Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Get organized!

Some years ago, I think it was summer 2004, Wife and I drove to Grandpa's Farm camp site somewhere in Indiana/Illinois (can't remember exactly) to meet her mom and husband. They were driving from Buffalo, us from OK. Grandpa's Farm was about the 1/2-way point.

We took our tiny little Hybrid camper (our first camper) and they showed up with their Spinnaker 33T 5th wheel (35' with 3 slides)... It rained the entire 3 day weekend and we spent most if it in their camper. Quite nice it was...

The one thing that impressed us most is how organized they were. Everything in their 'basement' had it's place, was easy to get to, and was something you wouldn't be ashamed to let anyone see. That made a huge impression upon us that lasts to this day.

Wifey and I are NOT the most organized people in the world. We're always in a hurry and many times, we don't take the time to do things "right".

Well the first 3 campers we had all had storage space for your "junk", and up to this point, ours always DID look like junk. Chaos at best.

Well we decided with this one to start with an inspiration taken from them... We are going to START organized...

BINS!!!! What fun to buy....

L= lights
W=water (fresh/drinking water supplies)
E=electrical
S=sewer stuff
MT-miscleaneous and tools

Our basement now looks like something even my dear father-in-law would be proud to show his friends.

This is a view in from the passenger (awning/entrydoor) side.

Here's a view in from the driver's/street side..

We have no disillusions that we won't mess it up. That's our nature. We're pretty disorganized.. But at least in this case, we started with something good.

In the past, we just drug all the junk from one camper to the other when we sold one. Essentially just transferring the chaos without any thought.

Hopefully we keep it up!!!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
f6bits

I was going to ask if I could buy a vowel so I could try to make a word out of them.

My basement bins aren’t labeled, but they’re clear so I can see their contents. I do use the Rubbermaid Roughneck totes (colored) for packing and have them labeled: Mom, Dad, Kid1, Kid2, Fridge, Pantry, Linens. Packing totes (with packing lists) keep us organized and limit all the junk we want to take.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
CincyGus

Congrats on getting off to a good start with the best of intentions! The truth of the matter is people are who they are. We can all change if we want to but it is really difficult to change a basic programmed instinct that is who we have been our whole life. Many books have been written on why that is, if it's genetic or environmental and after reading my fair share of them and 50 years of observation, I think the truth is it's some of both with a larger part of it environmental (the way you were raised and you observing others around you and their success or failure with said methods).

Just bought a new Passport 238 and Yesterday made a trip to the walmart with measurements of the cargo doors along with inside dimensions of the cargo storage area. Came home with 3 48"L x 12"H x 24" totes that stack beautifully on top of each other to take up 1/4 of the cargo area. I know I have a organizational sickness because I was thrilled almost to the point of jumping up and down when they fit with only about 1" of clearance on the top when stacked three high. My wife giving me the "That's great, Honey" look was my first clue that I was a little too excited about how well they fit ;-). Labeled them Electrical, Plumbing, and Awning lights. Have two taller, deeper totes that we used in the pop up prior that are for Propane canisters, bug spray, toilet chemicals, lighter fluid, etc that we want contained and spill proof. These will be used inside the camper until we get to the site and then go under the camper.

Everything in its place and a place for everything. Good luck keeping it going!

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote