Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 03:59 AM   #21
On the Job

He asked. I answered. I agree.
On the Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:28 AM   #22
CrazyCain

This is what we use in our trailer (177LHS), last weekend it was 6 as a low and both the little heaters kept us nice and toastie..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heater.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	25142  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

We've got a Dura Flame quartz heater, complete with remote control <yippee> that we sit on the range cover at night. That's an "old habit" from when we travelled with a dog who liked to "lay close to warmth"... Now that we don't travel with a dog, we may start leaving the heater on the floor in the main cabin. I even installed an additional 20 amp circuit in that area, complete with its own campground pedestal plug, just for the heater. No more "tripped circuit breakers" from running the water heater, microwave and the heater.... (another <yippee>)

Using the electric heater is much less noise, "cheaper" to use campground electricity than "owner supplied" propane. We "sleep like a baby" in the comfortable warmth of our Dura Flame quartz box.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #24
Ken / Claudia

I do not get a danger of an oil filled radiator heater. Only down side in a RV is the power, run the genny or be on shore power. I could not read any of the must be fires from heaters.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #25
ssthrd

I suggest you try Pacific Energy Fireplace in Duncan. They may know something about a "Wood Doctor" outdoor system which uses a wood fired system to heat water and pump inside to use as radiant heat. Don't know much about it, but they may be able to make some suggestions.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #26
ssthrd

Oops! Shoulda read the date before typing. Lol

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #27
Cookie

Furnace or

Full time in 40 ft Montana, the propane furnace seams to use a lot of propane, was thinking of a propane space heater would use less but can't seam to find any answers on the propane space heaterjust answers on if it's a electric space heater.would like to save money on the propane bill.
Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Full time in 40 ft Montana, the propane furnace seams to use a lot of propane, was thinking of a propane space heater would use less but can't seam to find any answers on the propane space heaterjust answers on if it's a electric space heater.would like to save money on the propane bill.
Not quite sure how replacing a propane heater with a propane heater makes much sense. I also WOULD NOT use a propane heater indoors without the exhaust being vented outside, good recipe for death.
With either the furnace, which also keeps the water lines warmed underneath, or an electric space, which will not do anything for the water lines, your still going to pay for either electricity or propane.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #29
snoobler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
As was mentioned earlier in the thread, if below freezing, you must run the RV furnace to heat the belly.

As was also mentioned earlier in the thread, a propane space heater is consuming the oxygen inside the trailer and converting it to carbon dioxide. Given the relatively small volume of the trailer, it's a big risk.

At 6500' elevation and temps well below freezing overnight, we keep our furnace on 50°F and use an electric blanket with a comforter over it to reduce power consumption. It keeps us crazy warm in bed, and the furnace runs enough to heat the belly. Propane use is still high.

RV insulation is pretty bad (no matter how great they make it sound), so you're going to consume a lot of propane. A rented bulk tank with deliveries was recommended early on, and it will likely cost you less than you're spending now.
snoobler is offline   Reply With Quote