ago and I can tell you the cheerleader routines (all over 18 I better add) were all in the PG-13 range, if not rated R by some standards. Wow, how things have changed...I have to admit, it certainly kept one's attention!
Our daughter was in the drill/dance team in 9, 10, and 11 grade. They got a new faculty sponsor in the 12th who apparently believed "anything goes". It was downright vulgar. Our daughter and 2 more quit early in the year.
That was 15 years ago. Can't imagine what it will be like in 15 more years.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:26 AM   #40
Walnuts

Quote:
Twisties, do you think that maybe you might have been better off WITHOUT Facebook? I could write for 15 minutes belittling users and the whole concept of Facebook, but I would then feel the heavy wrath of those who believe that the masses actually are interested in what time their reservations are at La Posh Bistro and what they are going to order.
Yes, I know I'm just too old. I'm so old that I still make phone calls to people.
Okay, I can take it....
I'm with you, haven't been on facebook for >12 years.
Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote