Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
Mikew1962

Drain from the bath sink and tub clogged

Hello, I have a 36' Keystone Mountaineer. When I run water in the bathroom sink it backs up into the tub. I plunged the tub, and that didn't work. I went in with a cable through the bathroom sink pipe. No good. I went in with a cable under the tub through the drain pipe going to the gray tank. I went in about 25'. Still didn't open it up. I have even put drain cleaner in it and that didn't do it. It appears that the gray tank must have two inlets, because the kitchen sink drains just fine and the gray tank drains fine out the outside drain. Any ideas? The drain pipe is in the floor so I can't access it. Is there a chance that when I go in with the cable it is going up a vent or something instead of clearing the clog before it gets to the gray tank? I called Keystone to get a schematic of how it is plumbed but they were no help at all.
Please help.
Mike
Mikew1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
dhn

Mike, sounds like you have a full gray tank. Don't know what model you have, do you have 1 or 2 gray tanks? Some models have a gray tank for the kitchen and a separate gray tank for the bathroom sink and tub/shower. There will be 3 handles to drain all the tanks. Hope this helps.

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
Mikew1962

kitchen sink drains right through the gray tank so that one is fine and there are only two handles
Old 08-01-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
dhn

What is the model number and year.

2019 GMC 3500 SRW CC 6.6
2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RBS
dhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
canesfan

Knowing the year and model might be helpful. There are many threads here about tanks not draining, only to find out that there is a third handle hidden somewhere, depending on the model. The biggest culprit I can think of is the on the frame up under a slideout and behind and/or above the wheels. And it is black on black and hard to see. Mine is one of these. But they have been found in other locations also.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Mikew1962

I'm not at home but I think the model is a 32PHD / VIN #4YDT32P277M733010
If it had 3 tanks, would it also have an extra level alarm on the panel?
Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
Mikew1962

Sorry, it's a 2007. Says it's a Mountaineer / Montana
Old 08-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #8
Mikew1962

I also pulled the cover down from the bottom of the trailer and stuck my head up there and only remember seeing 2 tanks, and the fresh water holding tank. I would love it if it was something so easy as a 3rd tank though.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

According to the specs I can find for 2007 32phd. you have a 67 gal fresh water tank, 38 gal. black water and 2 38 gal. gray water tanks. Look between and behind the wheels for another dumpvalve. (handle may be missing so look for the 1 1/2 in. pipe and valve. Happy crawling around under and let us know what you find, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Eastham

Did it work for you before is it a new to you rv and it has been like that since you got it Mine is a cougar 28 RLS and it has three leavers to dump three tanks.one is under the slide just behind the wheel.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #11
Johnny's Journey

Dumb question as it won't help matter's but I'd like to know since it's still on topic. To the experts presently on this issue at hand. Wouldn't the tank monitor reflect more than just one gray water tank ?
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
Mikew1962

MYSTERY SOLVED BECAUSE OF YOU GENIUS'S.
Guess what? There is a 2nd Gray tank. Here is the story. We bought this trailer last January. The seller gave us some brief instruction on how to drain it. I had a Jayco before this one so I knew the drill, but I had him show me where the drain valves were. He showed me the "2" pull rods. One for the black and one for the gray. Not sure if he forgot about the other one or what. But anyway, in May we took it out for a weekend trip. It worked fine. Drained everything when we left and went home. Then in July we went for our big trip for the summer. That's when the tub started backing up. Tried plunging it to no avail. So the whole trip I had to bale the water out of the tub and dump it in the toilet. YUK. It stunk too. OLD water. So, tonight I crawled under the camper and nope, only 2 pull handles to be found. But with closer look, by the black water pull handle, I see a slot in the black under frame cover that looks just like the slot the black water pull comes through. So I pull the cover down and low and behold, there is the gate valve for the gray tank, missing the pull handle. So that whole time the tank was full. In answer to the last questions, there are 4 tanks listed on the fill indicator. One says Galley, I wondered what that one was for. I was going to call the camper shop when I got home from vacation to ask them but forgot. But--none of them showed full, so I have a feeling that the sensor is not working on that one. So, after all the cabling, and plunging, you guys saved the day. Thank you so much. THIS PLACE IS AWESOME!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #13
Mikew1962

