Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
JeffS

Ouray Colorado - Mines & Wildflowers

If you are interested in Colorado Mining and Wildflowers one of our favorite destinations is Ouray.

This quaint little town is located on US 550 in the San Juan Mountains approximately 100 miles south of Grand Junction (easy run down) and 70 miles north of Durango (2 tough pulls & some switchbacks). The town is nestled in a box canyon about ½ mile long and ¼ mile wide at 7,700 feet. There a number of RV campgrounds in the area, 4J+1+1 right in town and a KOA about 4 miles north of town. In addition there is the US Forest Service Amphitheater campground just south of town to name a few.

Ouray is often referred to as the “Little Switzerland of America” plus it has a large public hot springs pool. Numerous mine sites and wildflower fields can be reached with your personal 4wheel drive or via local tour/rental companies. Jeep rentals run $160/day and tours $60 ½ day for adults $35 for kids 4-12 yrs. Trails range from an easy Class 2 (Yankee boy Basin) – difficult Class 5 (Black Bear Pass). The following website will provide a good overview of available trails and sites.
http://www.narrowgauge.org/4x4/html/4X4.html

Yankee Boy Basin - Wildflowers

White & Lavender Columbine – Colorado State Flower

Governor Basin – Mine Site

This dormitory was constructed behind the large triangular rock to protect it from avalanches.
Huntley, Illinois
formerly Norton Shores, Michigan
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
f6bits

Ouray was a memorable trip for my wife and I before we had kids. We rented a Kabin at the KOA and really enjoyed the campground. I had my Grand Cherokee at the time so we hit a lot of the mountain trails into neighboring valleys, including Telluride. Definitely have to go back.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
azlee56

My dad was raised up in those parts mining with his dad (Durango, Telluride, and Ouray). Nice area.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
campingcpl

When I was a kid we usually took our summer vacations to Colorado. My family (except for me) adventually moved out there and has been there ever since. I have been to that area many times and it never gets old. My family used to be big into the 4 wheeling so I have been on several of the trails in that area. Most of the trails are easy enough to get around but for Black Bear. This trail isn't for the faint of heart! If you are in anything bigger then a full size Blazer or Bronco then I wouldn't even attempt it. Most stock vehicals wont make it up this trail either. I have been on this trail with my full size moded (3" lift, 33" off road tires, full set of skid plates, motor mods, etc.) Blazer and had a rough time but the views are awsome!

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destinations