Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #1
js0l0

New 239ML

Hi Everyone!

Just picked up a 2020 (2nd half) Passport 239ML with the back door and walk-able roof. We had the dealer add a MaxxAir deluxe fan to the bathroom (removed the small fan). In the process of getting this all setup the way we want it. Its our first TT, and it seems to have the best layout for our family. Looking forward to the advice from the members of this forum!

There are a few things that I am trying to figure out.

1 - Has anyone added solid steps to this model? I am not sure if it is possible since the door does not open 180 degrees, and has the door extension stop in the floor.

2 - Best way to store the sewer hose. The port they put in the rear (since there is no bumper) is WAY too small. I have seen some suggestions about a 4" vinyl fence post, but I wasn't sure if there are other ideas.

3 - is there a way to add a roof ladder? Since this has a walk-able roof, there should be an easy way to get up there!

I am sure we will have other questions down the road, but I appreciate everyone's advice in the meantime!
js0l0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
Logan X

Welcome to the forum!

I don’t have a sewer hose holder on my trailer. I keep mine in a clear sealed Tupperware bin, with all my sewer stuff, in the front pass through.

If I were to install a sewer hose holder, it would be this one

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-Adju.../dp/B01NA0K9YR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7F36B93-CA9A-4A43-B54F-AA811BBB0FB2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	27219  
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I use the same tube as LoganX cited. If you go the PVC post wrap you want to go 5" not 4".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Gary R.

Hello and welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new Passport!

As to your roof access question, the way I understand it, is that if the roof is indeed one that you can walk on, the manufacturer would have attached a ladder. Our Alpine has one, although it is marginally adequate.

Take care,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
Logan X

As far as the roof goes, I was under the same impression as Gary. Only trailers equipped with ladders have walkable roofs. Here is a link to the manual, page 87.

https://keystonerv.avalamarketing.co...anual-2019.pdf

Maybe your unit is different? Where did you hear your roof was walkable?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66447D7E-E814-4502-8193-6CDB7A3126D7.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	27222  
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:42 AM   #6
js0l0

Thanks for the replies regarding the sewer hoses.

As far as the roof being walk able, both my dealer and other dealers have shown this as a new feature.

https://www.haylettautoandrv.com/inv...ldwater-S1479/ Is one that lists it as a feature (but I didn’t buy from them).

Should I contact keystone direct to verify this?
Old 05-11-2020, 03:26 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

I would defer to Keystone on whether the roof is walkable. Mine has footprints from the dealer tech that installed the MaxxAir II vent covers, but I wouldn’t call it walkable. The sewer hose storage is okay for a standard light-duty hose, and I have used one and stored there for two seasons without issue. However, I also have a RhinoFlex hose as a back-up just in case. When the time comes, I will cross mount it under the frame in the rear in front of the stabilizer jacks.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:39 AM   #8
js0l0

Thanks - I emailed keystone to see what they say.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:59 AM   #9
Tdesrosiers

Hi,

We just purchased a 2020 239 ML as well. We were told by the salesman that the roof was walkable, but when we did the overview at delivery, the tech indicated it is NOT walkable, and if you go on it, you need to stay on the rafters, which are visible just under the surface of the roof membrane. I'm waiting for customer service to open, and plan on calling them.

Mind if I ask you a question? I posted on another forum about the murphy bed not being level. The pivot point is about 1.5-2 inches too high, such that your head is lower than your feet if laying with your head towards the front of the camper. Took off the mattress in order to notice this, and there is a definitive height difference between the pivot point and the fixed frame where your upper body/head would be. Not to hijack your thread, but just wondering if you noticed this.
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:43 AM   #10
js0l0

I will need to look at the pivot for ours. We haven't tried out the mattress yet, so once I get back to the TT I will take a look at this.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
msubobcats

Congrats and welcome to the forum from Northern Idaho. ENJOY
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

You can put something on the roof to distribute the weight; this has been hashed a bunch of times on this forum. Plywood or some sort of panel works. Get a telescoping ladder; 12' seems about right. The ladders they put on the back are not that handy unless you are young, skinny and spry; I ain't.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/330lbs-Te...CABEgIX3fD_BwE
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You can put something on the roof to distribute the weight; this has been hashed a bunch of times on this forum. Plywood or some sort of panel works. Get a telescoping ladder; 12' seems about right. The ladders they put on the back are not that handy unless you are young, skinny and spry; I ain't.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/330lbs-Te...CABEgIX3fD_BwE

