Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
DTJ9610

Truck passing with flying colors

I purchased my '08 Tundra in February and the '11 Laredo 303TG in March. Having spent the summer towing it mostly an hour to our campground and 1 trip about 650 mile (round) it's nice to report that the truck is handling it with flying colors. With the truck being used I can't say for certain what shape the brakes and tires were in. However, with this past oil change the reported that the brakes are still well into the green (according to that model of green/yellow/red they have) and the tires and shocks are all in great shape. The Tundra is turning out to be a great tuck.

Looking forward to many, many, many more years of towing with it.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Great to hear that the Tundra is providing you with the towing ability that you expected and; for the short trips that you have taken, is passing your test "with flying colours". Hopefully, it will still meet your expectations when you go further afield and into some hillier or mountainous terrain.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Flyguy

WOW!! another Tundra owner that is satisfied with his gasser. Please don't say it too loud cause the diesel boys will be all over you! I've pulled my RV from Dothan, AL to Kalamazoo, MI without a problem and all through the Smoky Mountains also without a problem both uphill and downhill. MPG ranges from a low of 10 to a high of 12 depending on terrain, ethanol contant of the fuel, towing speed, and the way you drive. I use the tow/haul switch and place the tranny in S-5 and tow at 55mph to 60mph. Hey I'm happy
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
jq1031

I probably should not comment as I always seem to p..s someone off. From what I've read & heard about that half ton gasser it's a great truck! If down the road you're going to do the 6% grades that are not unusual in certain areas of our beautiful country you may be in for a little rethinking. Having said that, enjoy & be safe!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Flyguy

Your correct, don't comment!
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #6
pkemmerlin

2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7

Why is it some many people are quick to put down the Tundra for Towing? We have a 2008 Keystone Hornet 30 FKS and it pulls it like a dream! We even have pulled a trailer with a golf cart behind it. Before anyone says anything we have since learned that will void the warranty on the camper so we will no longer be doing that. But again the Tundra had no problems pulling it. We have ordered the Cougar HC 321 RES and I keep hearing the Tundra is going to struggle. The HC is only 600 pound heavier. Why?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Outbackmel

Tundra Crewmax

Hey there, no one says Tundra is a bad choice. Depends on your specific requirement. I see you are over here in the eastern US. Those mountain terrains offer much different challenges. To each his own. Be safe and have fun.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
pkemmerlin

Mountains

I know we want be able to pull it through the mountains. The only place we camp is Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkemmerlin View Post
Why is it some many people are quick to put down the Tundra for Towing? We have a 2008 Keystone Hornet 30 FKS and it pulls it like a dream! We even have pulled a trailer with a golf cart behind it. Before anyone says anything we have since learned that will void the warranty on the camper so we will no longer be doing that. But again the Tundra had no problems pulling it. We have ordered the Cougar HC 321 RES and I keep hearing the Tundra is going to struggle. The HC is only 600 pound heavier. Why?
JM2¢ ..... But towing a 35 foot 10,000 lb. trailer with any ½ ton truck is not safe. And I do think the Tundra is one of the best ½ tons out there.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
pkemmerlin

Weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
JM2¢ ..... But towing a 35 foot 10,000 lb. trailer with any ½ ton truck is not safe. And I do think the Tundra is one of the best ½ tons out there.
I'm not trying to be rude but just a ?. How did you come up with 10,000 pounds? I just hope we didn't miss something.

Specs for Model 321RES

Weight:

7565(lb)
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Agree! We have had several conversations about payload limitations of 1/2 ton trucks in several other threads over the past couple of weeks. I won't repeat the same details over and over again.

But I will say that the tongue weight of a 10K# trailer uses up at least 90% of the truck's total payload capacity. Add the weight of the driver, one adult passenger, and even a little "stuff" in the bed of the truck and you are overloaded.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
SteveC7010

Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude but just a ?. How did you come up with 10,000 pounds? I just hope we didn't miss something.

Specs for Model 321RES

Weight:

7565(lb)
The OP's Laredo is 7,475 dry weight with a load capacity of 1,525 which yeilds a GVWR of 9k#.

