Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
The Hanscom's

Heating Problem or Not?

My wife and I just purchased a new 2012 Montana mountaineer 346lbq. Trying out the furnace and don't seem to have much air flow in the living room to the front bedroom just wondering if this is normal?
The Hanscom's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
randyb01

I have a passport and am taking it back to dealer on friday for the same problem. They told me factory often puts too much ducting in underneath and once the underbelly is put on in gets kinked, so they will drop underbelly and repair. We have lots of heat out middle vent but ver little in the front and rear bedrooms.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

The problem you are having with the lack of heat in the upper bedroom area is fairly common with many Keystone products. The culprit seems to be the ductwork between the furnace and the bedroom. It may have kinks caused by wires or plumbing fixtures resting on them, 90 degree bends, or constuction debris left in the ducts, or other issues.
You might try vacuuming the ductwork to remove any possible debris, examining your ducts for kinks or sharp bends which might be restricting airflow. In order to do this, you might have to peek inside the underbelly by lowering a portion of the black plastic coroplast cover or look inside your storage compartments. You can straighten out some of the ductwork and reduce the 90 degree bends in a portion of the ductwork which should help with the airflow to the bedroom.
Some members have replaced the existing floor registers with ones that have adjustable louvres so that you can close off the airflow from one area.
Hope this is some help.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
geo

Festus2 is correct. During some of my mods, I removed over 15 feet of extra duct. It is probably more time efficient to just connect a length of standard duct rather than cut it to proper length and have short bits left over. The other problem I noticed was the two rear ducts were somewhat crushed when they passed around the fresh water tank. I was able to correct this also.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
The Hanscom's

heating

thanks were the ideas i'll look into them and see if one of them might be the problem. Thanks again and happy camping
The Hanscom's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
jlarocca

I know this is an old post but did you ever figure this out? My 346LBQ has one half size duct next to the bed and when the furnace is running you can barely feel anything coming out of it. The dealer told us it had heat in the A/C but it didn't. They are supposed to be sending me heat strips this week.
jlarocca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlarocca View Post
I know this is an old post but did you ever figure this out? My 346LBQ has one half size duct next to the bed and when the furnace is running you can barely feel anything coming out of it. The dealer told us it had heat in the A/C but it didn't. They are supposed to be sending me heat strips this week.
As has been pointed out in this thread and several others, the only way to verify air flow from the furnace out into the trailer is to eyeball all of the ducting.

In this thread http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...highlight=hvac I posted a number of tips and ideas about improving air flow in the furnace system.

If you search on duct or hvac or furnace you will find a number of threads with extensive discussions of these issues.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote