Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
scronin1

Loss of control - Raptor 30FS

Purchased a new Raptor 30fs in May and am pulling it with a 2011 Chev 2500HD utilizing a Reese Trunion style sway and torsion hitch setup. Empty the trailer pulls fine - 1 Griz 700 weight 648 lbs - Trailer pulls fine - As soon as I add a second quad - small griz 125 weight 335lbs into the Gaurage the trailer has the potential to loose control - this has happened 3 times now and its #$%^ scary. - the gaurage is rated fro 2000lbs but even at 1000lbs ive got major issues. Has anyone outthere had this problem with this trailer - Can anyone help - me wife wont go camping anymore - The dealer helped by giving the trailer a wheel alingment? helped out a bit but didnt resolve the issue - I have also pulled the trailer with a 2011 F350 crew cab - same problem
scronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Idaho Avalanche

Sounds like you need more weight up front. Perhpas you can move some other cargo to shift the weight inside the trailer. Rule of thumb is 40% of cargo weight in front of the trailer axles.
Hope that helps
Idaho Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
scronin1

I agee fully - yet the trailer has no outside storage and is lightly loaded. Based on the enginering of the trailer I should be able to put quads in the gaurage - 1300lbs and the trailer should be balanced and safe to pull?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
Paddler

Hi Scronin1,
Wow, that does sound scary!! First the disclaimer, I don't own a 30FS. Sounds like your problem is as you load the garage, the trailer tongue weight becomes less than 10-15% of the total weight and.... sway happens!!

Some ideas to check:

1) Make sure when hitched up the trailer is level or slightly nose down.

2) Rebalance the trailer. Move any heavy items you carry, to the front of the trailer.

3) Where is the fresh water tank? If it is located aft of the trailer axles empty it. If it is located before the axles, fill it when carrying both ATVs.

4) Check to see where the grey tank is located, if it is before the axles, you might consider partially filling it to add more weight to the front of the trailer, then dump before you set up camp. (assuming the campsite doesn't have sewer hookup)

5) If you are using a friction sway style hitch, get rid of it and purchase an Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam.

Good luck,
Old 08-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
scronin1

Thank you for the reply. In a long conversation with Keystone have come up with the following explination. The garage has a capacity of 2000lb the trailer has a load capacity of 4000lb - If you load your garage with 2000lbs you have to add a certain amount of weight to the front of the trailer to insure its stability on the road

Even though it is a toyhauler and I would have expected the unit was engineered with displaced axels further to the rear to copensate for this I am incorrect. To load the garage without additional weight beeing added in front of the axels causes a unsafe towing condition.

I have been informed by keystone to consult a engineer to determine what weight I have to add to the front of the trailer in order to haul my quads in my toyhauler?? Consulted a engineer as the trailer stands I can only haul 700lbs in the rear before stability is lost. An additional 500lbs is required to be added to the front of the trailer inorder to haul 2000lbs in the garage.

For any individual that expects to purchase a pull style toyhauler and load thier quads be AWARE that unless you have an additional 650lbs added to the front of the trailer you will have a unsafe condition that will cause you to loose control of your unit. Add to this a side wind - This trailer is a accident waiting to happen.

The keystone rep has stated that this is concerning and he will update product support to help in further designs. The fact is that the trailers capacities are correct but its up to the owner not to point load weight in the rear of the toyhauler without adding weight to the front.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Paddler

Hi Scronin1,
I know you are very disappointed but....it is not really a design flaw. It's just physics. Check the location of the fresh water and grey water tanks, if they are ahead of the axle, you can easily add your extra weight in liquid form.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
Outbackmel

Weight distribution

The points regarding filling tanks is right. Also; you can add "stuff" forward that will help. I have friends who have similar set ups; non Keystone; and all have similar issues. My friends haul motorcycles, but, same physics apply.
Try the suggestions above. Believe you will be ok.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #8
scronin1

Good info - according to keystone the black tank is at the front, grey behind that. The fresh water tank s slightly behind the axels? If the fresh was up front or before the axels it would make sense. The fact that the trailer has a 86 gallon fresh - 30gal black and grey leads me to not really wanting to add water to these as they do not have the capacity to handle the fresh water availabile. couple of solutions I am looking into

1 - The possibility of moving the fresh water tank further forward

2 - Adding water balast built for wakeboarding boats locate them under the front bed - though under the bed is boarded and screwed shut I opened it up last night and found plenty more storage space - I can easily access the outside to add a fill and drain point on the outside.

3 - Adding gym weights under the bed.

I agree with the loading aspect but keep in mind this trailer has no storage - no place to put additional items but in the back of the trailer or under the bed in the closed off section.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

If there is storage under your bed load there. Experiment with sand bags directly on tongue or under the bed. Seems drastic but you need more tongue weight.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Shoey

How are you loading the large and small Griz? I'm assuming side by side. Try loading the big grizz first sidways as far towards the front as possible, then load the little griz in the back. Bouncing a 600 lb griz is a pain, but its simple math. Weight x the distance to the axle is taking downward force of the tongue. I doubt it will totally solve your problem, but it will be less weight that you need to add to the tongue.

Also loose up your tortion bars when the quads are in. This will also help put more weight on your rear axle. Although it was a different model, I use to have a tow hauler. Can you put 1 quad in the bed of the truck?
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
Beachnut

I own a Outback 230RS and noticed when I fill the water tank to capacity to go dry camping it is less stable on the road. Since I dry camp for up to 3+ weeks at a time I loaded the front toy hauler with cases of soda and BEER, 3- 2 gallon drinking water jugs, then 4, 6-7 gallon water jugs so as to refill the fresh water tank when it runs low. Let me tell you those 6 and 7 gallon water jugs weigh a whole lot, each! When I add my 2 Honda 2000 gen's in that front toy hauler, + loaded suit cases with enough clothes for 3 weeks, then boxes of firewood also, the trailer rides REAL nice!!! (But the poor Chevy 1500 4x4 sure struggles pulling it over high mtn. passes!)

So you might consider putting some 6 or 7 gallon plastic water jugs up front when you tow, and oh, dont forget a few cases of beer also! It sure beats sand bags, and the large square blue water jugs are only like $10.00 each at Wal-Mart.

Good Luck

Beachnut
Beachnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
scronin1

With help from my local dealer Keystone agreed to add a second 86 gallon fresh water tank to front underside of the frame. This will act as a ballast for the weight in the garage, allowing the user to adjust hitch weight according to load. This is the resolution to the problem. As stated before you purchase a toyhauler you should be able to put 2 quads or the manufacture's suggested weight of 2000lbss in the garage and tow the unit safely and legally. Thank you to Keystone and the dealer who made this happen