Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 AM   #21
racin500

OK, so I called AAA to get the scoop on their "Exclusions". As I stated above, I have both AAA RV-Plus and GS basic. I have been with AAA since 1975 and have always had good auto service so I don't want to pull the plug without good reason. This is what I got on the phone this morning from AAA;

1. AAA RV is run by the corporate office and not one of the 50+ local AAA's.
2. All pickups up to and including 1-ton are covered, including dually 4x4's for towing, tire changes...(sorry all you 450/550 or tow rigs, you're not covered).
3. 5th wheel trailers are covered and with RV, 2 trucks are dispatched for towing.
4. Nationwide coverage does NOT mean your covered in every location BUT the AAA rep is supposed to get another tow and you may need to pay and get AAA to reimburse the cost later.
5. AAA is limited to 4 calls per year. You can call more BUT you pay the cost.
6. Because an area has AAA service does not mean they have RV service.
7. Each state can have more exclusions of their own. The rep was from CA and they have problems with the definition of COMMERCIAL vs NON-COMM. and the RV tow company contracts. IE: commercial is not covered by AAA RV. This not only affects towing, but roadside assistance, tire changes etc. So, it's possible to be covered in one state and not another, BUT, the AAA rep should get you assistance, even if it means contacting a commercial service if you want them to.

The rep was great and if she didn't have an answer, she got someone who could. They also made a note in my AAA RV file that my truck and 5th wheel were to be covered for tow/assistance by the tow company. I have a 07 Chevy 3500, CC, LB, dually, 4x4 which puts me at almost 23' in length. Having the information on file will insure that the CORRECT type of tow company is sent. It' might not be the closest but your 5'er wont be left on the side of the road.

Also, a plus for me, my "non-dependent" kids can be covered by my AAA policy for a few extra bucks. And with PLUS, their even covered in someone else's vehicle as a passenger. Peace of Mind!
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #22
64tbolt

I have the AAA Plus-RV and the things you stated is why I have been a member for 16 yrs. Don't want to leave my Toy hauler behind. And with a long bed CC dually they will get the job done. If you need more than 4 tows a year you are not doing your part in maintaining & prep for a trip.
64tbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #23
socalhd

AAA left me high and stranded in Kayenta AZ in 2009. We payed the extra fees for RV and Motocycle. This should have given us 100 miles of towing but because we were in AZ and the contract tow company Chief Towing was an *** we were stuck. Ended up paying a Tow Company out of pocket, cuz Chief Towing could not handle the rig.
We now have GoodSam for road service

2007 F350 Dually
2014 Fuzion FZ342
2015 Harley CVO Limited
socalhd is offline   Reply With Quote