Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
skids

Clearance over railroad tracks

When you are towing and see one of those at railroad crossings warning of low clearance, what do you do? Do you just eyeball it or is there some sort of way to judge it as safe?
Old 03-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
When you are towing and see one of those at railroad crossings warning of low clearance, what do you do? Do you just eyeball it or is there some sort of way to judge it as safe?
My RV gps routs me around those. I've seen those a lot down on the lower eastern shore in the DELMARVA (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia peninsula). If they have that warning sign I would steer clear. Can't imagine anything worse than having a trailer stuck on the tracks.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
travelin texans

Not sure of the wording, but believe you're referring to low overhead clearances?
Not sure what RV you have, most TTs shouldn't be a problem, some 5th wheels could be.
First of all most states are required to post the heights of any structure overhead with less than 13'6" clearances, if not posted it's more than that.
Secondly, you need to measure YOUR rvs actual height at the highest object on the roof, DO NOT assume brochure numbers are correct.
Third, if following trucks & they fit you should have no problems fitting either.
If you want to plan ahead go to your local truck stop & pick up a Motor Carriers Atlas, in the front is a section of low clearances listed by state. Also the roads are highlighted for truck traffic, if the trucks can travel it so can you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Danny he's taking about at grade railroad crossings where the rail bed is substantially higher than the road on either side of the tracks. This happens in areas where railbeds are prone to "wash outs" from low lying land masses flooding during heavy rains. Think of it like driving over a very large, very steep speed bump.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:47 AM   #5
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Danny he's taking about at grade railroad crossings where the rail bed is substantially higher than the road on either side of the tracks. This happens in areas where railbeds are prone to "wash outs" from low lying land masses flooding during heavy rains. Think of it like driving over a very large, very steep speed bump.
Thanks. Yes I was talking about possibly scraping bottom or getting hung-up.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Thanks. Yes I was talking about possibly scraping bottom or getting hung-up.
I hate to even suggest this as it could be taken out of context and misunderstood as an endorsement but here goes. No I don't think you should "try it" and here's why.

Most folks do not have the "experience" or "knowledge" to know how often a set of railroad track are used by the railroad. Could be leading up to a cannery that's only used during harvest time or it could be used multiple times a day, or even an hour. How "rusty" the tracks look isn't a good indicator and while it may look as if the tracks are overgrown is it worth the risk?

Even if you have a "spotter" are they knowledgeable enough to keep an eye out for trains from both directions while looking under the trailer and in front and behind to make sure your not going to drag off a jack, bumber, LP line, drain line, water drains, etc. There's a lot that can be damaged.

And finally, do you think you're judgement is better than all the "front men" and highly trained people that did this?
Old 03-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #7
Larrylane

As a retired railroader I would recommend being careful passing under a railroad overpass if the clearance is already tight as marked and you see new asphalt on the road. Sometimes the state or county doesn't always remark the clearance in a timely matter.

As far as going over a high railroad crossing you need to be sure the incline going over and the decline on the other side is not to aggressive to catch in the middle or at the back of you RV. If in doubt take another route which is usually marked as a truck route.

If you do happen to get caught on the tracks call 911 immediately and if it is a signaled crossing call 911 and the toll-free number on the signal case that operates the signal system. If you make it over and just catch or scrape the tracks call 911 immediately or the toll-free number on the signal case as this could cause a dangerous incident which could kill many people if the pending train is carrying hazardous chemicals and it derails. You would be surprised how many times this happens, luckily without incident, around our country.

Remember to never stop on or across the tracks when coming to a stop sign or signal where the distance is not long enough for your entire rig. Most all roads have advanced warning signs so pay attention for these while driving.
Larrylane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack