Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
ronson

hooking up inverter

I am in the process of hooking a inverter to the 110 side of the converter on our newly acquired 2006 laredo 28rl. Just ckecking if anyone has done this? I would like to make the 110 plugs hot with the inverter instead just wiring it to the tv. Our converter is a WFCO 3 stage 55 watt converter. The battery charging side seems to be hooked to the I believe the number 2 and 4 breakers. I am a brand new member to this forum. Thanks

Moderator's Note:
Post moved from New Member Check In
ronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
hankaye

ronson, Howdy;

First, Welcome to the forum

Ok, now for the fun stuff ...
The search function may lead you to some interesting things ...
Don't know if you got an onwer's Manual with it of if you bought
it used ..... helpful things to help us to help you better.
So, here is the on line version;

http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/Image...rDocs/11-3.pdf

Hope this helps, it does have some phone numbers too.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Powering the trailer that way is the same as a built in generator, you will need some type of transfer switch to isolate the inverter when on shore power. Using an inverter to run your converter will deplete batteries very quickly and is not practical at all. Maybe one of our member electricians will be of more help but I would not recommend it. JM2˘, Hank

PS, I also think that you will end up with the male shore power plug being hot!!!
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
ronson

inverter hookup

thanks, the male plug would be hot if unhooked. I was planning on putting a switch. I enjoy these forums as they are very educational and everyone's own ideas. I have done a lot to this fifth wheel already. It had a leak in the gray water valve as a gasket oring was installed wrong. I ended up pulling the belly pan out which became tougher than I thought it would. I fixed the oring and ended moving the valve handles to the edge, and mine was marked correctly. I also changed the drain pipe which was hanging down waiting for an accident to happen. I cut the pipe up inside at the t and put in two 45's
connected to the t with double clamped rubber connector. I also extended the drain out to the edge the outside wall. This should make life a lot easier.
ronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
jsmith948

Please do a forum search for a post by JohnnyFry - his advice was dead on when I was doing a similar mod. I only have one circuit that
is powered by the inverter, using a DPDT switch that, when shore power is off, the inverter powers the circuit. When shore power is present, a coil is energized, switching the hot & common to the AC panel. Works really well

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
jonathansmith
Permanent User Ban

Hello
I agree with hankpage, this is not at all practical. This way you will spend more in batteries as more number of batteries will be used in less time. I too will not recommend it.
jonathansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
raytronx

I found the cleanest solution to the inverter install was to keep the circuits separate and have a completely separate AC outlet from just the inverter.

I even have one that is colored red so we know its the inverter powered outlet. And the remote inverter power switch is right beside it.

When your dry camping your not going to run many things off the inverter if possible because the batteries will be depleted and you have to fire up the generator anyway.

I put it near the TV area so I can run the TV and charge things up like phones, laptops,tablet, etc, if I need AC power elsewhere I just use an extension cord.

If I need to run more AC things like microwave I fire up my generator.

Here is my inverter install if you'd like to see what I did in my Cougar.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote