Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #21
{tpc}

The way the street is configured I can come in either way. Of course the way I am used to from the old place leaves the hydrant on the blind spot. If I come in the other way, its the neighbors pine tree. The street is wide enough that I should be able to get a decent angle on it, but its not the slowest of streets. Can't park in front of the house because no parking, unless i go on the opposite side of the street.

I've found for me, that its best of the wife just tells me to stop if I am about to hit something. The rest of it, move this way or that way, too close to this or that....I already know, well because I can see lol. I know she is trying to help but I'm already working through the steps in my mind, and yelling to me for this or that just confuses those steps. Its took awhile but I think she understands it now.

Just let me know if I am about to hit something! lol.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #22
canesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
The way the street is configured I can come in either way. Of course the way I am used to from the old place leaves the hydrant on the blind spot. If I come in the other way, its the neighbors pine tree. The street is wide enough that I should be able to get a decent angle on it, but its not the slowest of streets. Can't park in front of the house because no parking, unless i go on the opposite side of the street.

I've found for me, that its best of the wife just tells me to stop if I am about to hit something. The rest of it, move this way or that way, too close to this or that....I already know, well because I can see lol. I know she is trying to help but I'm already working through the steps in my mind, and yelling to me for this or that just confuses those steps. Its took awhile but I think she understands it now.

Just let me know if I am about to hit something! lol.
Lol, me too. I'm more often by myself than not, so I don't have to worry too much about that anymore, but when she used to try to help I'd tell her the same thing. And if people insist on trying to help I'll ask them the same thing, unless I really need something and then I'll ask.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Sometimes certain things do take a village. Can't believe I said that. This won't go public, will it?
Problem is, with my luck, I get the village idiot.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #24
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
Oh yea, I can id with the video, learned to tow and backup last summer. Now I figuring that I will have to relearn some of the aspects since 8/9 months will have passed by the last time I backed up. My driveway is the worst for me so far, almost a 90 degree and uphill to boot. But ready to go go go.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
66joej

One of my first jobs as a young man was driving 18 wheelers. Back in the day (1960s) the way we learned to back up was to watch the trailer wheels not the trailer and don't try to be a hero and back up too fast.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:24 PM   #26
the sodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
One of my first jobs as a young man was driving 18 wheelers. Back in the day (1960s) the way we learned to back up was to watch the trailer wheels not the trailer and don't try to be a hero and back up too fast.
Very true. This is how I learned as well. Speed kills.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:25 AM   #27
rhagfo

Yes, the horses laughing in that video was great, but one of the first was even better!!!

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #28
Frank G

The Ideal Spotter

When I see a rig pull in and is about to back into a spot I will approach them and have a little conversation to assess the situation and the drivers skill level, then ASK if they would like assistance. Calm nerves takes the pressure off and everything goes better. At this point I will enlist the help of my DW as his spotter. After 45 years of spotting for me she is the best! She knows where to stand to always be visible in the drivers mirrors and hand signals that are understandable.

BTW The DW is a much better driver than I, especially in tight situations "how did you do that"
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:01 PM   #29
Todd727

I saw that VW ad a year or two ago. Make sure you click on the "See how we did it" link. Funny ad, but slightly deceptive.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #30
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post
I saw that VW ad a year or two ago. Make sure you click on the "See how we did it" link. Funny ad, but slightly deceptive.
You mean horses don't laugh and guys can back trailers? What a let down.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #31
xrated

Years and years ago, a fellow I worked with (he drove a semi inside a plant that we worked in and had some very tight dock access areas), gave me a little tip on backing up trailers. He told me to "reference" the bottom of the steering wheel while looking in the mirrors for backing. He stated: Imagine the bottom of the steering wheel (the part closest to your lap) and imagine that there is an arrow on it, point left and pointing right. When you are backing up and looking in the mirrors, and you see that the trailer needs to go further left, move the steering wheel in the direction that causes the bottom of the steering wheel to go to the left (driver's side of course). That will make the trailer go left. And of course the opposite if you are trying to make the trailer go right.....turn the wheel so that the bottom of it is moving to the right.

After many years of backing trailers.....late 60's early 70's, that motor skill to make the trailer go where I want it to go is instinctual, but when first learning, it can be a very valuable tool for getting it correct.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #32
Todd727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
You mean horses don't laugh and guys can back trailers? What a let down.
Not that ad. der...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #33
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Years and years ago, a fellow I worked with (he drove a semi inside a plant that we worked in and had some very tight dock access areas), gave me a little tip on backing up trailers. He told me to "reference" the bottom of the steering wheel while looking in the mirrors for backing. He stated: Imagine the bottom of the steering wheel (the part closest to your lap) and imagine that there is an arrow on it, point left and pointing right. When you are backing up and looking in the mirrors, and you see that the trailer needs to go further left, move the steering wheel in the direction that causes the bottom of the steering wheel to go to the left (driver's side of course). That will make the trailer go left. And of course the opposite if you are trying to make the trailer go right.....turn the wheel so that the bottom of it is moving to the right.

After many years of backing trailers.....late 60's early 70's, that motor skill to make the trailer go where I want it to go is instinctual, but when first learning, it can be a very valuable tool for getting it correct.
X2!!

I found that same concept in SAIL magazine when we had a 20' sail boat. We pulled it with a slightly modified 1964 Ford Econoline van!
The slight modification was a 302 V8, backed by a C4 automatic!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #34
Bob Landry

I've backed my Outback 277 into a service stall with 6" on each side. No big deal after you've done it a few years.. LOL

But I back a boat trailer 3-4 times a week also and that helps.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #35
smokeater05

That's hilarious!
smokeater05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #36
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post

X3 Actually all you need to do is put your hand on the bottom of the wheel, and you move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to move. Still tight spots and not so much visibility can be a challenge.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote