Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Cold Spot

Cost of all the "extras"

Good day guys and gals!

Not sure if this is a "perspective" owners question as I've technically agreed to the sale of the unit but I'm curious about others experience with dealerships trying to gouge you for "Extras".

I've purchased plenty of cars and trucks in my life and know the run around for adding and subtracting accessories, or even extended warranties. However there are a few things you NEED to operate your new RV like - Batteries? But this sale didn't come with batteries I'm told so that's $530 CAD extra for 2 6v. Then they suggest a "Sway Pro" hitch for $861 CAD.... when Im fairly certain I can acquire a nice weigh distribution hitch for $250.

Am i just being overly sensitive to these prices? I would have expected my trailer to be mostly usable for the sticker price - thank goodness I have a trailer brake controller on my truck... cant imagine what that install would have cost me lol.
Cold Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Cold Spot

Just for reference I attached the "proposed" bill. All in Canadian dollars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.png
Views:	318
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	24040  
Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #3
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Spot View Post
Just for reference I attached the "proposed" bill. All in Canadian dollars.
Just as a perspective, a CG2 golf cart style 6 volt battery can be purchased at a local Sams Club for aroundn $90. That's $180 USD for two plus the cost of the battery boxes ($15 for 2).

As far as WDHs and sway control, $250 in the states will get you a Harbor Freight or Eaz Lift traditional unit with mediocre friction bar sway control. If the Sway Pro brand that's listed is a Blue Ox, they tend to run between $500-$600 USD. There is significant disparity of performance between brands. At $861 CAD, the dealer is making a little profit off the hitch.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Cold Spot

Thank you very much for your reply! The batteries certainly did seem overpriced so when I walk back in I'll have a discussion about that.
The hitch I was referencing is actually $299 now that I checked and its a Husky Round Bar Weight distribution hitch. This TT is only 4500lbs when fully loaded so I dont need anything too advanced. Proper trailer loading and a good brake controller go a long way. My parents and grandparents never had no fancy sway hitches
Old 10-13-2019, 08:50 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Do your homework to find the costs. I'll give you an example that happened to me yesterday.
Our divorced daughter raising 2 little ones is struggling to make end meet. April of this year I bought her 4 new tires at NTB and had them replace front brake pads. She told me the brakes were already shot so she was returning to get the warranty repair. I meet her there to "oversee" the honesty of the establishment.
They diagnosed a stuck caliper on the driver's side which wiped out the brakes and rotor. Now she's trying to keep her 11 yr old mini van limping along until she can replace it, hopefully in the 6 months.
So they work up an estimate for remanufactured caliper, new rotor, and brake hose. Cost? $593! I looked and and told them that charging over $450 for parts! I said I could go 1 block down the street to NAPA and get the parts for less than half that. He said he would be glad to install the parts if I wanted to go get them.
So, 10 min later I come back with the parts for a grand total of $121.
So point is, it's super easy with the internet to research costs and do an "apples to apples" comparison. Thew labor should be the same whether you provide the parts or they do. The only caveat is don't expect them to warranty the parts that you provide.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Cold Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So, 10 min later I come back with the parts for a grand total of $121.
First of all I’m very sorry to hear that a mechanic was trying to give you and your daughter the run around. I’m a pilot by profession but my father and extended family are mostly mechanics and absolutely despise chains or even the odd local shop that over charge and sell unnecessary repairs.

I will take a kind an honest approach with the dealer and see if they will meet in the middle grounds. I’m well aware that they won’t warranty a battery I provide but that’s what Costco’s return policy is for right?
Old 10-13-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Customer1

A weight distribution hitch is never part of the purchase price and it shouldn't be anymore than a truck should be included. You can buy one anywhere you wish.

A single G24 12v battery is typically included. Two 6v batteries would be an additional cost.

That bill doesn't look outlandish at all, some dealers add;
prep
delivery charges
cleaning
document fees
pizza for the staff
anything else they can think off
Old 10-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #8
Cold Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
A weight distribution hitch is never part of the purchase price and it shouldn't be anymore than a truck should be included. You can buy one anywhere you wish.

A single G24 12v battery is typically included. Two 6v batteries would be an additional cost.

That bill doesn't look outlandish at all, some dealers add;
prep
delivery charges
cleaning
document fees
pizza for the staff
anything else they can think off
This dealership was open about the cost including as much as they could in the sticker price - the battery was never discussed and they did give me the option of a single 12 or dual 6v. I chose the latter for additional amp hours but was expecting closer to $300. Again just something new to me as I’m just getting into the market
Old 10-14-2019, 03:34 AM   #9
German Shepherd Guy

I guess it must be a particular dealer thing.
When I bought my new TT last year (My first, new out-of-the-box TT) the batteries were included. 2 12V wired in series.
As I already had an equalizer hitch we just transferred it to the new unit when I went to pick it up.