Your 321RES has a dry weight of 7,565 and a load capacity 2,249 which makes for 9,814 GVWR. If we don't quibble over 186 pounds, it's a 10K trailer.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
pkemmerlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
The OP's Laredo is 7,475 dry weight with a load capacity of 1,525 which yeilds a GVWR of 9k#.

Your 321RES has a dry weight of 7,565 and a load capacity 2,249 which makes for 9,814 GVWR. If we don't quibble over 186 pounds, it's a 10K trailer.
I just joined the forum this week. I have spent every minute I have reading the threads to gather more information. I'm asking these ?'s because I honestly don't know. We have the option of storing the camper at the camp ground and I'm trying to decide if that is the best thing to do. Thank you for the information.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

What you list is the empty weight. I don't know of anyone who hasn't added at least 500 or more pounds in cargo, not to mention propane, battery, hitch, etc.

actually here are the specs from the Keystone website:

Shipping weight 7751
Cargo capacity 2249 That's a total of 10,000 lbs
Hitch 900
Length 35'4"
Height 10'9"

That's a MIGHTY BIG trailer for any 1/2 ton truck regardless of manufacturer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #15
DTJ9610

I had the luxury of jumping on a CAT scale on my trip down to Gettysburg from Buffalo. With food for the 5 days (family of 5) and all personal belongings (including bikes, blue tote, etc.) the whole rig weighed in at 15,200 (16k max).

Not saying I wouldn't upgrade to a bigger truck (saw a lovely used Chevy 3500 dually for $50k, It really was a thing a beauty), but for the funds I had at the time the Tundra is doing everything I need.

Previous Trailers
2011 Jayco 17z

Previous Tows
2007 Toyota Sienna
2008 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7L V8 4x4
DTJ9610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM   #16
jq1031

This is one subject that everyone has an opinion on. Sometimes it even gets a little heated as we all love our trucks, no matter what size, and one size definately does not fit all. I recently observed a new chevy dually pulling a pop up camper into a state park. To tell that guy he had the wrong tow vehicle most likely would have got a "mind your own business" responce. Here on this forum someone asks a question & if they don't like the responce, well, that goes with the territory. As the saying goes, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Some of my posts have had negetive comebacks, but the things I've learned here from much of this diologue has enriched my knowledge of RV's, trucks & especially keeping safe on the highway. Knowledge is power, if I'm told something and don't pay any attention, at least I've been told. Keep up these spirited diologues as it's good for all of us!!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq1031 View Post
This is one subject that everyone has an opinion on. Sometimes it even gets a little heated as we all love our trucks, no matter what size, and one size definately does not fit all. I recently observed a new chevy dually pulling a pop up camper into a state park. To tell that guy he had the wrong tow vehicle most likely would have got a "mind your own business" responce. Here on this forum someone asks a question & if they don't like the responce, well, that goes with the territory. As the saying goes, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. Some of my posts have had negetive comebacks, but the things I've learned here from much of this diologue has enriched my knowledge of RV's, trucks & especially keeping safe on the highway. Knowledge is power, if I'm told something and don't pay any attention, at least I've been told. Keep up these spirited diologues as it's good for all of us!!

Well said. While each of us probably thinks that "they are more correct"
(RIGHTER, in some areas of the country), There are many ways to "skin a cat" or if you're a feline lover, Many ways to scale a wall. We may never meet on the highway or in a campground, but if we do, I'd hope the "spirited conversation" from this website could be the focus of a friendship in bloom rather than the cause of an unhappy evening at the campground.

We've got one member who tows a rather large trailer (about the same size at the ones in this post) with a 3/4 ton Excursion. He related recently how his tail started wagging the dog and he ended the ordeal upside down with the trailer destroyed. When he got his replacement trailer, he started searching for a better hitch system to preclude the sway which caused his accident. I don't think any of us really believe we're capable enough to avoid all accident potential, but most of us put that fear of injury behind us as we barrel down the interstate with 7 to 15 tons of "stuff" in close formation. We usually think we're well prepared for whatever may happen and sometimes don't find out we're not until something awful occurs.

