Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
BigSur

Slide-Out Question

Quick question. I've been pulling my stabilzers up and hitching up via my WDH while my slide is still out. Does anyone think the up/down htich movement will hurt the slide in any way?
BigSur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSur View Post
Quick question. I've been pulling my stabilzers up and hitching up via my WDH while my slide is still out. Does anyone think the up/down htich movement will hurt the slide in any way?
BigSur -

Over an extended time, this practice might not be good. From first hand inspection of the slide rails and mechanism, I think it would be best to operate the slides when fairly level especially front to back. My reason: The slide rail has a roller wheel at the inside end and a toothed underside that rides in a cog on the outside of the I-beam. There is nothing to stabilize the rail as far as fore/aft movement or incline. It seems like they are meant to roll in/out when level, could rub or damage the sides of the cog, the internal roller, or rub the slide inside the U-shaped enclosure. I did post a couple of pictures of the rail in my (finally) last tank heater mod post.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
BigSur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo View Post
BigSur -

Over an extended time, this practice might not be good. From first hand inspection of the slide rails and mechanism, I think it would be best to operate the slides when fairly level especially front to back. My reason: The slide rail has a roller wheel at the inside end and a toothed underside that rides in a cog on the outside of the I-beam. There is nothing to stabilize the rail as far as fore/aft movement or incline. It seems like they are meant to roll in/out when level, could rub or damage the sides of the cog, the internal roller, or rub the slide inside the U-shaped enclosure. I did post a couple of pictures of the rail in my (finally) last tank heater mod post.

Ron
Thanks Ron. To clarify, I'm not operating the slide while at an angle. I'm just raising and lowering my TV to get hitched with the slide still out. Once I'm hitched, and at this point in the process I'm still leveled on blocks left to right, I'm pretty much dead on level. Once I'm hitched and back level, I pull the slide in. I guess there could be times when I'm not level once htiched but if anything, I usually would be low on the front. I could just use my jack/blocks to level back up before I pull the slide in. My only other option would be to just go ahead and pull the slide in first thing. The only bad part about that is there will be less room for cleaning during the breakdown process.
BigSur is offline   Reply With Quote