Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Which style of dinner seating do you prefer
banquet w/bench seating 7 15.22%
table and chairs 19 41.30%
u-shaped dinette 17 36.96%
don't care 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
CCC

Passport dinette "upgrade"

I am so, so, so glad we bought the 2013 version of the Passport 28BH a few weeks ago. It has the table and chairs. Now I'm seeing photos of the 2014 version recently out, and Keystone replaced the table with a dinette w/booth seating.

If I were still looking, I'd be scouring the web for a 2013 model rather than the new one. I wonder how many people see a newer year model of their camper with a "feature" they think is a downgrade from a previous year model. That has to be rare.

So, it must just be me. Everyone else out there must really like the u-shaped or banquet style dining as opposed to the table/chairs --at least, I'm assuming. Keystone must have done their own research to determine the bench seating was the more popular option. So, for Science! (tm), if you don't mind, take the poll and let me know your preference, and why.

For me, the table/chairs is better because we can move the chairs around if we need more seating (to face the sofa), and can even remove one chair for more elbow room if we want (there is just the three of us and I can pull a chair around to sit at the end of the table). I also like the look of it better. And there's no "ooching" around the bench seat to get to your spot. Just walk up and sit down.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
f6bits

I have the U booth and feel that I'd get more table space with either of the two other styles, and not give up seating capacity. What the benches get me is storage, which is important to me.

Table is more homey, but lacks some of the function I need.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It seems the "grass is always greener" with dining table selection. We've had all types over the years and have found that if we don't need the extra sleeping accommodations, a free standing table and chairs gives more options. You can take it out and leave it at home, or take it out to use under the awning, etc. But, you lose sleeping for one or two. The "aisle" type dinette gives space for 4 to eat, but playing cards or board games can get "dicey" with kids who like to "peek". The U shaped dinette is what we have now and find it's easier to just move the table to get into the back rather than "pack a lunch" to scoot all the way around LOL

In the end, whatever you have will leave you wishing for something else in some situations and at the same time, you'll be thankful you don't have something else at times too.

Our "new one" will have a free standing table and chairs as we don't need the sleeping space and it fits our RV use better. But that's just how we use our RV, others will definitely have different needs and find another style dinette to be more functional for them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
campingcpl

We currently have a booth dinette but we prefer the table and chairs. Even though our booth offers some extra storage, only one side is really all that usable with a pull out drawer. The other side is accessable by lifting up the cushion. I have considered adding a baggage door for outdoor access to that bench but the mod would be a little on the intesive side. I wouldn't only have to cut out the side wall of the slide but would also have to alter the frame work for the dinette window.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
suza

Table and chairs for me

When we purchased our new Cougar 279RKS, we had a choice of the U-dinette or the table and chairs. I thought I wanted the dinette, with the free-standing, adjustable table, additional sleeping space, and under-bench storage. When I took my husband for the final decision, he preferred the table and chairs. Once I tried the dinette, I knew I wanted the table and chairs. The legs on the free-standing dinette table made it nearly impossible to slide around to the back of the "U" bench and there was really only room to fit 3 adults comfortably. Thought the extra sleeping space would be good for the grandkids (we have 11), but its ususally just the two of us camping and the bigger kids like to sleep out in tents anyway. Moving the table out of the way to get into the booth would be too bothersome, especially if the table was loaded with food and someone wanted to get out. It would be nice to use the dinette table with the sofa or outside, but we have a small, adjustable portable table for that purpose.

Ditto on being able to use the chairs in the "living room". I like my table and chairs and would chose that option again.
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
GaryWT

We had had the table and chairs in the past and they were nice but we have the drawers under the benches now that were a big selling piece. Also our table is wider and can be brought outside so we are good with what we have. Don't think we will need it for sleeping but you never know.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #7
E597283

with 4 kids the U-shape gives me more setting and as mentioned added storage.

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Kristi

I like the u shaped dinette, we add a small folding chair when we are eating or playing cards and move the table out of the way & use it as another couch the rest of the time.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
suza

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
I like the u shaped dinette, we add a small folding chair when we are eating or playing cards and move the table out of the way & use it as another couch the rest of the time.
Moving out the table and using the dinette benches as another couch is a good idea. I didn't think of that
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by suza View Post
Moving out the table and using the dinette benches as another couch is a good idea. I didn't think of that
Our table & poles slide right under the couch & out of the way, yours may be a bit bigger though.

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
CCC

I should have had an "other" option in my poll! I just saw Tikitim's mods page showing a bench seat on one side of the table, and two freestanding chairs on the other side.
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8651

That seems to be a "best of both worlds" for storage, seating options, and available table space per person.

Tags
passport elite 28bh