Dialogue here, as "spirited" as it may become (to use your words), if it helps prevent a family tragedy, are words worth saying. I welcome the conversations and, like you, no matter how "pointed" the conversation may become, if I learn something beneficial from it, then the outcome is good to digest, even if the message is "bitter to swallow"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
pkemmerlin

I was looking for advice not sarcasm and criticism. I want make the mistake of asking any more questions from this forum!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What you list is the empty weight. I don't know of anyone who hasn't added at least 500 or more pounds in cargo, not to mention propane, battery, hitch, etc.

actually here are the specs from the Keystone website:

Shipping weight 7751
Cargo capacity 2249 That's a total of 10,000 lbs
Hitch 900
Length 35'4"
Height 10'9"

That's a MIGHTY BIG trailer for any 1/2 ton truck regardless of manufacturer.
pkemmerlin wrote, I was looking for advice not sarcasm and criticism. I want make the mistake of asking any more questions from this forum!

pkemmerlin, As a moderator on this forum I am sorry that you feel this way. But I fail to see the sarcasm in any of the follow up posts made by our members. JRTJH went through the trouble of finding the specs for the trailer you had questions about and posted them to answer any questions you had about weights. I am hoping that if you reread these posts you will find that they offer advise from experience and not sarcasm. Hoping you remain an active member, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I was looking for advice not sarcasm and criticism. I want make the mistake of asking any more questions from this forum!
pkemmerlin,

I did NOT intend to be sarcastic toward you and none of my comments were intended to belittle you or cause you any grief. In fact, the comments I made come from 40+ years of RVing when I said that a 10,000 lb trailer is too big for ANY 1/2 ton truck. I speak from experience when I say that. I tow with a 1/2 ton truck, a Ford, and I'd never attempt a bumper pull trailer of that size, even behind a 3/4 ton truck, but would opt for a 1 ton dually with a bumper pull that big. You see, I owned a 34' Holdiay Rambler that had a GVW of 10,000 lbs and I towed it with a 99 Ford Superduty 3/4 ton diesel. That trailer swayed at "whim" and at times uncontrollably above 60MPH. I added a second sway control device, no help, then went to a sway control hitch, still in some conditions, the trailer controlled the truck rather than the other way around. I can say that my 3/4 ton superduty pulled that trailer extremely well under normal conditions, but I'd also tell you that it was no match for a trailer that big when things got out of control. I feel confident to say I would have destroyed the rig and/or injured myself and my family if I'd have been towing with a smaller, lighter truck. Of course, my 1/2 ton truck has more horsepower and nearly as much torque as that 99 superduty and more HP/torque than my 93 F250 deisel. It's not a question of whether today's 1/2 truck has the "guts" to pull a trailer that big down the highway, its simply a question of whether it has the weight/suspension to control it going down the highway. I venture to say that nearly everyone on this forum will tell you that a 10K trailer is too big for a 1/2 ton truck. If you notice, in my signature, I've owned pretty near every type of RV from trailers, campers, pop-ups, fifth wheels, motorhomes, and I've learned something about each of them. When I read comments from members on this forum (and other forums) I try to look past their "phrasing" of a concept and look at what they are trying to convey with the idea they are presenting. I'd urge you to look at what I've tried to convey to you with regard to any 1/2 ton truck and a 5 ton trailer.

I do believe that leemedic, who tows with a 3/4 ton Excursion diesel will verify that when he got into a sway situation with his rig, the trailer controlled the truck and nothing he did could have "saved the situation" His 3/4 weighs much more than your 1/2 ton, but the extra weight was no match for 5 tons of out of control trailer. All the comments presented to you, however you may choose to view them, come from experience at having done what you propose in your quesitons. When we say it's not a good idea, it's not sarcasm, it's advice.

If you think I've been "sarcastic" then I apologize to you, but, if my words, however you receive them, cause you to be more critical with regard to your tow vehicle/RV combination, and that criticality on your part causes you to rethink your decision, then, as jq1031 said, you may have learned something from the "spirited conversation" and that may help protect you and your family from an unnecessary incident on the highway.

I urge you to look past the perception of sarcasm and realize that nobody here intends to belittle you in any way, rather we all, however we might come across, want to answer the questions you present honestly and with our personal experiences as a basis for the views we present to you. We do this in order to help you make the right decisions so you enjoy RV'ing as much as we all enjoy it. Safely, wisely and completley.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS