Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2020, 07:10 AM   #1
stogies4life

Black water hose drips

Wife and I just got back from a shakedown trip with our new rv and I was reminded of something of a issue that I need to know what to do.

When I am done emptying both tank, I take the hose loose and I invariably get a few drops of the waste water come out. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? How can I "clean" this, bleach? I rinsed the area with water.

tia,

s4l
stogies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Where are the "few Drips" coming from? The pipe or the hose? I wouldn't be donning a hazmat suite for a few drops.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Pull Toy

Welcome to the forum from Connecticut.

If you dump your Black tank first, and then your Grey, you will accomplish two things. First you will have rinsed your sewer hoses with relatively harmless sink / shower water. Secondly your coupler will also have been flushed with Grey water.

We always keep both valves closed until ready to dump. That way you avoid the dreaded POO PILE in your black tank, and have more water to force out the solids. Then your Grey tank also has enough water to push out any crud that found its way into your sink drain.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
Logan X

I think a few drops would be considered normal. As Steve mentioned above, dump black first and then grey. The grey water cleans everything out. I don’t do any additional cleaning to my sewer hose.

If you want to stop the drips, you can add another gate valve on the end of the sewer outlet. Here is a link

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

When you say drips, do you mean drips (normal) or a trickle (not normal) when the gate valve is closed.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Pick up a wet dish, a toothbrush, a wet hand and it "drips a few drops"...

Anything that's wet will "drip". The bigger the object, the more "drips"...

In an RV tank system, there's usually at least a foot of waste pipe through which the tank contents empty. In some trailers, that might be as long as 8 or 10 feet of pipe. Longer pipes "drip more" than short pipes....

I installed a "terminal valve" on the end of my sewer system. That valve, provides for only 1" of "drip producing pipe" on the outside of the valve, when it's closed, not only eliminates almost "all the drips" it also serves as a "second salvation" in the event one of the "at the tank valves" might happen to leak, vibrate open or fail to close from a malfunction"... Once you've removed one sewer cap and received a shower of poo, you'll understand why that terminal valve is not a gimmick, but a necessary addition to any RV sewer system.....

The same goes for a sewer cap with a 3/4" hose fitting. You'll never "need it" until you "need it and don't have it".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #7
stogies4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Where are the "few Drips" coming from? The pipe or the hose? I wouldn't be donning a hazmat suite for a few drops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
When you say drips, do you mean drips (normal) or a trickle (not normal) when the gate valve is closed.

Sorry I didn't give a better description but this is what I was concerned with, drips from the hose after disconnecting from the tank outlet. I figured I can use a small spray bottle of bleach water.

This is our 2nd TT in 6 months, first was nice but a little small in a cpl of areas. Went to the RV show here (StL) few weeks ago and saw one and knew it was the one for us. We had a Bullet Colt and now we have a Crossfire.

Thanks again, I just wasn't sure if it was normal.
stogies4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

From you're description totally normal. If you drain the black, then the gray then those few drops are going to be dishwater or shower water most likely. That's not a biohazard.

I use disposable gloves when I empty the tanks. Place soap dispenser at the water spigot. Have a dedicated non drinking water hose to use for the black tank rinser. After dumping, I rinse out the dump hose with that water hose. Put the hoses away, throw away the gloves by turning them inside out while peeling them off into a plastic bag. Wash hands with soap and water and put the soap away. I feel all hoses/fittings for waste OUTSIDE the camper in hose carrier. The gloves hand soap, and hand sanitizer (for dump stations) I keep together in a plastic container.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water