Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Johnny's Journey

Circus RV

While dealing with the sales dept when buying your RV was it good or bad ? Please keep from bashing here. I'm just curious to see if they thought a sucker was walking in the door and that they could sell you anything on the assumption one doesn't know a thing or two about what they want, they need or experience. What was it again that P. T. Barnum would say about this ? Oh yes, "There's a sucker born every minute"
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:20 AM   #2
Frank G

Why the question? If you were at a dealer and got this feeling, leave. If you are shopping for a RV, only you can decide what is important to you. Finding that dealer and unit may take some time. Normally everyone around the campfire got a great deal, service is another issue.

My philosophy, once you bought something, quit shopping. Be Happy!
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:36 AM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

My experience with my dealer was great. My buying experience was super, PDI was clear and not rushed, service after the sale has been excellent. No complaints at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:38 AM   #4
RandyandDeb

No complaints. We got a very good deal on our 2017 Raptor 355ts.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab LB 3500 Duramax HD DRW
RandyandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #5
SummitPond

We visited several RV dealers. We did not get the feeling that we were being taken to the cleaners by any of them. After the DW chose our model we called the other salespeople to let them know of our decision; all were gracious except one - who basically threw a tizzy fit on the phone - unbelievable!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:52 AM   #6
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Why the question? If you were at a dealer and got this feeling, leave. If you are shopping for a RV, only you can decide what is important to you. Finding that dealer and unit may take some time. Normally everyone around the campfire got a great deal, service is another issue.

My philosophy, once you bought something, quit shopping. Be Happy!
I'm sorry you have the since I'm unhappy. Far from it. I'll take what I'm trying to convey a step further. Being in control of your purchase rather than sales. To often the sales debt is only concerned with making a sale. As was the case at several dealers I've walked into and walked out of as well. I knew what I wanted in all regards of buying. Make, model, price, finance. "Oh shoot, my marsh mellow has fallen off the stick because I'm not paying attention to it" where was I ? Oh yes. I did receive a great deal. As far as service you are correct. That is a whole nother matter in dead and is why I do my own work. It makes me feel better that way.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #7
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
My experience with my dealer was great. My buying experience was super, PDI was clear and not rushed, service after the sale has been excellent. No complaints at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Very good to hear. I've also taken note of what part of the USA your in. Not every state, city is the same as far a kindness is concerned and where I live it can be a challenge putting on a happy face. That's why I like traveling. "Where would I like to settle down once I've looked around ?"
Old 07-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
vampress_me

We had a mostly great buying experience. The salesman was very nice, and he still is to this day since we still see him at least once a year at the rv show. Every time he asks if we have found another camper we like as much. When we say we haven't he said good! that means you found the right one the first time. He's a great man with a laid back attitude, which I like in a salesman.

The person in charge of financing was another matter. He tried changing the terms that were agreed upon. Our response was that this is what had been agreed to and if he didn't change it back we were walking out. Not our favorite person by a long shot.

The service from that dealer has been great. Both under warranty and now after, has been excellent. Our camper was never left there for more that a few days when it needed work. No matter if it was the torn floor from the slide, or the slide needing work because of a horrid noise it was making this spring, or a few other minor bits in warranty I couldn't do. And I was worried after hearing the horror stories!

Now, however, the dealer was bought by CW, so I'm a little concerned, but the guys have stayed the same in the service department so that is a relief.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
canesfan

Not real sure of the purpose of your question either, but my experience before, during and after the sale has been wonderful to date. No pressure, no BS, salesman was there when I had a question, left me alone otherwise, finance guy was wonderful, PDI was good, rig was setup with everything on, running and tested. Salesman greeted me, said let's go look at it, then we'll go to lunch (he bought) and then do the PDI. They even helped me move stuff from my trade-in to the new rig. No rush, no fuss, no muss. I know there aren't a lot of places like this, but they do exist. And their prices were by far better than anything I could find online pretty much anywhere. And they are only 3 hours away and I go past them twice a year, if I need anything all I have to do is call ahead and they make time for me (early Springs and late Fall - I wouldn't expect them to drop everything in the middle of the Summer, but they might). Put an inspection sticker on it for nothing each year too so far.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
Johnny's Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Not real sure of the purpose of your question either, but my experience before, during and after the sale has been wonderful to date.
It's simple, it's more of a survey about how friendlier other area's of the US are than other's. This thread is not to bash as I noted at the top of the page. You see, I almost came home with a travel trailer (Keystone) from Las Vegas during Fathers Day weekend from an outfit called Blue Dog. They by far were the friendliest and the sales person was also an avid camper. Have a nice 4th of July
Old 07-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #11
UsTwo

