Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
EricAnderson

Bike Rack on Tube Bumper

Hi all,

I have a Passport 238ml and wanted to know if anyone has attached this hitch adapter to their bumper. I would be attaching 4 bikes to it. I have heard that some people have had their bumpers bent down.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/17221
EricAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
zuley

I believe the consensus will be without major reinforcement of the bumper you will want to stay clear of adding any weight to the rear bumper as they are designed to be non weight bearing. I certainly would not recommend doing so.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Dave45039

X2. I would be willing to bet you wouldn't get far at all with 4 bikes back there.

Dave & Janet

2013 Cougar 333MKS
2013 GMC 2500HD 6.0L / 4.10
[/LIST]
Dave45039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Robby9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave45039 View Post
X2. I would be willing to bet you wouldn't get far at all with 4 bikes back there.

My brother in law made it about 30 miles before his bumper pulled loose.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

x4 Have the hitch bolted or welded to the frame. The bumper is not designed to take the weight of 4 bikes and the resulting stress of the them bouncing up and down. A bumper mounted hitch is unsafe and especially dangerous for those following behind you.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
RGene7001

I have it. Put 2 adult bikes, 1 kid bike. Went 2800 miles do far. No problems. It can carry 100 lb. Don't go over it

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Little Guy

I went to my welder and had it done right by adding cross bracing to the frame and then welded the receiver to the bracing. I wouldn't trust the spare tire mount on these light weight bumpers no less a bike rack with all that bouncing.
You may want to use the "search" feature as this issue has been addressed previously.
2012 Laredo 294RK TT "Larry"
'09 Chevy 2500HD Crewcab, 6.0L vortec (gas)
*Wishin' for a diesel*
Equal-I-Zer sway control hitch

Life is good!
Little Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Outbackmel

Talking listen and act wisely

I have been x US and many short 700 mile round trips. Took the spare and tire rack off and carry the spare tire in the truck bed.
Have 3 bikes. One is on a ladder mount rack. 2 are on a high quality bike hitch that has adjustable hoops for each wheel. I use ratchet style ties to minimize road bounce and stress. I would NOT consider added weight of any sort on that bumper. Remember the more it extends the less weight is back towards the rv and more bounce and stress will occur. Makes sense to have a welder reinforce your bumper with frame braces.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
RGene7001

My Passport came from factory with both spare tire and grill mount attached to the bumper. RV manufacturers take product liability issues seriously, so the whole trailer is covered with warning stickers, but there is nothing about bumper unable to carry any weights.I am taking the trailer to the dealer next week to fix the issues accumulated during this summer and will find out for sure, will let you know.

Gene.

'13 Passport 2650 BH- traded in
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
My Passport came from factory with both spare tire and grill mount attached to the bumper. RV manufacturers take product liability issues seriously, so the whole trailer is covered with warning stickers, but there is nothing about bumper unable to carry any weights..
This is true but Keystone's warranty excludes any "damage or loss caused in whole or in part by the unauthorized attachments, modifications or alterations to the structure, body, pin box, or frame of the RV including but not limited to trailer hitches for towing or platforms for supporting cargo".

To me this means that if you attach something to the bumper without getting prior authorization from Keystone you would be out to lunch if the bumper should break and your bikes damaged during one year warranty period. That is why many folks wait until the first year has passed before doing any modifications to the frame and/or bumper.

If you check back into the threads about bikes and bumpers I'm sure you will have noticed photos of bumpers that have failed for a variety of reasons the main one being they are constructed of metal that is far too thin.

If you want to add 3 bikes to the bumper which already has a spare tire and a BBQ grill mount attached, that is your choice. I just don't think it is a wise decision and one that has the potential to cause a serious accident for those following you down the highway. Your dealer, I am guessing, will probably say it's fine - "no problem - hasn't been an issue."

So far.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #11
jsmith948

At the risk of piling on - on our return trip from Yellowstone we were southbound on I-5. Passed by a TT parked on the NB shoulder. Two bikes lying horizontal on the road with the spare wheel on top of them - still attached to the bumper! The previous posts have given you good advice - hope you accept it - and good luck!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
BobnLee

Back bumpers

I received a recall notice on my 26SAB stated there were bumpers falling off. I checked mine and sure enough the top welds were cracked. The welder around the corner from me used to work for Prowler before it closed and went to Indiana. He stated the bumper was so thin that even bracing wouldnt do much. He installed a new bumper made from 1/4 inch square tubing welded on two 6 inch muffler clamps on the frame so I could install PVC pipe for the sewer pipe and painted it for $140. total. i figure it would have cost 80.00 in fuel to make two trips to the dealer to have them re weld the thin bumper. I now have a bumper that I can hang bike racks or a generator on without the fear of losing it. I think money well spent. PS I dont need to screw my end caps to the bumper any more.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote