Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
pbuck

Hitting bed rails?

I have am getting a 15K superglide. I have a 343rl Montana High Coiuntry with a Lippirt 1716 Long Pin Box. The truck is a 2009 2500HD Duramax Shortbed (6.5').

I have been told the pin box may be too long with the superglide.

Given the above information am I going to have to worry about hitting the bed rails or tailgate when making a turn? The Pin box is attached using top two holes dropping it as far as it will go.
pbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Can you make any adjustments in the Superglide hitch that will raise the 5th wheel pin box, give you more bed rail clearance, and; at the same time, keep both units in a level position?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
allentx1

I have a 2010 F250 short bed with the Lippert long fifth wheel. My Pullrite has never hit the tailgate, sides or anything else in the year plus I have had it. I even got into a 90 degree turn backing in this last trip and never touched anything. In fairness, I never got out to look to see how close or not, just never hit anything.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
pbuck

Unfortunately the superglide does not come with a hieght adjustment. I was wondering if I need to change out the pin box (shorter) to keep it from hitting the bed rails when turning sharp. I am sure if I use a lift kit for the superglide to get the pinbox above the bed rails the 5er will be nose up big time. I have also heard that you can cut the back of the pin box to give you clearance.

Pete

Thanks Allentx1 - I may have to wait and see once I hook up for the first time.
pbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
mhs4771

Yep, there is a slight problem with GMs. They don't seem to have the bed quite as wide as Ford and Dodge. With the extended pin boxes (we have the MorRyde) if you measure from the center of the King Pin to the rear corner and compare that to 1/2 the width between the sides of the box, you'll come up short by approx an inch. So yes you can trim the back corners of the pin box assembly, been done by numerous members on the Montana Owners Forum. We were planning on diong it to ours since the warranty is up, but we're upgrading to a new and bigger unit so it's been crossed off the "To Do" list. You'll only run into the problem when trying to make a near 90 degree turn. BIL with his new Montana put a big gash into the side of his 2010 3500 SRW on his second or third time out with the Montana, he never had a problem with is old Carriage Cameo.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Paddler

I shaved a 1/4 inch off the plastic bed rail cap of my 2011 Sierra with my Monty doing a 90 degree back-in turn. Guess it be time to trim the back corners of the pin box.