Im just going to give a shout out to our RV dealers also.. Midwest RV and Apache Village Rv in the St Louis metro area ( Family owns the both of them). Both are wonderful, gave full attention to what we wanted and our needs were met..
Any questions we had were met without haste, I think we got good deals and the PDI"s were spot on..We even call from a campground once with a question that I don't remember and the walked us through it.. Said if we couldn't figure it out they would come to the campground and help.. We will certainly but our last one from them, when it comes time to retire.. They already know what we are looking at and told us to come out anytime and look them over...These guys also remember who we are when we go to the RV shows.. and are never to busy to say hi..

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #12
notanlines

Vampress, let me make one small attempt to put your mind at ease. We have dealt with CW many, many times and have always been treated in a business-like manner. We bought our Raptor from them in Florida and the first thing our salesman did was actually walk out on the parking lot and see what we were driving to determine if it would tow the unit. I don't believe they became the largest in the country by being the cheapest, but I do think they are doing something right.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
gearhead

My sales experience was too easy. Financing was easy.
Service was the worst example of incompetence I have seen in 40 years of industrial repair.
Next time I'll try Camping World, or drive to Kansas City. LOL.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #14
vampress_me

Thank you Jim. I appreciate it. So far, with the other CW (the 2 by us are only 15 minutes apart since our original dealer was bought by them), I have mainly bought "stuff" from them, but the service guy at the desk is really awesome if you need help. At our original dealer (now a CW), the service guys in back are the same and definitely know their stuff, but the ones working the desk are "kids" - and I'm not that old! The desk kids are the only ones I worry about a little. They tried to convince me our rear wall is not supposed to be loose and should be glued tight, because it has a little give in it. I tried to explain Keystone hangs the back filon (I hope I'm using the right terms!) and it is not pressed/ glued like the side walls, as I have learned from the experts on here. They proceeded to tell me I was not correct and at some point may want to fix that. I didn't feel like arguing with them, but it worries me as far as them trying to "sell" something to someone who doesn't know better. But, thanks to everyone on here and the knowledge, I feel lucky!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I have to 2nd notanlines on CW. I've used them exclusively to this point on our current trailer. They have locations all across the areas we travel. Every location we have been to has been great, and some have gone above and beyond to assist us when we had problems on the road. I also buy lots of RV stuff from them. No, they aren't the cheapest but in my experience they have been very supportive and helpful and that's what I look for.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #16
Johnny's Journey

I enjoyed vampress_me saying "kid". Mind you everyone I've only been cutting my teeth for less than 1 1/2 years having a travel trailer @ 55 years of age and no prior experience with them. My previous 15 footer had everything a bigger unit has. I left no panel or access point unexplored and learned how it all works as compared to permanent dwelling.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 PM   #17
xrated

As it turns out, Canesfan and I both bought from the same dealership. He is east of the dealership by three hours and I'm west and south of them by 6+ hours. I pretty much had the same experience that he had...top notch, very friendly and competent folks who know exactly what they are doing. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again if I were in the market for a different RV (but my wife says that I'm NOT.....and I believe her)
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM   #18
CWtheMan

Most of us - USA citizens - are not proficient or very experienced with the methods used by RV sales persons. They are kind of like cops, they will lie to a point.

Be prepared. Do some homework. And, as others have said, shop around. Finding a salesperson you have confidence with is not always an easy task.

I’ll not name the place other than to say it was in central FL. Our sales person stuck with the reduced asking price. He would not sell it if our truck was not going to meet the legal requirements necessary to haul the trailer safely. After numerous negotiations with the sales manager we settled the sale 17% below MSRP. The trailer was moved to a FHU site and we did a PDI. The dealer kept the trailer there until any/all discrepancies found during PDI were corrected to our satisfaction.

Maybe you cannot find a place like that or maybe the 17% reduction in price is not to your liking. We had shopped all around the country for that particular model trailer and may have been able to get a little lower price reduction but the travel expenses for such reduction would have offset the total savings.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
Johnny's Journey

^^^^^ Then I'm not alone. I was told I couldn't get out of buying a WDH and their package of start up goods on the paper work to make a deal. I stopped the deal right then and there when I said give me back my license. Funny how fast nearly $1000 of stuff I already had (I made that clear to them) was removed off the initial sales contract. Never was an add-on ever mentioned again. Left paying for only the cost of the trailer.