So, my next question is, which tank is the Galley tank? The one for the Kitchen sink, or the bathroom sink and tub?
Thanks, Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #14
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikew1962 View Post
In answer to the last questions, there are 4 tanks listed on the fill indicator. One says Galley, I wondered what that one was for.
Cool thanks for the answer. This topic comes up often but since I haven't owned anything with more than 1 grey and 1 black tank I wouldn't know either. Seems the monitor is the first place to look as the answer is right there.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #15
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikew1962 View Post
So, my next question is, which tank is the Galley tank? The one for the Kitchen sink, or the bathroom sink and tub?
Thanks, Mike
Hint, where is the food made for the crew of a boat/ship ?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
Mikew1962

In the Galley!!! Thanks for that answer. I know when we were on vacation, and the tub was backing up with water, I checked the fill level indicators and they were all empty. So, I'm pretty sure that the sensor has a problem. Are those very hard to change out or clean? I will use it a few more times and see what shows up on the sensors. It looked like there was a "T" between the Black water gate valve and the Gray water gate valve, where they both dump into the big 3" pipe that you dump in. Any idea if there is a check valve that keeps poop from getting pushed into the gray tank if that valve was open? I always dump the Black tank first and then flush out the hose with the Gray, but if a guy forgot that gate open that could be bad if the bad stuff could get pushed into the gray. Thanks, for any clarification you can give me.
Mike
Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Several comments/questions in your last post, so I'll try to cover them. Sensors are not reliable. Most of us have simply learned to ignore them. We learn how much water we use and how many days we can go when dry camping and we "live by the calendar" rather than relying on the status indicator panel. Even the battery indicator is "inaccurate" when you consider that there's only 1 volt difference between a battery at 100% charge and one at 30% charge. So what "good" would a 75, 50, 25 % light do (other than fool you into believing you're OK when really you might not be)... As for changing them, if they are expansion sensors you can change them out, if they are "spin-welded" into the tank, they're a permanent part and you'd be better off installing a new set adjacent to the defective ones. Or, honestly, just ignoring that part of the system and relying on the calendar...... Even new sensors will "foul" with a bit of tissue or waste and give a false reading. None of the OEM sensors are reliable to any degree where an experienced camper would rely on them.

All of the tanks "merge" into that one 3" dump connection. The black tank is a 3" tube, the galley (kitchen) and gray (bath) tanks "T" into that pipe and are 1.5" lines. There is no "check valve" and nothing to prevent black tank effluent from "backing up into the gray tanks" except for a slight "gravity incline" on those pipes. Most of us leave the gray valves closed, dump and flush the black tank, close the black valve, then open the nearest gray tank, allow it to empty and then open the furthest gray tank and allow it to empty. The gray water will "flush the lines" of black effluent. Once finished dumping, close the gray valves and replace the cap on the 3" terminal fitting.

Some of us (when dry camping and without access to water to use the black tank flush) will use gray water to "partially fill the black tank", then close the gray tank valve and dump the black tank a second time. That helps to flush any remaining waste from the black tank and with two full gray tanks, is easy to do, but isn't something to try unless you're familiar with your system and know how long each gray tank takes to empty. I suppose that would be "second level tank dumping" and mastering "first level tank dumping" would be in order before trying it.....

You're right, "if a guy forgot...." after a couple of mistakes, you'll get your routine down and you "remember not to forget" when you're dealing with black tank effluent..... One or two "unpleasant experiences" and you learn quickly what to do so you don't "forget"..... Any of us can assure you that you won't be "the only one" and most of us will also attest that we don't forget any more..... Or at least we work "diligently" to try not to forget !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, sink