Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
sealyin

Black tank capacity

We bought a used 2017 26RBIWE and really like it. According to the specs online, it should have a 38 gallon black tank but I have measured it twice and 30 gallons of water fill the tank all the way up to the throat of the tank. I made sure the trailer was level and the black tank was empty before starting. Where did my other 8 gallons go? Anyone ever noticed this? As stated above we really like this trailer. Just can’t figure out the math.
sealyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I bet if you look. At the spec sheet again, there is most likely some very small print that says “ subject to change without notice”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
travelin texans

Honestly 8 gallons is 3 to 5 flushes, will that make that much difference. If you're boondocking it might make a difference, but if connected to sewer doubt you'd notice, you'll dump every 4 days instead of 5.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealyin View Post
We bought a used 2017 26RBIWE and really like it. According to the specs online, it should have a 38 gallon black tank but I have measured it twice and 30 gallons of water fill the tank all the way up to the throat of the tank. I made sure the trailer was level and the black tank was empty before starting. Where did my other 8 gallons go? Anyone ever noticed this? As stated above we really like this trailer. Just can’t figure out the math.
On the front road side of your trailer is a information decal that provides the weight of the contents of the fresh water holding tank (with waste tanks empty) and a line that gives the weight of "all waste holding tanks". By doing some basic algebra, you should be able to determine whether that certification label is correct with a 38 gallon black tank or a 30 gallon black tank.

Some "possible explanations" are:

The tank may have been "rated for 38 gallons" when it was built and the prototype filled with liquid. Once installed in the trailer, if there are supports under and on the sides of the tank that won't allow it to "bulge" it may only contain 30 gallons.

It's possible the factory was out of 38 gallon tanks and substituted 32 gallon tanks during the time frame when your trailer was being built.

It's also possible that an "engineering change" was done to that model after the brochures were printed and the updated information was not changed on the website.

It's possible that there may have been a problem with weight/balance of the trailer model after being produced and a change was accomplished to improve safety when towing.

While for me, 8 gallons of black tank capacity is not as important as it seems for you, if it's an issue you find "critical to satisfaction", I'd suggest you might consider contacting Keystone and get their "official response".... It may be as simple as, "We were out of 38 gallon tanks and installed 32 gallon tanks rather than shut down the assembly line". Or they may say, "Oops, we'll change the specifications on the website, thanks for bringing it to our attention."

As the previous post indicates, there's a statement on the back page of every Keystone brochure and on their website that states, "All information is accurate at the date of publication of this document. All specifications, floor plans and options are subject to change without notice." It's not just Keystone, every brochure I've read from any RV manufacturer has the same type disclaimer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank