Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
ROLIN JOSEPH

Coat hangers

Have any of you seasoned RV folks ever found a solution to keeping coat hangers and clothing from bouncing off of the rods?
In our Cougar 21RBS, we have a very spacious and deep closet that holds tons of hanging clothing but it is on the rearmost area of the trailer.
This is the 'springboard' end of the trailer and we find it very hard to keep hangers from falling off during travel.
Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

2007 Chevy Classic 2500HD D/A
2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
ROLIN JOSEPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
TLB

Roads must be rough your way

Anybody have some great ideas?

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're using wire hangers, just squeeze the curled part closer together, if you're using plastic hangers, get a spring tension curtain rod and install it above the hangers so they can't bounce off the existing rod.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
ROLIN JOSEPH

John...you are a genius!
Thanks.

2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 03-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Joe & Bev -
They actually make specially designed coat hangers for RV's! They are called "Stay Put Coat Hangers" that have some sort of fastener incorporated into the curled upper part.

So, rather than following John's almost "free" suggestions, you can Google these things, order them online and pay quite a bit more for them.

And with our Canadian dollar being what it is today, I'm kinda thinking you'll be following our resident genius' advice.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
ROLIN JOSEPH

Festus2,
OK...you're almost a genius too.
there there

2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 03-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #7
fla-gypsy

I have never had one bounce off, ever. Something does not seem right with that.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
I have never had one bounce off, ever. Something does not seem right with that.
X2, but think OP stated clothes are hung way in rear, where as most of our stuff hung in front. But do have stuff in garage that seems to stay in same place

Or maybe have not experienced the condition of OP roads yet
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #9
outwest

I've had that problem. Closet is on the rear end of trailer and they all bounced off. First part of first trip, they bounced off. Put them back on, this time though put them on backwards (hook the hanger from the back) because read online (i think here?) that doing so helps to prevent them coming off, and continued trip. When got to destination, they stayed on the rod this time, and instead of coming off they pulled the entire clothes rod down, destroying the closet shelf in the process.

What the problem was (besides the rear bouncing and tossing things around) was the rod was attached to the underside of the shelf and the underside of the shelf was attached to the wall and upper part of the shelf by means of staples that were stapled from the underside. Hmm... staples that are installed point-side up, holding up the bottom of a shelf. Surely they'll hold and not get affected by that nonsensical thing they call gravity.

Got it all fixed under warranty and they reinforced the system (dealer used screws and put in more bracing). Now using the Tri-Lynx Stay-Put hangers. The only thing about them is that you can't use them in house if house closet has the more traditional, larger diameter, clothes rod. If you do, they'll stretch out and wont work any more in the RV.

There's used to be another version of RV hangers that has a latch that flips up to close the opening on the rod hook section. I don't remember who made them and I haven't seen them for sale online in awhile. They might still make them, dunno. The plus to them was that they could be used on the larger rod in house without stretching out.

All that being said, there's the other options that were already mentioned, or try hanging the hangers backwards, with the hook facing toward you.

I hope your clothes rod is installed better than mine was.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #10
Murphsmom

We bought some of those Stay Put hangers right after we bought the new TT last spring. Got them at CW. I have to say that I LOVE them. The closet in the Cougar 25RLS is in the middle of the trailer, and the one in the old trailer was at the back. Coats were always on the floor of the closet in the old TT. We still had things fall off in the new trailer until we got those hangers. They are a tight snap onto the bar, so they don't have a chance to jump off. You do still have to remember to button up whatever is hanging on them, though. They are also a lot tougher than wire hangers.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Our fifth wheel has all the closets in the front, so there's no problem with clothes falling off the hangers or the hangers falling off the rod. In our Holiday Rambler we had about 8' of closet (actually 3 separate closets) over the axle across from the bathroom and two shirt closets on the back wall on either side of the bed. We never had "clothes on the floor" syndrome with the center closets, but the two rear shirt closets were more like a "tumble dryer" than a closet. Anything (and I do mean ANYTHING) hung in there was guaranteed to be shaken off the hanger or the hanger shaken off the rod. We finally resorted to just using them for folding clothes and even then, the clothes would be "unfolded and turned upside down" after a lengthy tow.

Using the "lock on hangers" is a great way to keep the hangers on the rod, but unless you're really into "buttoning and clamping", the clothes will still work their way off the rod. Pants folded across the bar on the hanger seem to really enjoy slipping down to "rest their weary legs" on the floor of the closet.

We even tried using two spring tension rods, one on each side of the clothes bar to keep the hangers from swinging. Yup, everything was still on the floor after a couple hundred miles. We finally just used them for sweaters and sweats, anything bulky that was easy to refold once we opened the "tumbler door" LOL

Closets on the rear wall seem to be particularly hard to keep "tidy" when travelling.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
sbmarks3

I have used a motorcycle tie down strap in the past, which worked well. Just hook one end on the left side, span the back side of the hanger hooks, then attach the other end to the right side. Snug up and you're done. It helps prevent them from lifting and if they do lift the come back down on to the rod.
I like the curtain rod idea too.

2012 F-350 Super Duty King Ranch 6.7 diesel
B&W Roll Over Hitch
2009 Fuzion 403 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1969 Harley Electraglide (Mine)
2005 Harley Lowrider (The Wife's)
sbmarks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
ROLIN JOSEPH

Well, thank you all for your ideas.
I like yours too 'sbmarks3'.
Another possible solution my DW just came up with is a beach noodle (styrene) cut to size and stuffed in between the top of the hangers and the underside of the shelf.
Thanks.

2013 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Like that, will have to put in my notes " tumble Dry" hang in garage
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLIN JOSEPH View Post
Well, thank you all for your ideas.
I like yours too 'sbmarks3'.
Another possible solution my DW just came up with is a beach noodle (styrene) cut to size and stuffed in between the top of the hangers and the underside of the shelf.
Thanks.
her to the "genius" club

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #16
GaryWT

I hope these ideas work for you. I do not travel with hangers. Since I am camping I do not bring anything that needs to be hung. My folded clothes go into the cabinets next to and above my bed. Works out great.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
koko

Beach noodle - awesome idea for an annoying problem that we also experience in our rear closet. If that doesn't work, we'll try the tension rod.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
Ram189

I had this problem in my old TT all the time with the bedroom closets.

I got the spring loaded clothes rods that you can use in cars ect. We would put those across the top of the regular rod to hold the hangers in place.

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #19
Western Traveler

Either I haven't had that problem with hangers in that closet yet or been too busy picking up the stuff that falls off the shelf above to notice. Spring tension rod is on the list for the shelf. I would like to keep my boots and shoes up there for an entire trip someday...

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:37 AM   #20
Blackbears

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Joe & Bev -
They actually make specially designed coat hangers for RV's! They are called "Stay Put Coat Hangers" that have some sort of fastener incorporated into the curled upper part.

So, rather than following John's almost "free" suggestions, you can Google these things, order them online and pay quite a bit more for them.

And with our Canadian dollar being what it is today, I'm kinda thinking you'll be following our resident genius' advice.
When they reinvent the wheel, why is it always more expensive?
Blackbears is offline   Reply With Quote