Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
first time 5er

Pros and cons

We are thinking of buying a piece for property to put our fifth wheel on.
I like the though of peace and quiet and the challenge of living somewhere without all the modern conveniences
The DW would like to buy a site in a park for the opposite reasons
We're am looking in the smokey mountains area
all opinions welcome

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

If momma aint happy you will never be happy. Why not buy a large lot in a park in the mountains?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
GaryWT

I agree, keep her happy. For me, I want to be someplace with some action and feel I would be bored in the middle of nowhere. I want pools, activities, maybe a boat, maybe a golf cart etc.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
papi

I have a seasonal site at a local campground for a year. There are lots of activities to do but for the most part it is the same over and over every single weekend. Same lake, same swimming pool, same mini golf, same DJ to the point that my kids are not interesting in going anymore. I can only imagine how bored you are going to get after a few days on a place with nothing to do. I will rather stay at a campground even if it is the same every weekend. At least you can sit down and entertained your self looking at all the people trying to park and set up their campers LOL!!! Good luck
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:46 PM   #5
first time 5er

The DW would be happy either way.
I was just wondering for our retirement whether it would be more cost effective to buy than to rent a site seasonally?
we both enjoy putting around the house or out riding the bike.
I wouldn't mind building my own little paradise some where out of the way.
If i do buy, are there certain things to look for legally?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #6
gearhead

Generally I would be very careful buying into a heavily advertised land sale in a large development. They are pretty good with their emotional hooks.
I think I would find an area I liked and then watch that local media (web sites, newspapers) for small tracts for sale. Maybe talk to a couple local real estate agents. Go slow.
Legally, ask a local attorney.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

I would never buy a seasonal site for many reasons. The top ones are I do not think it cost effective and what happens when you decide you want a change for a season? What happens when you want a permanent change of scenery? Your camper has wheels, and most likely you will want to see them turning at some point. If I was looking for a place to purchase it would be a manufactured home, condo, or stick built home ~~ but that is the real estate broker in me talking~~ something with a much better chance of appreciation and easier to sell.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:40 PM   #8
drdarrin

How about an RV Co-op?

We "own" a membership in an RV Co-op in Quartzsite AZ and just looked at another in Oregon. The cost of joining the Co-op was minimal in Quartzsite and the annual dues are less than $1000 for water, sewer, cable, a 60x80 foot lot and 30 amp hookups (we pay for the actual electricity used separately).

I've no doubt they exist on the east coast as well. It may not be for you but it might be worth a look.
drdarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:44 AM   #9
hdxbonez

Several years ago, the wife and I bought a few acres in the New Hampshire White Mountains that borders the National Forest. The property had a driveway and septic. We spent about 30 weekends a year there, first in the travel trailer we already had, and then in the fiver that we upgraded to.We ran a generator and hauled water initially, and have since installed electric and internet, and recently drilled a well. Recently, a position in the company I work for became available up here, and I was able to transfer from our home in CT. I've been full timing since mid summer, and will continue to for the next year or so, until we sell the house in CT and build a new one here.

After spending so much time on my own private campsite, I can say that I dont miss campgrounds or RV parks at all. No one elses kids, no one elses generator, no one elses golf carts or quads, no one elses music, no one elses pets, no loud drunken neighbors, no one elses late night campfires,......

There is always something to do, fix, build, cut, split, dig, wash, paint, clean, etc., so boredom is rarely an issue. Our dogs have plenty of room, and we see deer, bear, moose, turkey, bobcat all the time. I can walk out the door and have access to 800,000 acres of National Forest to hunt, fish, canoe, hike, etc. For us, it's far better than any park we've ever stayed at.
Old 10-03-2016, 07:57 AM   #10
Lic0rice

Where in the Smokey Mountains are you looking? We rented an old rv site on our property to a couple from Kissimmee about about 4 years ago. They stayed here full time for one year then headed out west, but I think they still have a home in Kissimmee.
B&W Turnoverball + B&W Companion Hitch
1998 Key West 1720
Lic0rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #11
first time 5er

Thanks for all the views. I have the same vision as hdxbonez and still have the option of taking "my home" anywhere i want and when i want.
Pretty much looking for a home base on the "quiet side"
we Live in kissimmee and it is getting more crowded everyday. We were looking for some peace and quiet.
If we want excitement we can always go to it instead of put up with it