Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #1
Ken / Claudia

Towing in heavy winds

I read on here about some having problems towing in windy conditions and some just not willing to do it. 2 days ago, we where coming back to PDX on I-84 from ID. Early morning I was just out of Ladd Canyon and on the flats til a nearby rest stop. Driving was relaxed 1 handed at 70 on CC. We stopped and when I opened the driver door, it was almost ripped from my hand. I almost lost my hat. I helped my wife out by holding her door. The RV door got away from me and slammed against the side. We had no clue about the wind, if I think it's windy I watch trees etc on the roadside. I never thought for a second it was that bad and I did not notice it pulling the RV.
When we continued I did notice it pushing the truck/trailer a little but really not anything to worry about. It was hitting as a side wind. Maybe it got worst I don't know.
I only guess that having a long wheelbase truck, a heavy truck and only a 7500 lb RV all helped. Makes me wonder why some have such a bad time.
Not saying everyone needs a 1 ton but I think it helps. My hitch is a WDH with a siding anti sway bar from Pro Series. I remember having trouble pulling 14 and 19 ft RVs with a SUV and 1/2 ton short wheelbase truck and did not like it both had a sliding anti sway bar, but no WDH.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think of it along the lines of "flying a kite" the examples might help some understand better:

If you're flying a 10' kite, weigh 190 pounds and the wind is "brisk" nearly pulling the kite string from your hands, but you're managing to stay in one place and enjoy the "kite dancing in the sky".... now, hand that kite string to your 25 pound, 2 year old...… If you don't watch carefully, your child will wind up "flying across the field"....

Same applies to the "sailboat sail side on an RV"... Behind an adequate tow vehicle, it stays "solid and firmly planted in the lane".... Put that same "sailboat sail" behind a "lightweight/improperly matched tow vehicle" and like that "baby on the kite string" it'll wind up "all over the lawn".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #3
Huntme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I read on here about some having problems towing in windy conditions and some just not willing to do it. 2 days ago, we where coming back to PDX on I-84 from ID. Early morning I was just out of Ladd Canyon and on the flats til a nearby rest stop. Driving was relaxed 1 handed at 70 on CC. We stopped and when I opened the driver door, it was almost ripped from my hand. I almost lost my hat. I helped my wife out by holding her door. The RV door got away from me and slammed against the side. We had no clue about the wind, if I think it's windy I watch trees etc on the roadside. I never thought for a second it was that bad and I did not notice it pulling the RV.
When we continued I did notice it pushing the truck/trailer a little but really not anything to worry about. It was hitting as a side wind. Maybe it got worst I don't know.
I only guess that having a long wheelbase truck, a heavy truck and only a 7500 lb RV all helped. Makes me wonder why some have such a bad time.
Not saying everyone needs a 1 ton but I think it helps. My hitch is a WDH with a siding anti sway bar from Pro Series. I remember having trouble pulling 14 and 19 ft RVs with a SUV and 1/2 ton short wheelbase truck and did not like it both had a sliding anti sway bar, but no WDH.
the Columbia River Gourge,in most cases,is Allways Windy,me and the Boss,my DW,Hunt in the White River Uniit,we travel up the Wind Hiway as I call it,towing my 24 foot TT,that wind is nasty,you are right,the WHD is a must,at least for me.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Be glad it wasn't black ice like this guy on Cabbage Hill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabbage Hiil.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	25465  
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Huntme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Be glad it wasn't black ice like this guy on Cabbage Hill.
Now there is a Mess.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
Ken / Claudia

The Columbia River gorge can get down right dangerous. I had to drive it on patrol when it was closed from PDX to Hood River or mainly Cascade Locks more then a few times. Once I stopped on a flat pavement shoulder near Rooster Rock park, the truck had chains on all four tires. I walked around the front and watched the truck slide about a foot sideways.
I was on river patrol year round and sometimes the river would send waves over the cabin. Interesting to be looking out the windshield, My rear was about 4 feet above the river and all you see is a wall of water higher then the boat maybe 8 ft tall. One wave took the radar cover off and damaged the unit.

There is a reason I only travel Cabbage hill in daylight during the winter months if towing. Last week that was all clear, snow still on roadsides and ground beyond the hill.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:18 PM   #7
Huntme

Quote:
The Columbia River gorge can get down right dangerous. I had to drive it on patrol when it was closed from PDX to Hood River or mainly Cascade Locks more then a few times. Once I stopped on a flat pavement shoulder near Rooster Rock park, the truck had chains on all four tires. I walked around the front and watched the truck slide about a foot sideways.
I was on river patrol year round and sometimes the river would send waves over the cabin. Interesting to be looking out the windshield, My rear was about 4 feet above the river and all you see is a wall of water higher then the boat maybe 8 ft tall. One wave took the radar cover off and damaged the unit.

There is a reason I only travel Cabbage hill in daylight during the winter months if towing. Last week that was all clear, snow still on roadsides and ground beyond the hill.
my wifes parents live on the Dales,so I travel that way a lot,cabbage is just nasty,I have had the opportunity to travel down Cabbage in December,nothing I would want to do with a trailer.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
LHaven

Our one and only experience with bad wind was a blast in Wyoming that translated us into the next lane before we were even aware of it. The force of the wind expanding after hitting the side of our trailer got up under the awning roll and ripped it right off the body.

Good times.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
Jim2366

High winds are a good time to stay put and wait a day to travel. I drove a day after high wind on Hwy 44 from St. Louis to Springfield, Missouri and counted 8 semi-trucks on their side that blew over.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I think "high" winds are relative to what a person is used to. We winter in FL and there is no "wind" to us. They think they are having a bad day if they have 15mph sustained. What they do have that I, and my awning, don't like are "whipping" winds that come from nowhere and hit stuff.. Out here in W TX 15mph is a slight breeze. I used to work outside many years ago and the only time I wasn't supposed to put up a 32' extension ladder was if the wind was "too stout and I felt I might get hurt" - that was usually about 40mph or so. Driving in it is a way of life and takes getting used to and adjustment along with dealing with sand across the road where you can't see the end of our hood. I've delayed a departure due to possible thunderstorms/hail/hurricane etc. but never for wind. I do think it is prudent to do so and probably will in the future because I too have seen many semis etc. overturned on the highway as I whizzed by. Probably not the smartest thing to do at this time of our lives.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #11
busterbrown

Last spring while RVing around the Southwest, we experienced (for the first time) the infamous NM and W. Texas winds that so many people talk about.

It is something to witness first hand; that is, the winds swirling in a way that it's like "the highway is parting the dust bowl sea". The DW and I appreciated every extra lb in our HD RAM Megacab, its 160 inch wheelbase, and the formidable Hensley.

Unfortunately, the truck's tonneau cover didn't fare well and was ripped off from its hardware. Unbelievable, the tenacity of those winds.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Makes me think of our big trip in ‘09. We were headed west on I-80 in Wyoming. OTR trucks: tractor on right line of slow lane, first trailer centered in slow lane, second trailer in the fast lane.
Us: rear tires on the right line of the slow lane, trailer tires in the fast lane. We all “crabbed” down the highway for about 100 miles. I don’t want to repeat that one but I was happy I had 4 tires on the road in the rear of the truck.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #13
sonofcy

Quote:
I also barely notice the wind pulling my 16,000 lb 5er with my 14,000 lb diesel dually F450 1 ton plus. Just one of the reasons I bought the 450, bigger brakes, and tighter turning radius being the others as well as a tougher truck than a F350.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
rodgebone

I got "initiated" only 30 minutes after picking up my (first) new trailer from the dealer & heading straight up the Columbia River gorge. was a good learning experience because over the next 2 months and 7000 miles thru 11 states I hit windy conditions several times in eastern OR, SD, WY & AZ. but the worst was coming from Red Bluff into Redding early Oct 2019 when they shut all the power down in N CA due to high winds/fire concerns. even the truckers were pulling off I5. aside from watching the trees, ALWAYS do what the truckers are doing and keep an eye on their trailers. was so glad to get outta there.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:11 AM   #15
buzzcop63

Try riding the Columbia River Gorge in 40 to 50 mph winds on a Motorcycle doing 70, Suzuki GS1000E! Talk about an amusement park ride! My 1/2 ton tows without any problem but I would pull over and wait out the wind, head or tail wind OK but no side wind, unlike Ken my truck does not weight enough to handle the Gorge in side winds!
Old 03-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #16
Badbart56

What I deal with in the winter. When it gets like this, we shut down. Sometimes you get caught though.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #17
Huntme

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
Try riding the Columbia River Gorge in 40 to 50 mph winds on a Motorcycle doing 70, Suzuki GS1000E! Talk about an amusement park ride! My 1/2 ton tows without any problem but I would pull over and wait out the wind, head or tail wind OK but no side wind, unlike Ken my truck does not weight enough to handle the Gorge in side winds!
my GoldWing does not like the wind,I have done that ride so many times,I have a friend who used to live in Pendleton,that run is a rough one,in 40 plus miles per hour wind.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #18
CWtheMan

Some places just close the roads. If you get up in the morning and find the winds have gone up over night and you're traveling I-5 and heading over the "Grape Vine" you should call the CHP. They regularly close the Grape Vine to truckers & RVers during high winds. We found out the hard way one year while heading south. The CHP rerouted us all the way out to I-15 for our trip to San Diego.

I've heard they will do it at the Donner Pass up on I-80 where you just have to wait it out.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #19
gearhead

I have only 1 comment...what's a PDX??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:34 PM   #20
LHaven

PDX = Portland (International Airport).

Tags
tow, towing