Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
GBS

Recommeded 5th hitch for Xlite 28SGS?

Have not yet bought, but a 28SGS fifth is at the top of the list. Also have on order a Ford F-150 SuperCrew, 6.5 box, Eco/HD Pay/Max Tow.

One dealer says a slider is needed, another says not. Removeablity and least amount of remainders in the bed would be factors in preference. Any recommendations as to type/brand or experiences towing similar??
GBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
RCrawler

Is it a SuperCrew with the short shortbed? Or is it a traditional crewcab with a 6.5 ft shortbed?

If it is a typical 6.5 foot shortbed, I would recommend a slider hitch. I was told that a slider wasn't needed on my truck, but there is no way it would have cleared the cab without one. Better to have one and never need it rather than get into a situation where you needed it.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Tim&Patty

Recommeded 5th hitch for Xlite 28SGS?

GBS,
Nice choice on the 5er, looking at the site it didn't mention a Max Turn front cap, but I'm sure it does. Our first a 2010 XLite 26SAB didn't like my 2010 F-150s 5.5 box so a Reese Slider was mandatory. I didn't use it very often and there was once that should have ($2200 ouch)(RHDW doesn't multi-task very well, watching the back of the site instead of the cab). Traded the TV/RV and kept the slider, (another 5.5 box) and used the slider once last year when I wanted to stay on the hard surface road and not chance getting stuck in the mud after a down pour.

As far as to what's left in the bed when it removed, just the two cross mounts that stick up about 1 1/2 inches, pull 5 pins and she's out, the hitch breaks into two manageable pieces, in the winter I throw in a sheet of plywood, but then I don't haul much LOL. I don't like being in the position of saying "If I only had" but that's me

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
allentx1

I know it's expensive, but, Pullrite auto slider. There is no better peace of mind than going anywhere without thinking you will smash your 2 valuable possessions. Plus, the entire assembly will come out with locking pins all the way to the flat truck bed. May be a little heavy but will break into a few big pieces if needed. Flat floor, peace of mind and lots of money. Pay it now, pay it later.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
halfprice

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentx1 View Post
I know it's expensive, but, Pullrite auto slider. There is no better peace of mind than going anywhere without thinking you will smash your 2 valuable possessions. Plus, the entire assembly will come out with locking pins all the way to the flat truck bed. May be a little heavy but will break into a few big pieces if needed. Flat floor, peace of mind and lots of money. Pay it now, pay it later.
Another vote for the Pullrite. I bought a cherry piker hoist off Craigs list. I use it to lift the hitch out of truck. It saves my back.

Jerry

2008 Keystone Springdale 242FWRLSSR 5th wheel
2011 Chevy 2500 6.0 gas
16K Super Glide Sliding Hitch
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #6
drifter101

Needed a hitch a while ago, found one online that did the trick for me... I don't know if it's suitable for yours but this is their site: http://www.hitchanything.com/search....=search&page=1
drifter101 is offline   Reply With Quote