Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2023, 11:21 AM   #1
bearsgirl

Summit tv stuck on one channel

Hi friends! I have a 2022 Keystone Cougar 290RLS. I'm having trouble with my Summit TV. When I turn it on it's stuck on channel 23. I replaced the remote batteries so that's not it. It won't change channel, select input or any functions except off and on. Is there a reset button? I've unplugged it, let it sit, and plugged it back in, still no go. I've also unplugged it and unhooked the cable wire from the wall, let it sit, hook them both back up, still nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions??
bearsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:05 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsgirl View Post
Hi friends! I have a 2022 Keystone Cougar 290RLS. I'm having trouble with my Summit TV. When I turn it on it's stuck on channel 23. I replaced the remote batteries so that's not it. It won't change channel, select input or any functions except off and on. Is there a reset button? I've unplugged it, let it sit, and plugged it back in, still no go. I've also unplugged it and unhooked the cable wire from the wall, let it sit, hook them both back up, still nothing. Does anybody have any suggestions??

“Does anybody have any suggestions??”

yes …throw that tv as far as you can …..then pick it up and try and throw it farther…get yourself a smart tv..i have a vizio but almost ANY brand is better then a summit.

you will be able to stream much easier and get a better picture for not much money all things considered…it was a fantastic upgrade for me…will probably have to modify the old tv bracket ( surprisingly the most robust and best built piece of equipment in the entire trailer including the lippert frame)…by drilling new holes in it or install a new one
Old 12-27-2023, 01:08 PM   #3
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
“Does anybody have any suggestions??”

yes …throw that tv as far as you can …..then pick it up and try and throw it farther…get yourself a smart tv..i have a vizio but almost ANY brand is better then a summit.

you will be able to stream much easier and get a better picture for not much money all things considered…it was a fantastic upgrade for me…will probably have to modify the old tv bracket ( surprisingly the most robust and best built piece of equipment in the entire trailer including the lippert frame)…by drilling new holes in it or install a new one
LMAO thank you jasin1 for the heartfelt advice that's honestly the route I figured I'd take but thought I'd see if there was an easy (and cheap ) fix first
Old 12-27-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
jsb5717

Ha, excellent advice, jasin. Curious...did you find that solution on YouTube?

I was thinking the same basic thing. Out with the old, in with better.

Grab a TV you like. Vizio has worked well for us. Many have bought a Samsung TV. Dealer's choice...
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:11 PM   #5
Martian

Another vote for Vizio as we have had good luck with them.

2018 Ram 1500 crew cab, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Just the two of us on the roam with our two Jacks.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:46 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Any brand will work but if you go to wally's (our tv shopping destination) and get the cheapest tv in the size of your choice, keep in mind, cheeeeeep televisions often have lousy sound and you will need to get a sound bar. If you get a sound bar, make sure the inputs/outputs match the cheap tv as the cheapo will often not have blue tooth or the optical sound input, etc. (please don't ask how I came to have this wisdom). I would not throw out the one channel tv but would have some target practice. ;-)
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:56 PM   #7
GlasNav

Although jasin1 might be on the right track, have you gone into setup and had the TV do a channel search for the mode that you are using whether cable or antenna?

2021 Cougar 25RDS
2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn, Mega Cab, DRW,
Cummins 6.7 HO, Aisin 6 Spd HD, 4x4
GlasNav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:59 PM   #8
LadyCPA

We recently had issues with the built in radio (IRV Technologies) for our Raptor. Hubby contacted manufacturer, and they had noted the identical issue with many of the units and promptly responded by email on how to fix it, I suggest you contact the manufacturer's help website with your question, as that is the cheapest fix. Good luck!
Columbia SC
LadyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:40 PM   #9
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasNav View Post
Although jasin1 might be on the right track, have you gone into setup and had the TV do a channel search for the mode that you are using whether cable or antenna?
I can't even get to any of the menus. It literally only goes to channel 23. Sometimes the menu screen will activate when pushed on the remote but it's just a flash then back to that channel. The only button that works is on/off. No channel up/down, nothing. The channel picture does go in and out, like there's a bad signal, but I can't access the menu to do a channel search
Old 12-27-2023, 05:23 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I know it's not what you want to hear but I agree with those suggesting replacing the TV. I had a Furrion in this trailer (I think it and the Summit are the same or clones) and it had several issues. My patience is usually very short and after going through the same kinds of attempts you've made (plus the sound from mine sounded like a 1940s tin can) I replaced the whole mess including the speakers (and added a sound bar) - I'm SO much happier now. I figured my aggravation costs me about 1 year of life per hour so wanted to minimize that. I wanted a Samsung replacement because they usually have a better picture and nearly always have better sound....but I wanted 3 HDMI inputs and the only ones I could find had 2 so I went with a Vizio. Does not have the sound of a Samsung but don't need it with the sound bar, the rest is just as good. Funny thing is they said my replacement was covered by warranty but I didn't want another Furrion and bought the Vizio personally. Gave the Furrion to the service dept. to be returned. In the end Keystone renigged on the warranty replacement, the service dept. gained a TV (they kept working on it until they could use it) and I had a newly purchased (by me) TV and sound system......I was, and am, very happy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 08:27 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCPA View Post
We recently had issues with the built in radio (IRV Technologies) for our Raptor. Hubby contacted manufacturer, and they had noted the identical issue with many of the units and promptly responded by email on how to fix it, I suggest you contact the manufacturer's help website with your question, as that is the cheapest fix. Good luck!
My aging memory seems to recall that Summit customer service isn't easy to find. If you do a search you will come up with Summit Electronics but they sell parts for obsolete electronics. If you search for "summit television" you will note that no one seems to be able to find support. The vendor may be out there but just a tad difficult to pin down.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 03:34 AM   #12
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My aging memory seems to recall that Summit customer service isn't easy to find. If you do a search you will come up with Summit Electronics but they sell parts for obsolete electronics. If you search for "summit television" you will note that no one seems to be able to find support. The vendor may be out there but just a tad difficult to pin down.
I've read the same thing while trying to search for a contact number. And that no one can agree on who actually makes this crappy tv to even contact . My only fear about buying a new one is I'm not very technically inclined lol and afraid I'm not going to buy a compatible one or be able to install a new one on the swing arm.
Old 12-28-2023, 03:39 AM   #13
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know it's not what you want to hear but I agree with those suggesting replacing the TV. I had a Furrion in this trailer (I think it and the Summit are the same or clones) and it had several issues. My patience is usually very short and after going through the same kinds of attempts you've made (plus the sound from mine sounded like a 1940s tin can) I replaced the whole mess including the speakers (and added a sound bar) - I'm SO much happier now. I figured my aggravation costs me about 1 year of life per hour so wanted to minimize that. I wanted a Samsung replacement because they usually have a better picture and nearly always have better sound....but I wanted 3 HDMI inputs and the only ones I could find had 2 so I went with a Vizio. Does not have the sound of a Samsung but don't need it with the sound bar, the rest is just as good. Funny thing is they said my replacement was covered by warranty but I didn't want another Furrion and bought the Vizio personally. Gave the Furrion to the service dept. to be returned. In the end Keystone renigged on the warranty replacement, the service dept. gained a TV (they kept working on it until they could use it) and I had a newly purchased (by me) TV and sound system......I was, and am, very happy.
Question: how do I know which one will be compatible with the bracket the current piece of crap is on? Are these things universal? Side note... I'm not handy . I can cook, but installing a TV is not in my wheelhouse lol
Old 12-28-2023, 05:49 AM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Question: how do I know which one will be compatible with the bracket the current piece of crap is on? Are these things universal? Side note... I'm not handy . I can cook, but installing a TV is not in my wheelhouse lol

Most tvs are all universally compatible with standard tv mounts..EXCEPT of course the Summit brand….you will need someone handy with a drill and proficient at “maths”

you need to measure the offset between the new tv mounting holes and the existing bracket …identify the center of the tv and transpose to the bracket to establish a corrected center line….do the same with the vertical center and how the tv sits above your base cabinet…then you can transfer those marks to the back of the new tv to get your measurements to drill holes in the existing bracket ….may take some trial and error…alternatively you could cut out a cardboard template of your entire tv and mark and drill holes in the cardboard that match the new tv mounting holes…then hold it up to the bracket in the closed and stored position and mark the holes onto the existing bracket

see picture below…me figuring it out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2305.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	45920  
Old 12-28-2023, 05:59 AM   #15
bearsgirl

