Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
DocData757

Fridge vent screen

I have seen flying insect screen covers for the heater vents (have them) and water heater screen (will be getting) but I have not seen anything of the size that would work for the exterior vent plates for a refrigerator.

Anyone know of these?

We have wasps here in summer and I would prefer that they not build their mud nests in my fridge .
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
KanTC

Shown in package... (by Camco)
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ct-screens.htm

These show a better photo
http://bigdiscountrv.com/appliances/...-dauber-screen

http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=14346F

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
sandy43

You can buy them, but I think their rather expensive. On the last couple of RV's I made my own. Buy some nylon/fiberglass screen at your hardware store, usually about 4 bucks for 30"x 8 ft.. Remove the panel and cut a piece larger than the panel and hot-glue it to the back side of the panel. Form fit it to cover all the vents and glue it, then trim excess. If you take your time and form it carefully, it actually looks pretty good. You or no one will ever see the inside once it's done. My RV fridge has two vent panels, which would require two sets of commercially made ones at about 70 bucks. This cost less than 5 bucks.
Just a suggestion and opinion. Thanks
sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I did much the same as sandy43, but only covered the actual vent openings in the outside refrigerator panel. They are horizontal, so I ran a bead of silicone around the opening (there are three) and laid a "cut to fit" piece of window screen on the silicone and pressed it into place. then moved up to the next opening in the panel and did the same. Once complete. the panel looks essentially the same outside (unless you look up into the openings) and when the panel is removed, there's less screen for spiders and dust to collect.

Either way will work, your choice which you choose.

I just realized that someone may think I did this to the "OUTSIDE" of the panel.... Nope. all of this was done on the inside of the panel, and I only glued screen over the actual vent openings not over the entire inside of the panel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Have any pics of the screens glued to the inside of the fridge access panel? I've considered this as well and wonder how it looks.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
DocData757

My concern with using window screen is it is more restrictive (tighter weave) than the commercial vent screen and being in FL, that small amount of less ventilation could be a problem.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #7
webslave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocData757 View Post
My concern with using window screen is it is more restrictive (tighter weave) than the commercial vent screen and being in FL, that small amount of less ventilation could be a problem.
That is a legitimate concern... It will cut air flow and hence alter the "burn" of your propane burner settings. If you use window screen, make sure that the LP burner is burning correctly (should be mostly blue flame). If not, you may have CO or soot issues over time along with decreased efficiency of the refrigerator...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox / B&W Companion Hitch
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Terrydactile

I've been using metal window screen in my fridge vent for four years now without any ill effects on fridge temp, even in FL in July and August.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
bartletts

You shouldn't see any difference in the burner flame, but you do need good convection air flow to pull the heat out of the fridge. That's why some units use a fan in the vent stack. If you notice a lack of cooling then you should probably add a fan or more vent area. It probably won't matter, though. The popup I used to have had screen in the vent from the factory.
bartletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #10
CincyGus

I have not installed one yet but did exactly what your talking about on my old popup. Cut window screening to fit and I used Gorilla Tape to attach it to the inside of the vent. Was concerned that in the heat of the summer and with the heat generated in the frig compartment, it might not hold up but it did. I did clean the inside of the vent cover very well with soap and water and let it dry a few days but that Gorilla tape is some tough stuff. I also wired in a 12 volt computer fan with a switch in the vent to pull air from the vent towards the coils to help increase their effectivness. This was the single best mod I did to my old popup (and I did a bunch). The fridge would take about 4-6 hours to get down to 40 degrees or so when first plugged in or turned on using the propane. It would also struggle to stay in the 40's when it got 85+ or so outside. After putting the fan in there, it took about half the time to get to 40 and had no trouble keeping in the 40-45 degree range even on 95+ degree days.

The computer fan I used had a single blue LCD light on it which gave off a very nice glow behind the vent cover. It was accidental that the fan I ordered had this (I didn't notice when I ordered) but I loved it because it was very obvious to me when I would forget to turn the fan off and acted as a reminder as soon as it was dark. People would ask what the blue glow was and I always told them my "Flux Capasitor"

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
sandy43

I've never had any problems with the screen glued to the back side, at least not that I'm aware of. Did this on my previous 2 fiver's. Thanks
sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
chuck&gail

Camco screens work great for me. Even moved them from old TT to new TT with no problems.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
SLIMSHADIE

Installed the Camco (I think) screens also in about 10 minutes. Being a metal screen its very durable. Came with a few zip ties by I used more.