Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
rnkburg

Norcold fridge problems

Ok I have been searching the forums on here via the phone and everyone talks about fridge issues bit no one really mentions norcold fridge. Mine seems to be working poorly. Switched to propane last night to see if it helped, don't think so. Have it on the coldest setting. Yes its full, this is our second trip out.

I don't have a temp gauge, so can only go by feel. It's just not right.

Yes its very hot and humid outside and the one air conditioner is struggling in here. It's a Raptor 300mp 36ft fifth wheel.

Any help would be great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
Ok I have been searching the forums on here via the phone and everyone talks about fridge issues bit no one really mentions norcold fridge. Mine seems to be working poorly. Switched to propane last night to see if it helped, don't think so. Have it on the coldest setting. Yes its full, this is our second trip out.

I don't have a temp gauge, so can only go by feel. It's just not right.

Yes its very hot and humid outside and the one air conditioner is struggling in here. It's a Raptor 300mp 36ft fifth wheel.

Any help would be great.

rnkburg -

Did you turn the fridge on for a couple of days before you left? Were all the items you placed in the fridge already cold and the items you placed in the freezer already frozen?

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
azlee56

We have a norcold as well and this is kind of strange working unit. On propane the thing is amazing but if plugged into 30 amp or right into my house, the fridge isn't cold enough, it hangs about 50 degrees. When we went to Tombstone we were plugged into 50 amp and I noticed the fridge was working fine and I sat down bewildered and brought up the conversation.

I said what gives, it is fine with 50 amp, on 30 amp we turned it back to propane. At home plugged into the side of house, no way will it keep cold enough. I still don't have the answer, but it is strange!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
rnkburg

Yes, it was turned on before we left. In fact it was on from the last camping trip a couple of weeks prior. I keep it plugged in at the house, there is nothing else on in the camper but the inverter if necessary, and the fridge.

The fridge was full, and we turned up to 5. It even let some stuff in the bottom drawer go bad. My parents have two fridge's in there unit, and they never have this issue.

I have an appt at the dealer this week, it's on the list to get checked out. Oh and by the way, it did get colder when we took the sirloin tip out (yes the whole tip) could we have just had it too full, if so that is not good.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
rnkburg

Of course at the dealer with nothing in it, it worked like a charm

Old 08-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
azlee56

Don't feel bad, I am still trying to figure out what is with ours. I am still betting it has to do in what you are plugged into, but that doesn't make sense to me. Like I said when plugged into 50 amp it is a champ, but not into plugged into the side of my house on a regular plug in or plugged into a 30 amp. I am making notes when it does what and someday the light bulb will come on with why it is doing it!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
mikell

I know we just got a recall notice to post at our place for fridges but I forget what brand. I'll check tonight or you might check online
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
Javi

If the refrigerator is too full air cannot circulate and the unit will not cool... one band-aid is to get a small refrigerator fan and use it.. They run on D cell batteries and can really help with air flow in the unit..
Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
RdRmr

I have used one of those battery powered fans for years, works well providing you leave room for the air to circulate. Set on the top shelf near the center front, out in front of the fins, hooked it down with a small bungie to the shelf. With the outside temperature 100+ and set on four it keeps things cold. Also helps to keep the back side of the fridge outside shaded. Happy Campin....

2016 KZ Durango 315RKD
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW, CCLB, 6.7L Cummins, Aisin.
Curt puck legs w/Curt Q16 head
VET/USMC
RdRmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
rnkburg

So it's acting up again. This time, with nothing in it, but a couple packages of frozen meat in the freezer. I went out and made sure all was empty in trailer when the temps were going to get really cold (7 degrees) saw the meat in the fridge and it was frozen, figured that was the last thing I needed to worry about (yes leave it plugged in and on)

Came out a day or so later after the cold temps, don't know why but I checked the freezer and the meat was getting soft. Put a fridge thermometer in it and it was above freezing. Stayed that way a couple of days, then it dropped back down to 20.

Turned it off and cleaned out the water from the freezer where it defrosted. Then took to dealer, now the freezer is at 0 in there shop for 4 days. I don't know what to do at this point. I don't trust this fridge, but they can't find anything wrong with it.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
Tom N OH

I'm guessing that you're using an adapter to plug it into a regular 110v outlet at home. My first guess would be a bad adapter, bad outlet, or wiring within your home to the outlet not letting the trailer get adequate voltage &/or amperage. Buy a cheapie voltmeter at the hardware store & check the voltage at an outlet inside the trailer with the trailer plugged into the outlet you use at home & the refigerator turned on. Post back with results plz.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote