Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
Paramenace

How do you keep track?

I remember camping as a kid. My Dad had an old Levi’s jacket, that he (Mom) would sew patches on from the campgrounds we had been to. I’m thinking of starting that myself.
Do you track where you’ve been and if so, how?
Paramenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
GaryWT

Between the planning the brochures etc I can just remember most of the trips we have taken over 25 years and if I forget then once I see a brochure then I remember. I am sure I hove forgotten one or 2 though. My wife from time to time will keep a journal of our trips, last year she started scrape booking the trips.

So I can remember the camping trips because I am so into them but there are plenty of others things that I cannot remember if my life depended on it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
x96mnn

We have a journal. The old fashion write in it kind where over breakfast on the morning we depart my wife makes an entry. The entry includes the date and place we stayed along with anyone who came with us, we met who made a positive impression to be so lucky to be included and what we did. We have fun with it and the idea came from her parents, or tradition sounds like something worth while to keep going as well.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
crash

We too have the old fashion journal we write in. We write fuel stops and the best places to eat and let the dogs out (there and back)What we liked about the campground and area and what we liked or disliked about the site and what site we liked the best and would try to get next time, plus the people we meet to keep in touch with
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
davidjsimons

I keep my information in my iPad journal along with a photo album from each trip. I record mileage to help me keep track of maintenance schedules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
f6bits

Spreadsheet. Each entry has the location, arrival date, and departure date. Then it calculates the number of nights. Each year has its own total for # of trips and # of nights.
At the top is the grand total for # of trips and # of nights.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
Jim W

I have three spread sheets my wife claims I have too much time on my hands, retired.

One spread sheet is for fuel mileage on the truck for each year of ownership this also list all maintenance cost and attachments to the truck for a total cost of ownership. (Don’t let her see it) The trips when pulling the 5er really show a loss of fuel mileage VS normal driving.

Another spreadsheet is for the trailer that tracks maintenance cost and attachments plus the original purchase price, got to have records.

The last spread sheet covers each place where we visited plus the cost of the camp site, number of nights, along with fuel cost, food cost and expenditures for the trip. I use this information to budget for the next year trips for camping.

My wife keeps a journal with photos on each place we visit in a journal book. But this does not list cost or miles driven she just wants to allow friends to read about the places we visited, if they asked.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

The DW and i do it with magnets! we put them on the range hood and also have a metal sign in a frame that we put the magnets on.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

We don't keep track of where we've been (other than memory and an old vinyl map of the 50 states that I'm still trying to find a replacement for). There's a campground about a mile from our house that we stayed at several times, It's on a nice lake and occasionally we'll drag the RV there to spend the night while fishing, just to get away from the house. Every once in a while as we drive past (almost a daily occurrance) I'll turn to my DW and say, "We ought to camp here one time." She just shakes her head and smiles.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
chris199

Started a website last year. Post just about every trip there with pics. For more "vacation" trips .....not weekend getaways....I tend to put more of a story of what we did...where we went, etc.

http://www.funinourrv.com/ourtrips

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
mikell

Spread sheet that even includes the weather. Nearly all our trips can be deducted for the park or railroad. The tax lady loves spreadsheets so we love them
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
cathcartww

I am in the habit of keeping a log book for every vehicle and toy we have - mostly for maintenance record-keeping, but the one for the trailer also gets descriptions of each campsite and other notations about that particular trip. Each trips mileage also gets recorded and totalized, and any modifications or maintenance gets noted.

Fuel usage and mileage information from the car and truck logs gets put into a spreadsheet so we can track mpg, etc., but so far haven't felt like it was necessary to anything more with the trailer log. We also take a lot of pictures, and they get organized on a hard disc.

DW loves magnets, and we have a ton of them - both in the trailer and at home. In fact, when we remodeled the kitchen a few years ago, we installed a white enameled steel back splash between the counter and the cabinets which she has filled with her magnet collection.

She is talking about putting stickers on the side of the bedroom slide that faces the front of the trailer, but hasn't got around to that yet.

All that, and I still can't remember anything .....

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Paramenace

Wow… Who knew campers were so high tech and organized?
Paramenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #14
michol02

Same as SAABDOCTOR. Frig magnets, and I think I need a bigger range hood, or a metal frig door!!!

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
campingcpl

We keep a journal of our trips (where we stayed, discription of sight, things we did and seen, etc.) using Microsoft One Note. You can insert web pages, links, pictures, etc. into it. You can even create a section that will track gas mileage, expenses, etc..

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote