Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Like I related in my first post:

"If you're planning to stay in and around Juneau, you'd probably be OK with camping in your Raptor if you can maintain electricity and propane. Move inland much over 50 miles and that's another story all together."

You should be OK around the coast. Temps there aren't much below freezing much of the winter. It's when you move inland that you'll start having problems. If you're looking at camping around the coast, have a generator and enough propane, I'd put plastic on the big windows, foam the obvious holes in the underbelly, load up and enjoy. But if the forcast is for much below about 20F, then I'd start to worry about damage unless the plumbing is winterized or protected by extraordinary measures.

As for putting foam in the ceiling vents and A/C, I'd think twice about sealing the vents. You'll produce an enormous amount of humidity with cooking, bathing, and simply breathing. I'd leave a vent at one end and a window at the opposite end "functional" so you can get the humidity out. Ideally, a power vent will help move the moisture faster and once it's dry inside, you can close the vent until the next time things get wet. I found that with a heat strip in the air conditioner we had much less humidity except for shower time or when cooking. The electric heating element seemed to dry the air almost too much during the night and when we were not real active inside the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #22
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
For information sake, Juneau's wether is like a crummy day from my old home state of Michigan. Japanese trade winds and a mountain range keeps it somewhat reasonable.
Very true. Few realize that the average temperature of Juneau is basically the same as the average temperature of the Baltimore-Washington area.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #23
Loriv247

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
Where is anyone's sense of adventure?? Get out of the lazy boy and experience life in the cold. After tenting a week in Alaska, you come to appreciate everything we take for granted...draft free and waterproof homes with on-demand heat or cold. A 19 century home has the same insulation as my RV and it is comfortable.
I personally love the cold as well. However, living in California, my version of cold is probably quite different than most people

We however enjoy camping with our family in Temecula near wine country where winter temps are high 40's in the day and low 30's to high 20's at night. That's what campfires are for right?

Have fun and good luck!
Loriv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #24
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriv247 View Post
I personally love the cold as well. However, living in California, my version of cold is probably quite different than most people

We however enjoy camping with our family in Temecula near wine country where winter temps are high 40's in the day and low 30's to high 20's at night. That's what campfires are for right?

Have fun and good luck!
That’s a good fall night camping in Northern MI and WI. We have camped in Door County WI, in Late Oct and have had low 20F night time temps. In mid April of 2011 we stayed near the Mississippi river and had daytime temps of 28 to 30F with snow and night time temps were in the low teens. This was spring time camping. Winter camping to me is when the ambient day time temps are in the high signal digit or low teens and the night time temps are in the minus range.
Did a lot of winter camping when I was in Boy Scouts and as an Explore scout along with being a leader with my boys in scouts. Now older and wiser with the camper we go to a Hotel in the winter.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
Loriv247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
That’s a good fall night camping in Northern MI and WI. We have camped in Door County WI, in Late Oct and have had low 20F night time temps. In mid April of 2011 we stayed near the Mississippi river and had daytime temps of 28 to 30F with snow and night time temps were in the low teens. This was spring time camping. Winter camping to me is when the ambient day time temps are in the high signal digit or low teens and the night time temps are in the minus range.
Did a lot of winter camping when I was in Boy Scouts and as an Explore scout along with being a leader with my boys in scouts. Now older and wiser with the camper we go to a Hotel in the winter.
Jim W.
Burr Jim! Too cold for this So Cal girl, lol!
Loriv247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #26
Yak

I do it at least once a year, just got back today. A hard side tent for the most part. I didn't use the plumbing systems, left them winterized.