Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
AaronP

New 2017 Ford sits trailer nose high

Hey

I recently got a new Ford and a new 5th wheel.
- 2017 Ford f350
- 2016 Avalanche 39TG

The set up when coupled has the 5er quite nose high. There are no adjustments on the 5th wheel hitch. Glide rite 20K autoslide

I have one more notch that I can raise the King pin but am getting mixed info on how much Ft. Lbs. The bolts need to be tourqued. I read anywhere from 80lbs to 210lbs.

Second question the back hydraulic legs on the 5er are only about 5" off the ground. So even one more notch up on the King pin will maybe have them sitting 6" off the ground. Should I get a different hitch that has further adjustments?

These are all questions I raised to the company before buying the truck to tow my new 5er, to which they said it's no problem to level the 5er out on the new Fords. As I read on some other forums there can be issues leveling out 5ers because the new Ford's sit almost 4" higher than the 2016's. So I'm a little frustrated. As I was going back and forth between a 2016 and 2017 F350. But again, they said it's no problem to level out the 5er on the new fords. To which they tell me now, they can't get it level.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #2
mhbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Hey

I recently got a new Ford and a new 5th wheel.
- 2017 Ford f350
- 2016 Avalanche 39TG

The set up when coupled has the 5er quite nose high. There are no adjustments on the 5th wheel hitch. Glide rite 20K autoslide

I have one more notch that I can raise the King pin but am getting mixed info on how much Ft. Lbs. The bolts need to be tourqued. I read anywhere from 80lbs to 210lbs.

Second question the back hydraulic legs on the 5er are only about 5" off the ground. So even one more notch up on the King pin will maybe have them sitting 6" off the ground. Should I get a different hitch that has further adjustments?

These are all questions I raised to the company before buying the truck to tow my new 5er, to which they said it's no problem to level the 5er out on the new Fords. As I read on some other forums there can be issues leveling out 5ers because the new Ford's sit almost 4" higher than the 2016's. So I'm a little frustrated. As I was going back and forth between a 2016 and 2017 F350. But again, they said it's no problem to level out the 5er on the new fords. To which they tell me now, they can't get it level.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Has the Axles on the trailer been flipped? If not that would gain you a couple of inches. What about spacers on the 5er spring. Most trailers can be raised so that they are level when hitched. Depending on how much space between the fiver and the rails of the truck a hitch may not do it if you lower the hitch and the 5er hits the rails. a combination of hitch, pin box, and raising the trailer should get you level.
I have had to do it on a couple of 5er's.
Mel
Old 03-04-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Owl

Yep, probably going to have to look at the trailer axles
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #4
mikz86ta

As far as the pin box torque specs. Just use your torque wrench to take them off and start at 80. Gradually step it up until it breaks a bolt loose. Take note of that ft/lb setting. Then start there on the next. And see if it's true to the same ft/lb.
That should tell you what they were originally spec'd at on torque
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:31 AM   #5
Tinner12002

Make sure if you change the pin box to let it sit on your hitch before you torque it down because there will be a slight amount of slop in the bolts, sitting on your hitch will take it out. After you change that then measure your RV for a front to back elevation difference to determine if it still needs raised. If its only a couple inches difference then I personally wouldn't mess with it any further.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Sulphur1

Had the same when we went from a 2000 Chev dually to a 2011 Chev.
Added aluminium blocks to level the 5er. It seems to travel a lot better & also better for the slideout operation - downside it's a big step up or need to change to a 4 step.
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford