Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Tinbender

Computers on the road

Hi all, maybe you can help me out here.
OK,
We have been boon docking for years with a beat up old camp trailer but now have up graded to an RV and will be/have been staying at RV parks and trying to behave in a civilized manner.

Not being conversant with the available technologies I am asking what would be the best all around traveling companion,technically speaking, to take along to these RV parks. A laptop, an I pad, just a fancy cell phone, or something else.

My thought was to be able to (once at the RV park) check email, a web site or two, check weather, have some programs for route planning, and maybe even have it work in the truck while traveling.

What am I looking for?

Thanks
Tinbender
Tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
hankaye

Tinbender, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum.

"My thought was to be able to (once at the RV park)
check email, a web site or two, check weather, have some programs for
route planning, and maybe even have it work in the truck while traveling.

What am I looking for?
"

I fulltime so my needs are somewhat different than a weekender or
week or 2 on the roader's. I currently use a USB modum from a phone
company, but am getting a WiFi for a less expensive connection as I
tend to get either up to or slightly over my Gigabite allowence. I'll keep
the USB drive secure things (paying bills and other ID sensitive
communications), and use the WiFi for regular routine surf-the-web stuff.
This is what I do and it works for me ..... others will give you their opinions
as to what works for them and this is pretty much one of those 'one thing
don't fit all deals'.
Please read the replys that will follow and check around on your own, ask
questions at the electronics stores and at the phone company stores to see
what will fit with your camping needs as far as coverage and 3G or 4G
requirements.
Happy Hunting ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
B&T

We have multiple devices that we use that need a WiFi connection. After staying in many campgrounds that had WiFi available but we were too far away from their hotspot to have a reliable connection we decided to get a jefatech Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs. It was pricey but has been worth it to us.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

My wife teaches online college courses for Devrey University, so we need reliable, go anywhere internet access. A few years ago, we would wind up in McDonald's, the local library, or if we were lucky enough, a campground with wifi access. All that changed when the USB cellphone modems came on the market. They were slow (did i say SLOW) but allowed us to have access if we could see a cell tower that provided service for our cell company. When the 3G/4G wifi hotspots came onto the scene, we started looking again. It appears to us that Verizon has the best coverage in "remote" areas. We've been to a State Forest campground 12 miles down a dirt road in the middle of Michigan's Upper Penninsula and found internet service available. There are a few places where there's no service, but it hasn't impacted us yet as we haven't travelled to those sites. The Verizon coverage map on their website is pretty accurate, right down to the street level.

The small hotspot device we have connects securely (there's a 12 character password) and prevents anyone with typical comptuer skills from hacking into your system. We carry notebook computers (we already had them) and have not yet gone to the smart phone setup so I can't discuss the merits of that system. My wife just got a Kindle Fire since the number of books she packs along for those afternoon reads was getting out of hand. The wifi supports her access to download more reading material with no problems.

If you already have a computer device you're familiar with using and it does what you need, there's no reason to upgrade unless you just want to spend money. Talk to Verizon about their anywhere access. AT&T also has access, but at this time, we find their coverage in the northern Michigan/Wisconsin area to be spotty and less reliable than Verizon.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinbender View Post
Not being conversant with the available technologies I am asking what would be the best all around traveling companion,technically speaking, to take along to these RV parks. A laptop, an I pad, just a fancy cell phone, or something else.

My thought was to be able to (once at the RV park) check email, a web site or two, check weather, have some programs for route planning, and maybe even have it work in the truck while traveling.
A good smart phone will meet most of your requirements, but quickly falls short if you have much typing to do. We carry both of our laptops and smart phones with us when we go out. The laptops are for serious online work, but we haven't stepped up to a hotspot yet. The smart phones get all incoming email so we don't miss anything coming to us, but some longer replies will wait up to a day until we have wifi available for the laptops.

I have a 12vdc adapter for my laptop and DW is getting one for Christmas so we can use the laptops even when boondocking. My laptop can also be used mobile in the truck.

I installed a dual USB power outlet in the trailer for charging smart phones and Kindles. Another is on order for installation in the new TV.

We have satellite radio and GPS units in both vehicles plus FRS and GMRS two-way radio capability. We take both vehicles when we go out for our two week trips in the Adirondacks several times a year. She tows the boat with the Grand Cherokee.

The big limitation to all this is the wifi availability. A hotspot solves most of that, but is an added expense that not everyone will want or need. Remember that a hotspot still needs a cell signal to function so depending on your camping style and locations, it may or may not be useful.

Since you folks were boondockers, I would guess you won't completely give up that style of camping. Some of your technology choices may be dependent on where you camp on a regular basis.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
raytronx

An Ipad with the built in 3G is my favorite all around device for travelling. A big plus is the battery life, usually 8 hours or more. Also the 3G one has built in GPS which works great with the tons of apps available for RVing.

We still use a laptop for serious things but if I only could take one thing I would grab the Ipad. As long as I can get a Internet connection I can use Skype to make phone calls too.

2011 Keystone Cougar 276RLSWE
1994 Ford F350 7.3L IDI DRW

LoveYourRV.com
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
f6bits

My iPhone 5 can act as a WiFi hotspot. With that, we can get enough connectivity for our laptops and iPad for the limited use you describe (email, a couple of websites), and still stay within our 2GB monthly limit.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Bob Landry

The 3G I-pads are going to be pretty pricey for a limited amount of data. Depending on how much you need, you may be better off with a mobile hotspot. We use the one from Time Warner and works great on the wife's Ipad and our laptops in the campground. It uses Sprint's cell towers and just about everywhere there is cell phone service we have unlimited wifi for $50 a month. It also works in the truck while we are on the road so she can play games and check Google map to see how far from our destinations we are.
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
mikell

I've been usinf Virgin Mobile USB WIFI becuse there's no contract. I have a new smart phone that is a WIFI hot spot so if anybody needs a USB 3G stick. My new cell gives unlimited data for 25$ a month
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Tinbender

Hi all,
Thanks for the input on different devices.
Much to consider and try to figure out what would be best for our use.
Will do more research on the things mentioned.
Thanks again
Tinbender
Old 12-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
fzsilverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
The 3G I-pads are going to be pretty pricey for a limited amount of data. Depending on how much you need, you may be better off with a mobile hotspot. We use the one from Time Warner and works great on the wife's Ipad and our laptops in the campground. It uses Sprint's cell towers and just about everywhere there is cell phone service we have unlimited wifi for $50 a month. It also works in the truck while we are on the road so she can play games and check Google map to see how far from our destinations we are.
I am in the Austin/Round Rock area and have been looking for the deal you speak of with Time Warner. I have yet to find anything that you speak of. Could you give a little bit more detail or send a link. We will be doing so camping for the holidays and looking for a way to give the kiddos access to the internet for a reasonable price for a week and a half.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
B&T

Quote:
I am in the Austin/Round Rock area and have been looking for the deal you speak of with Time Warner. I have yet to find anything that you speak of. Could you give a little bit more detail or send a link. We will be doing so camping for the holidays and looking for a way to give the kiddos access to the internet for a reasonable price for a week and a half.
Not sure, but maybe this is it:

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...-hotspots.html

But coverage areas seem to be spotty(look for blue dots on the following map)

http://timewarnercable.cellmaps.com/...1804218292&z=4
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
gepaine

Bare Bones Approach

Since all but one of the previous posts suggested a solution that involved a cell phone, I thought I would chime in with a less expensive solution.

We use a netbook which we couldn't be happier with. We rely on free wi-fi at Starbucks, McDonalds, or at campgrounds. We also have all our iTunes loaded on it, and connect the netbook to the tow vehicle's audio system. As netbooks are on the way out, the nearest similar option would be an Apple iPad or similar tablet device not made by Apple.

We have a "dumn phone" since we have not yet come across a burning desire to pay for expensive data rates. Of course, your needs may dictate that you use a cell phone. For us, our bare bones solution works just fine.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
mikell

My new cell phone has a hot spot built in and it only cost 15$ a month for unlimited and only when you need it not every month.

it's a virgin Mobile phone
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #15
Tinbender

Well thanks all for the input.

I got the wife a Kindle Fire HD with the extra memory and that pleased her so I am happy as well.

We have been on one 4 day trip since then staying at an RV park with free WiFi and it worked out very well for us. The plain cell phone is all we have and all we need in our travels, just enough to call AAA or Good Sam if needed.

Thanks again for the information it helped with the decision making.
Tinbender