Quote:
Most tvs are all universally compatible with standard tv mounts..EXCEPT of course the Summit brand….you will need someone handy with a drill and proficient at “maths”

you need to measure the offset between the new tv mounting holes and the existing bracket …identify the center of the tv and transpose to the bracket to establish a corrected center line….do the same with the vertical center and how the tv sits above your base cabinet…then you can transfer those marks to the back of the new tv to get your measurements to drill holes in the existing bracket ….may take some trial and error…alternatively you could cut out a cardboard template of your entire tv and mark and drill holes in the cardboard that match the new tv mounting holes…then hold it up to the bracket in the closed and stored position and mark the holes onto the existing bracket

see picture below…me figuring it out

maybe I can hang a help wanted sign on the door and offer to make cheesecake as payment
Old 12-28-2023, 06:28 AM   #16
jasin1

Attachment 45921
Quote:

maybe I can hang a help wanted sign on the door and offer to make cheesecake as payment

a cheesecake will work
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	45922  
Old 12-28-2023, 06:42 AM   #17
peanut

Quote:
Hi friends! I have a 2022 Keystone Cougar 290RLS. I'm having trouble with my Summit TV. When I turn it on it's stuck on channel 23. I replaced the remote batteries so that's not it
You replaced the remote's batteries but - - - maybe the remote itself went bad. Have you tried using the buttons on the tele itself? They are on the bottom right of the bezel. Or have you tried a different (universal) remote?

Now, with that said, I agree with others. Dump the crappy Summit and get a new tele - - whichever brand you like.
This is a timely thread (for me) because just yesterday I removed my crappy Summit and installed a Samsung. At $250, the new tele is one of the cheapest upgrades I have done to the trailer since I got it.

Quote:
Most tvs are all universally compatible with standard tv mounts..EXCEPT of course the Summit brand….
As stated, just yesterday I replaced the crappy 39" Summit with a 40" Samsung. Both were VESA compliant with mounting holes at 200mm x 200mm. The Samsung fit on the OEM bracket perfectly. The only difference was that the Summit used 6mm screws and the Samsung uses 8mm screws so I did have to make a trip to the hardware store.

BUT - - I had to raise the OEM wall bracket about an inch to get the Samsung to clear the bottom of the recess that the tele fits in. What was interesting about that was that of the 13 screws fastening it to the wall, half went into a metal backing plate. The other half had no backing plate behind them and just went into the 3/16" wallboard.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:46 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
You replaced the remote's batteries but - - - maybe the remote itself went bad. Have you tried using the buttons on the tele itself? They are on the bottom right of the bezel. Or have you tried a different (universal) remote?

Now, with that said, I agree with others. Dump the crappy Summit and get a new ele - - whichever brand you like.
This is a timely thread (for me) because just yesterday I removed my crappy Summit and installed a Samsung. At $250, a new tele is on of the cheapest upgrades I have done to the trailer since I got it.

As stated, just yesterday I replaced the crappy 39" Summit with a 40" Samsung. Both were VESA complient with mounting holes at 200mm x 200mm. The Samsung fit on the OEM bracket perfectly. The only difference was that the Summit used 6mm screws and the Samsung uses 8mm screws so I did have to make a trip to the hardware store.

BUT - - I had to raise the OEM wall bracket about an inch to get the Samsung to clear the bottom of the recess that the tele fits in. What was interesting about that was that of the 13 screws fastening it to the wall, half went into a metal backing plate. The other half had no backing plate behind them and just went into the 3/16" wallboard.

good to know they made the tv mount universal now…my 2020 summit tv was not

If I remember correctly the spacing may have been the same but the location of the threaded holes were different. This is the reason for drilling new holes in the bracket for me
Old 12-28-2023, 07:44 AM   #19
bearsgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post

Now, with that said, I agree with others. Dump the crappy Summit and get a new tele - - whichever brand you like.
This is a timely thread (for me) because just yesterday I removed my crappy Summit and installed a Samsung. At $250, the new tele is one of the cheapest upgrades I have done to the trailer since I got it.

As stated, just yesterday I replaced the crappy 39" Summit with a 40" Samsung. Both were VESA compliant with mounting holes at 200mm x 200mm. The Samsung fit on the OEM bracket perfectly. The only difference was that the Summit used 6mm screws and the Samsung uses 8mm screws so I did have to make a trip to the hardware store.

Yes tried that too lol buttons on the TV do the same thing. Only on/off work. Guess I'm off to Wallyworld . Thank you for the advice about the screws. I'll prob stop and get them just in case!!
Old 12-28-2023, 07:47 AM   #20
bearsgirl

Quote:
Attachment 45921

a cheesecake will work
omigosh did you make that meme?? ... still laughing