I also switched out my LP tanks. I had two 30 gallon tanks on my old unit and we switched them out for the two 20's that came with it.

So, I am guessing it is a matter of individual negotiations with the dealer.
Good luck.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I guess it must be a particular dealer thing.
When I bought my new TT last year (My first, new out-of-the-box TT) the batteries were included. 2 12V wired in series.
As I already had an equalizer hitch we just transferred it to the new unit when I went to pick it up.

I also switched out my LP tanks. I had two 30 gallon tanks on my old unit and we switched them out for the two 20's that came with it.

So, I am guessing it is a matter of individual negotiations with the dealer.
Good luck.
I'm sure hoping that was a typo on your part. Two 12 volt batteries wired in SERIES would produce 24 Volts and burn up every 12 volt device in the trailer.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #11
Cold Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'm sure hoping that was a typo on your part. Two 12 volt batteries wired in SERIES would produce 24 Volts and burn up every 12 volt device in the trailer.
Yeah that would be not so good, I'm sure its a typo. Typically 2 6v in series will give you a little more life than 2 12v in parallel - or so I was told. 2 100Ah 12v = 200Ah or 2 6v at 235Ah will give you 235Ah (doesn't double due to series wiring) hence me asking for that option, but I thought deep cycle 6v were relatively inexpensive.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

Of course it was, but it would be cool to have a 24v system.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
Customer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Spot View Post
This dealership was open about the cost including as much as they could in the sticker price - the battery was never discussed and they did give me the option of a single 12 or dual 6v. I chose the latter for additional amp hours but was expecting closer to $300. Again just something new to me as I’m just getting into the market
I buy my 6v golf car batteries at Sam's Club for about $85us. Maybe Canadian Tire would be a good place for you.

My Cougar came with a G24 12v battery included. I put the G24 on my old trailer and put my one year old set of four GC2 golf car batteries on the Cougar.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #14
Brantlyj

Before we talked price I made sure to ask if there were any additional fees such as prep or delivery. My dealer did not have any of those extra and was rolled up into the price.
Hitch was extra but when we negotiated it was the price with hitch included. I suppose I could have searched for a cheaper price on the hitch but their stand alone price was not unreasonable.

The real extras cost is all the stuff your going to need if this is your first RV. I suppose I didn’t need all I bought, but I’m at roughly $1500 for stuff like an EMS, leveling blocks, X chocks, decent sewer hose, tool kit, MaxAir fan sheets, towels, all the dining and kitchen stuff as whatever else you might want to make it yours.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #15
sonofcy

Battery prices are a ripoff, here is a Canadian link. I have a pair and paid $189 each.
https://www.myequipment.ca/listings/...battery-canada
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #16
sonofcy

You are correct, but buy and install a shunt so you never use more than 50% as that will kill a FLA battery very quickly. Also invest in a proper smart battery maintainer for off season storage. And of course distilled water, hygrometer and watering device. I bought my Trimetric TM-2030-RV before I bought my first trailer.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
NRaynor

Beware of the ‘Dealer Fee’ especially in FL; I would shop around until I found a dealer that’s willing to negotiate the fee. The left over, end of model units are usually at a reasonable, negotiable price.
NRaynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #18
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaynor View Post
Beware of the ‘Dealer Fee’ especially in FL; I would shop around until I found a dealer that’s willing to negotiate the fee. The left over, end of model units are usually at a reasonable, negotiable price.
When I bought my Montana, I watched prices for 2 years before hand. I ordered mine at 62% of MSRP. It took 8 weeks but that was quick compared to the truck at 12 weeks. I also got what I thought was a very generous trade-in on our old TT of about $3k more than I was expecting. Check prices on www.rvtrader.com.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:16 PM   #19
Frosty46

Hell no!! I too despise that criminal conduct by dealers. Buy nothing with the rig and add them later for less than one quarter the cost is my experience---besides the techs at dealers are ignorant asses and will cause you problems one way or another installing those add on's. US business morals have declined to a degree I find unmanageable today. I will buy used and rehab my way to want I want in everything until business criminality is ended. I've noticed dishonesty is the modern times motto. Camping World is the winner so far in my life for shady practices on a daily basis.
Frosty46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:46 AM   #20
Roscommon48

all trailers should come with at least one battery...part of the price, not an option.

all other options do cost you more money than what you can buy outside of the dealer. the only option we get are the slide covers....
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote