Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Railcop345

Qr-4000 dvd/cd/am-fm/mp#3

I pruchased a used 2008 Montana 2955RL that has a QR-4000 player . I contacted Keystone today, 11-30-11 and they said that they did not install this unit. There is no indication of a modification where a Jensen wall unit would have been. Of course it has failed, bad disc message. Anyone have one of these?
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
CarKath

I googled the model # you gave and found this.

Quote:
Over time dust and stuff can accumulate on the lasers that read the discs. You should try a dvd laser cleaner (its different then the disc cleaner you might purchase for a cd player). Its a disc that has a little brush on it. You insert it into the DVD player, you may need to run it 2 or 3 times, but when you use it, the little brush will clean the laser off. Another problem could be that sometimes the laser becomes mis-aligned, inhibiting the DVD players ability to read the discs. I would try the laser cleaner first as the only way to get the laser re-aligned is to take it to a service center and get it repaired. Our old PS2 stopped reading discs and my husband actually took the lid off of it and used a q-tip with some of the laser cleaner that comes with the dvd laser cleaner kit to clean the laser off - we're smokers and pet owners and it was just plain disgusting how dirty that little laser got! After that it ran fine and read all the discs that we thought had some how gone bad.

There are other possiblities too such as a bad laser motor, bad spindle motor (although I think this one is unlikely since you can hear it spinning) and other circuit related issues that can be causing your bad disc error. However these things would need to be diagnosed by an authorized service center.

I would say that as a general rule of thumb, if the cost of repairing exceeds 2/3 of the cost of a new unit, I would just buy a new one.
I don't have one these units, but try to clean it. I won't bother with repair personally if cleaning fails. Replace it with another unit and move forward.
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Railcop345

DVD Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarKath View Post
I googled the model # you gave and found this.

I don't have one these units, but try to clean it. I won't bother with repair personally if cleaning fails. Replace it with another unit and move forward.
Yep. Tried cleaning, still no go. Apparently the prior owner removed the Jensen, modified the cabinet and replaced it with this piece of junk. Even the company that imported the one container is no longer in business! Thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas to you.
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
CarKath

Good luck in your search for a replacement unit. Let us all know what you bought and what mods you did to install it.

Merry Christmas
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #5
SteveC7010

Just food for thought:

If DVD is not important, you could replace that unit with a standard automotive aftermarket AM/FM/DC unit. They are readily available most anywhere. Something like this maybe:

There are also now in-dash DVD players available than could be easily installed next to the sample unit above.

The wiring for the aftermarket stuff is well documented with the product, and matches the existing wiring in your TT wire for wire. It may take some work to make all the connections, but it is very straight forward. You can safely use the existing loud speakers in your TT as well.

The only other issue would be to fab up a panel for the new radio (and DVD player) to cover the larger opening of the RV unit. I have done several of these conversions with great success.

Here's the link to details on an upgrade I did on my own camper a couple of years ago. I used a radio salvaged from a Cash for Clunkers car so the wiring was actually a little more work than if I had purchased a new aftermarket unit.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...dio-10368.html

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
rjsurfer

When my Jensen MP-5000 died (for the 2nd time) I thought about using a 12 volt car audio system also, but we would miss the ability to select from the 3 separate speaker zones. Plus we like to watch DVD's through our campers LCD TV on occasion. which I'm not sure a car audio player could do.

Sometimes it's nice just to select the outside speakers only or any combination of the 3 zones something that adjusting the fader/balance could not duplicate.

Yes I could have played around with some off the shelf push button speaker select switch but after all was said and done it would have cost too much and be a real bear to wire.

Great job with the install by the way, very professional.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Dennis

Qr 4000 dvd

I purchased my 2007 Montana new and it came with the QR 4000 installed. It has now started giving the Bad Disk message and has quit receiving am and fm. Even though the 5th wheel was purchased in 2008 the DVD player has probably not had more than 15 or 20 DVD's played and the am/fm hasn't been used more than two or three times. Havn't tried cleaning the laser yet but can't see that having anything to do with the radio.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote