Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
peanut

24RDS water system drains

Since new, our trips have always been to parks with water hookups, so I have never filled the water tank.
We will be boondocking and overnighting on our upcoming trip so I am in the middle of sanitizing the water system.

First picture is the fresh water tank drain. Any quick and dirty tips on stopping that dripping? Without replacing the valve? Also am a bit concerned about the amount of bulge that a full tank has. Obviously not enough support under that tank. No time to fix that now (leave in one week) so I guess I'll only carry 20-25 gallons of water at a time and hopefully nothing breaks.

Second picture - - - what are those drains? Last fall I drained from those pipes and a fair bit of water came out. I thought they were the fresh water tank drains but I am certainly wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water tank.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	46418   Click image for larger version

Name:	mid frame.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	46419  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You can try rotating the drain, it may have some debris in the valve.

The second picture is your low point drains. They allow you to drain all the water from your fresh water lines. Simply remove the caps and open the faucets.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 12:59 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Keep in mind that there are "more than water weight to consider" when making the decision to tow with water in the fresh water tank...

1. Water weight is about 8 pounds per gallon, so 30 gallons will put around 240 pounds in the tank. If it's not full, then it will "slosh around as you travel. Which brings us to #2.

2. 240 pounds of water "slamming into the sides of the FWT can cause significantly more damage than a full tank which is 480 pounds. That 240 pounds can actually cause the FWT to shift back and forth until it breaks the straps under the tank which would easily hold a static load of 480 "pounds all day long".

If you're concerned with "tank integrity" then I'd recommend only putting 5 or 10 gallons in it (so you can flush/wash hands during the trip) and then fill up at the campground before you tow to the campsite.

Also remember to consider that water weight comes directly off cargo capacity. So, depending on what else you're carrying on this trip, you may not have 500 pounds to spare for a full tank of water or even 240 pounds for a half tank.

So, lots to consider beyond whether the bottom of the trailer looks like it might be sagging.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 01:11 PM   #4
RollaMo

As mentioned by Chuckster, try opening and closing that fresh water drain valve a few time (Have some water in the tank, that can help flush possible small debris).
You can also taking a piece of wire (like coat hanger size) and push up through the valve just a little while it is open and water running out.
That can help clear it out. Worked for me anyway.

Also as mentioned, those two red and blue lines are your low point drains.

From the factory they just have caps on them, but I cut the lines back a little and installed actual shutoff valves on my 24RDS.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:52 AM   #5
CBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Keep in mind that there are "more than water weight to consider" when making the decision to tow with water in the fresh water tank...

1. Water weight is about 8 pounds per gallon, so 30 gallons will put around 240 pounds in the tank. If it's not full, then it will "slosh around as you travel. Which brings us to #2.

2. 240 pounds of water "slamming into the sides of the FWT can cause significantly more damage than a full tank which is 480 pounds. That 240 pounds can actually cause the FWT to shift back and forth until it breaks the straps under the tank which would easily hold a static load of 480 "pounds all day long".

If you're concerned with "tank integrity" then I'd recommend only putting 5 or 10 gallons in it (so you can flush/wash hands during the trip) and then fill up at the campground before you tow to the campsite.

Also remember to consider that water weight comes directly off cargo capacity. So, depending on what else you're carrying on this trip, you may not have 500 pounds to spare for a full tank of water or even 240 pounds for a half tank.

So, lots to consider beyond whether the bottom of the trailer looks like it might be sagging.
Wow, I had not thought about a half full tank causing issues. Thank you for this nugget!

TT: 2024 Cougar Half-Ton 25MLE
TV: 2022 F-250 Crew Cab XLT 7.3 Godzilla
Old TT: 2021 Jayco 264BH
Old TV: 2012 F-150 Crew Cab XLT EcoBoost
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:17 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Was it my imagination or did the FWT seem like it was sagging in the OP's posted image?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM   #7
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Was it my imagination or did the FWT seem like it was sagging in the OP's posted image?
Yes, it is sagging/bulging quite a bit. It is the reason I commented about being concerned about it. That picture was taken with the tank full, just before draining after sitting for 24 hours with the bleach solution.

We will be dry camping (overnight parking) for 3-4-5 days at a time - basically parking lot stays at Harvest Host/BoondockersWelcome sites - between extended stays at a campground. I want to carry water for those nights for toilet flushing, hand/dish washing and perhaps very quick navy showers every other day or so. (The wife insists we use bottled water for cooking)

Now I don't trust the tank - but won't have time to fix it. It is a 54 gallon tank. After reading John's response, I will carry a minimum amount of water - perhaps 12-15 gallons and see how it goes. See how long it lasts.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:38 AM   #8
NH_Bulldog

When we travel, we typically carry 10 gallons in the tank to allow for basic needs on the road, and then add more with the two-6 gallon water jugs we carry "just in case". This was born out of the fact that on our Passport, the water tank is at the very front of the trailer, so it added a lot of tongue weight when we towed with our 1/2 ton truck. Less of a concern now with our current truck, but I still follow the same procedure. Depending on whether there is a water source at your planned overnights, I would consider filling up/topping off at your destination. The other argument against traveling with a full tank, is that like our (on-order) 29BHS, the fresh water tank is all the way at the rear and that much weight behind the rear wheels will pull weight off your pin and could create some handling issues.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:19 AM   #9
Boomguy

Hello,

Are you sure that’s the water tank and not the underbelly covering the tank? Most modern RV’s have the tanks inside the frame and it’s covered to keep it from freezing.
Not sure just asking.
Boomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 11:31 AM   #10
crowbar

We rarely stay at full service campsites. It's usually provincial or state parks where we use our own power and water etc. That being said, we always travel with our water tanks full and have never had a problem. We only sanitize our system on occasional seasons as we use bottled water for personal consumption and the water from our trailer for cleaning etc. But if you're not comfortable with full tanks when travelling, then you shouldn't do it. Anything that detracts from you having a relaxing trip should be avoided.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 01:43 PM   #11
rlh1957

Blue/Red are low point drains for whole rig.
I put ball shut off valves on mine to get rid of the plastic caps.
I also replaced FW drain with a ball valve.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water