George is on point with the ladder observation. Although my trailers have had ladders I use a step ladder beside them if I have to use the factory one to get on the rood (done it a couple of times) but use the telescoping as George referred to. I'm in the same boat; the young, skinny and spry parts have been lost somewhere along the way...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 06:42 PM   #14
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by js0l0 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Just picked up a 2020 (2nd half) Passport 239ML with the back door and walk-able roof. We had the dealer add a MaxxAir deluxe fan to the bathroom (removed the small fan). In the process of getting this all setup the way we want it. Its our first TT, and it seems to have the best layout for our family. Looking forward to the advice from the members of this forum!

There are a few things that I am trying to figure out.

1 - Has anyone added solid steps to this model? I am not sure if it is possible since the door does not open 180 degrees, and has the door extension stop in the floor.

2 - Best way to store the sewer hose. The port they put in the rear (since there is no bumper) is WAY too small. I have seen some suggestions about a 4" vinyl fence post, but I wasn't sure if there are other ideas.

3 - is there a way to add a roof ladder? Since this has a walk-able roof, there should be an easy way to get up there!

I am sure we will have other questions down the road, but I appreciate everyone's advice in the meantime!
We have a 2020 Passport (same as yours). As far as the steps go, I made custom steel brackets (4 total) that I mounted to the OEM step brackets and I was able to mount the 3 step solid step version that easily attaches to the outside skirt (not the fold up and in type). Leaving the folding ones in place for use at rest stops and such. PM me with an email address and I can send you the specifics with photos and such. You'll need to buy the steel plates, cut them, bend them and drill some mounting holes. Other than that, no, the other solid steps won't work because our door doesn't open flat against the wall.
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #15
js0l0

Thanks for the info on those steps! I think I am going to replace ours with the Torklift scissor steps https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...SABEgLz7_D_BwE

Also - as for the roof - I had a telescoping ladder which I used, and it worked perfectly. Thanks all for the advice on that! While they state the roof isnt walk-able, I stayed on the rafters and had no problems (~195 lbs).
Old 05-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #16
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by js0l0 View Post
Thanks for the info on those steps! I think I am going to replace ours with the Torklift scissor steps https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...SABEgLz7_D_BwE

Also - as for the roof - I had a telescoping ladder which I used, and it worked perfectly. Thanks all for the advice on that! While they state the roof isnt walk-able, I stayed on the rafters and had no problems (~195 lbs).
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...1&d=1589857322

Click on the picture it'll open correctly. Note, OEM steps still in place. Total cost $300. They fit perfectly in the cargo area and click into place easily. One of the best modifications I made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	27425  
Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 AM   #17
PDMarlowe

Bill-2020, I love what you did with the steps, and I am sorry for hijacking as well, but could you post close-up of the brackets. My wife would really appreciate me doing this on our trailer. She's never been happy with the flexing of the standard steps, especially when carrying food down for the picnic.....
PDMarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:38 PM   #18
Bill-2020

Marlowe- I sure can. It’ll be a few days though. We’re headed out at the break of dawn for a long weekend with the camper in tow. I’ll have a chance then to get the pictures you’ll want once we settle in tomorrow afternoon and I crack open a cold adult beverage.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:14 AM   #19
ranch.manager

Unfortunately the dealer sold you a line of crap. The roof is not walkable. I have a 2014 and the salesman told me mine was walkable. There is no way to install a ladder as there are no structural supports to mount it to. Maintenance of the roof will be done one half at a time with a very tall ladder.
ranch.manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:31 AM   #20
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranch.manager View Post
Unfortunately the dealer sold you a line of crap. The roof is not walkable. I have a 2014 and the salesman told me mine was walkable. There is no way to install a ladder as there are no structural supports to mount it to. Maintenance of the roof will be done one half at a time with a very tall ladder.
The 2020 models have a stronger roof (redesign with the new rear door) 3/8 plywood. Not exactly something that I’d make a habit of being on, but I have been up there to add vent covers, sweep and hose off and inspect seams. I’m 6’ and 230 lbs. No issues.