Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
pirates55

Drop Hitch

I have a husky brand weight distributing hitch. I have the ball on it adjusted as low as it can possibly go. When I hook to my F-350 the trailer is still about 2 inches to high putting more weight on the rear axle. My question is can you buy a hitch that has more drop on it. I set my trailer level in my driveway and measured the height of what it needs to be and its at 23 inches. My trailer hitch is at 25 inches and the trailer doesn't sit my truck down any at all. My truck has the factory 20 inch wheels from Ford which makes it sit up a little bit higher.

Any advice or if you have had this issue what did you do.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
gepaine

Try New Curt Hitch Shank

I have had this problem twice with two different TT's. Both times I found a solution here:

http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?eve...&categoryid=36

If you find a Curt hitch shank that will work for you, there are many vendors that sell them.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
cumminsdad08

i have the same problem, i have a full size ram 2500, with a small lift. the hitch they gave me is anything but ideal. you can purchase a longer drop hitch and still use your existing ball mounts. i have a reese set up, and i just priced one, for about 85 bucks at a local dealer. a little advice, try to find a dealer in your area, cause they do weigh a bunch, and the little bit you save ordering it online, you will most likely pay for it in shipping. it sounds like you don't really need that much more drop, so yours could be a little bit cheapier.. good luck

Kyle
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
pirates55

Kyle so most any drop hitch will work as long as its rated for to hold the weight? Is this what I'm reading into your note.
pirates55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
gepaine

Drop Hitch Compatibility

I've assumed we are talking about a replacement "hitch shank" (what I think you are referring to as a "drop hitch"). If so, you would remove your WD hitch "head" from your existing shank and reinstall it on your new shank. You need to be sure that your "head" is compatible with the new shank. For example, what is the hole spacing and diameter on your "head", and what is the spacing and diameter on the new shank? Some shanks come with holes spaced 1.5 inches on center and others come spaced 1.25 inches on center. Some use 5/8 diameter holes and some use 1/2 diameter holes. You just need to verify compatibility before purchasing.

FYI: I believe I got one shank from an internet dealer and it came with free shipping. So you don't need to limit yourself to local stores.

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
cumminsdad08

ok well put. i went to a dealer, mainly cause of the above issues with measuring, and also i didn't see any deals on-line i couldn't get at my dealer. when i say dealer, i am talking about a local company that deals with hitch's and pretty much anything that can be hooked to another vehical somehow. i guess my advice is, if you trust yourself with things like this, go for it, but sometimes things are just best left to someone who knows better then you. i specialize in construction, not hitch's. just throwing my experience out there.

also i did order a drop hitch one time, and ended up getting a a 5k one that was pretty much a waste of money, and it would have cost a bunch more to return it and get one shipped back to me.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote