Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
LeeMedic

Smile My New Hensley Arrow was Delivered

Received my Hensley Arrow hitch via UPS yesterday afternoon.

Since I live in Florida I knew I needed to get an early start while it was cool, so I kicked it off about 7:45 am. It took me a 3 hours to completely install the Arrow. I took my time reading the instructions. I also preview a video on YouTube on the installation which helped a lot.

Wow what a sweet beast! The shipping weight was 222 lbs. The main hitch weighs 99 lbs.

As you can imagine, it took some help from my loving wife to help lift that guy.

The only specialty tool needed is a torque wrench which I had.

Even the drill bit comes with the package.

Now after the install, I stepped back to check how level the TV and TT were. PERFECT!

I measured the rear frame on the TT, it was 23" from the ground. I measured the front frame of the TT and it also was exactly 23" from the ground. NO SAG in the middle. My Excursion is even sitting level.

I had some sag with my Equal-I-zer. I can hardly wait to get it out on the road to test it.

So far I am please at what I see.

One thing that I found during this installation was the mount for the LP Gas tank has only one (1) bolt holding it in place. The other three were broken off. WOW! I have only owned this Sprinter 2 weeks. Now off to Ace Hardware for some self tapping bolts.

2013 Keystone Montana 3582RL 38'
2006 Ford F350 Dually, 8' bed, Diesel 6.0
Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
LeeMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Hensley

Hensley is a good outfit. I love my Hensley Gold brake controller, check it out,it is quite an advanced design.

I know a lot of people on the group love their Prodigy controllers and I am sure that is a well designed unit. Somebody should do a head to head on controllers under the same conditions with the same equipment and driver.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
The Sod Father

So tell us Lee, did you take it out for a test tow? What was your impression of the Hensley? I've been having sway issues with my 1k/10k Equalizer. Made countless adjustments to the hitch and re-distributed weights in the trailer. Still swaying. So I ordered my Hensley last week and it is scheduled to arrive today. Looking forward to stress free towing.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
LeeMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sod Father View Post
So tell us Lee, did you take it out for a test tow? What was your impression of the Hensley? I've been having sway issues with my 1k/10k Equalizer. Made countless adjustments to the hitch and re-distributed weights in the trailer. Still swaying. So I ordered my Hensley last week and it is scheduled to arrive today. Looking forward to stress free towing.
I have not had the opportunity to take it on the Interstate with heavy traffic and Interstate speeds. I did test drive it and found it very quiet, and it does feel different while towing. It is hard to explain.

I am sure you are going to enjoy the secure feeling you have the best towing package on the market today.

Give us some feedback on the installation and test tow when you get it going.

Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
The Sod Father

My first trip is next weekend. Should be a good test for the whole system since I will be on the PA Turnpike and then the dreaded NJ Turnpike.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
The Sod Father

So, I installed the Hensley Thursday night after work. It was a pretty easy process. The instructions are clear, but I did have to call "the help desk" for some guidance. The help desk being two of my buddies who also have the Hensley Arrow.

I spent Friday morning putting the propane tank back in place. I had all 4 in place but they were rusted so I replaced them with new stainless bolts. After that, I got hitched up and was ready to go on our first trip. I pulled the trailer out of the side yard, pulled in front of the house and got out to see how the whole lashup looked. Doh! I mis-measured and go the wrong size stinger. The trailer was riding a bit high in front. I got panicked, but thebn realized I would only be on the road for an hour, so went on my way.

Now, as I noted, this first trip took me on both the PA Turnpike and the NJ Turnpike. Both are loaded with trucks and and insane drivers. I got cut off twice by maniacs trying to get around me or to get one car length closer to the EZ Pass lane. I had countless trucks blow by me causing all kinds of turbulence. So, what happened to the trailer? Nothing. I could feel the rush of air, but the trailer did not push the Expedition around. I was skeptical of the Hensley, but I am now a convert. Had I taken the same trip with my Equalizer, I would have been white knuckled for most of the trip.

Now, it is not the perfect hitch. I had a heck of a time hitching and unhitching the first time. From what I am told, it is something that you figure out over time and sure enough, when we hitched up this morning to head home, the process was a bit easier. The most difficult part of hitching and unhitching had nothing to do with the hitch but with my stooopid tongue jack. The switch burned out. Grrrrr.. Fortunately, my DeWalt drill came to the rescue.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
LeeMedic

Quote:
So, I installed the Hensley Thursday night after work. It was a pretty easy process. The instructions are clear, but I did have to call "the help desk" for some guidance. The help desk being two of my buddies who also have the Hensley Arrow.

I spent Friday morning putting the propane tank back in place. I had all 4 in place but they were rusted so I replaced them with new stainless bolts. After that, I got hitched up and was ready to go on our first trip. I pulled the trailer out of the side yard, pulled in front of the house and got out to see how the whole lashup looked. Doh! I mis-measured and go the wrong size stinger. The trailer was riding a bit high in front. I got panicked, but thebn realized I would only be on the road for an hour, so went on my way.

Now, as I noted, this first trip took me on both the PA Turnpike and the NJ Turnpike. Both are loaded with trucks and and insane drivers. I got cut off twice by maniacs trying to get around me or to get one car length closer to the EZ Pass lane. I had countless trucks blow by me causing all kinds of turbulence. So, what happened to the trailer? Nothing. I could feel the rush of air, but the trailer did not push the Expedition around. I was skeptical of the Hensley, but I am now a convert. Had I taken the same trip with my Equalizer, I would have been white knuckled for most of the trip.

Now, it is not the perfect hitch. I had a heck of a time hitching and unhitching the first time. From what I am told, it is something that you figure out over time and sure enough, when we hitched up this morning to head home, the process was a bit easier. The most difficult part of hitching and unhitching had nothing to do with the hitch but with my stooopid tongue jack. The switch burned out. Grrrrr.. Fortunately, my DeWalt drill came to the rescue.
Well it sounds like the Hensley was a success. I have not taken mine on a long trip yet, but hope to do so within the month. I am glad it worked out for you.

Curt 20K Hitch
Retired U.S. Army
Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
The Sod Father

An update. I replaced the straight stinger with a 4" drop stinger. I've towed a few times since and it has been heavenly. My only beef now is the tow vehicle itself. I crank up the spring bars but he rear still sags a bit so now I am looking for beefier springs as airbags are not available for the 2008.

As far as hitching and unhitching goes, it gets easier and easier each time. At this point it is the same level of effort as with the ball hitch. Overall, towing is nearly stress free. Especially when a 42' tractor trailer goes flying by.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
KO4A

Alignment of the bar on your Excursion to the Arrow is critical for an easy hook up. I did use a piece of wood in the Arrow to help align it for proper connection to the Excursion bar.
Enjoy
God Bless America and God Bless our Troops[/CENTER]
KO4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
hankaye

The Sod Father, Howdy;

Quote:
Especially when a 42' tractor trailer goes flying by.
When I quit driving over the Road (2002), most trailers were 53' and they were starting to allow 58' ers in the Southwest. The short one's that you see as doubles and triples are 28' ers. They generally have the # 53 or whatever marked on them somewhere...

My rig with a 53' trailer hooked-up was generally close to 75' overall length depending on where the slideing fifth-wheel was or if the tractor frame had been extended.....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
The Sod Father

I stand corrected!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #12
ldprice47

Hensley Arrow

I will be getting our new Passport 3180RE in the next couple of days. It left the factory Wednesday and is now on the way to Austin, Texas.
My biggest concern with the TT was the length at almost 35 feet and sway control. I therefore took the plunge and bought a Hensley Arrow. My DW almost choked when she found out the cost and I bought a re-manufactured one! However, she can be a nervous passenger and a backseat driver, so for my peace of mind, the cost was well worth it.
Since I do all the hookups by myself, my biggest concern was backing up to the receiver in the hitch and started looking at backup camera for my 1/2 ton Silverado and could not find the one that was ideal till I ran across a Master Lock backup system that is truly portable and can also be a permanent mount when not towing because you can lock the camera in the hitch receiver. What was also great was the price when I found it on Amazon. I have attached photos of the camera system.

Name:   5695_7_4843DATSEN.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  7.8 KB

Name:   5879_7_4843datsen_hitch_alignment[1].jpg
Views: 245
Size:  10.3 KB
1989 36 Foot Southwind

2012 Passport 3180RE

Hensley Arrow Hitch
2008 Silverado 1500

Larry and Maida
Wimberley, Texas
ldprice47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
The Sod Father

Welcome to team orange! After a few times, you will get the hang of "threading the stinger". I hitched up last Saturday all by myself. I had to get in and out of the vehicle a total of 3 times. I would have done the same with a traditional ball and coupler layout. The nice thing about the Hensley is that after a few times, you get the "feel" of when you are in and when you can safely unhitch. You can also pivot the stinger box side to side so that helps.

One of the many things I like about the Hensley is the smooth hitch and unhitch process (assuming you have grease on the stinger). No hang ups. I just let the vehicle idle its way in and out. If it needs extra umph, then something is wrong.

Important safety tip - make sure your struts are nice and snug. They may loosen up after a few trips and that will cause problems. And if you need any help, send me a PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
ldprice47

Hensley Hitch

Thanks for the reply. Just like anything new, you have to get use to it. What amazes me is the advancement in TT since the last time I had one.
1989 36 Foot Southwind

2012 Passport 3180RE

Hensley Arrow Hitch
2008 Silverado 1500

Larry and Maida
Wimberley, Texas
Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 AM   #15
ldprice47

New Passport 3180RE with Hensley Arrow

Picked up our 3180RE Wednesday and had the dealer install my Hensley on the trailer because it was raining and had to make a modification to the battery rails to get the Hensley to fit. Drove home in and out of rain but the hitch is everything I have heard about it. We were passed by a number of eithteen wheelers and the TT did not sway one bit and held a steady course on the road.
However, the biggest perk to the whole thing was when my DW asked me if the TT was still attached!!!! I have towed a 28' Shasta many years ago with the friction sway controls and I remember the white nuckle experiences with it on I-70 with a brisk crosswind and being passed by eighteen wheelers and fighting the sway on the TT.
This setup is going to be a pleasure to drive and we look forward to many great experiences with the new TT and seeing this great land the way it should be seen, from the ground and not at 35,000 ft!!
1989 36 Foot Southwind

2012 Passport 3180RE

Hensley Arrow Hitch
2008 Silverado 1500

Larry and Maida
Wimberley, Texas