Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
b.d.keathley

Adco cover problems

Bought a Adco cover in July of last year. Within 1 month the cover ripped at every location where the drip rails extend. Adco gives you "little booties" for the rails but there is no point where you can tie them to. The dang cover ripped to "high hell". Adco is shipping me a new cover which I have to pay $35.00 for shipping and the warranty is now gone. Anyone found a way to cover the drip rails?"
2013 Keyston Cougar 333MKS
2 15K BTU AC's
b.d.keathley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
BlueThunder34

I used one of those pool noodles and cut little sections of it to slide over the drip rails. Went through some pretty good wind storms and no rips.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Harleyhop

I take tennis balls and put a little slice in each one and slide over each spout. They have worked well for me over the years. My Experience with trailer covers is that they only last about three years at best. Hope this helps.......
Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
b.d.keathley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThunder34 View Post
I used one of those pool noodles and cut little sections of it to slide over the drip rails. Went through some pretty good wind storms and no rips.
alright...can you explain a little more in detail?
2 15K BTU AC's
Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
b.d.keathley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhop View Post
I take tennis balls and put a little slice in each one and slide over each spout. They have worked well for me over the years. My Experience with trailer covers is that they only last about three years at best. Hope this helps.......
So you cut a slice in one tennis ball and just push it over the drip rail and it holds?
2 15K BTU AC's
Old 03-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.d.keathley View Post
alright...can you explain a little more in detail?
I also use short sections of pool noodles - the ones with a hollowed out center. I cut them long enough to slip onto the drip downspout plus a couple more inches to make sure that the sharp end of the downspout is covered.

I usually have to shave off sections of the protective piece so that it is angled properly and that it fits snugly against the side of the RV. I also cut a slit in the pool noodle section so that it can be pulled over to fit the spout. When cut and formed to the right shape, I usually wrap the small piece of noodle on the spout with some tape to hold it in place.

It does take some fiddlin' around but a 6 ft length of noodle goes a long way!

I also use foam and foam pipe wrap and cover every protrusion I can find on the 5th wheel - both on the sides and on the roof.

It takes longer to prep the 5th wheel so that you have all the sharp edges covered but that time is time well spent.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:49 PM   #7
Way Of Life

Save yourself the headaches and ditch the cover. They tend do do more harm than good.
.....and a Yorkie who thinks he rules the world.
Way Of Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
b.d.keathley

I was wondering if they do harm. I noticed that where the cover rubs it allows dirt to rub in and sand down and rub in dirt od the seams. My main thing is that I dont want the stckers or paint to fade. Ive had it 8 months and waxed it 4 times.just dont know how long theyl last.
2 15K BTU AC's
Old 03-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I've posted the same question and the responses vary. I think they may work in some places and not in others. My experience with my Jeep cover has been that in my environment the covers flop enough to actually mar the paint (I had to have my Jeep re-clearcoated). We now are going to pay $130month for a stall, payable a year in advance, while we determine where to build a building on the property. I just had the cap repainted so don't want to just sit here and watch the sun bake the paint and decals off on our many 100+ days.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:05 AM   #10
abc40kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Of Life View Post
Save yourself the headaches and ditch the cover. They tend do do more harm than good.
If you could have seen the one side of my previous fifth wheel..... All 40 feet faded from the sun! My 2015 will stay covered, headache or not.
abc40kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
Harleyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.d.keathley View Post
So you cut a slice in one tennis ball and just push it over the drip rail and it holds?
I cut out square the size of the end of the spout and push it on...
Old 03-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
BlueThunder34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I also use short sections of pool noodles - the ones with a hollowed out center. I cut them long enough to slip onto the drip downspout plus a couple more inches to make sure that the sharp end of the downspout is covered.

I usually have to shave off sections of the protective piece so that it is angled properly and that it fits snugly against the side of the RV. I also cut a slit in the pool noodle section so that it can be pulled over to fit the spout. When cut and formed to the right shape, I usually wrap the small piece of noodle on the spout with some tape to hold it in place.

It does take some fiddlin' around but a 6 ft length of noodle goes a long way!

I also use foam and foam pipe wrap and cover every protrusion I can find on the 5th wheel - both on the sides and on the roof.

It takes longer to prep the 5th wheel so that you have all the sharp edges covered but that time is time well spent.
+1 although in our case we didn't have to shave down the cut section of the pool noodle. Just cut to length and slipped over the "gutter" then put the cover on. Took about 10 mins to cut them and slide them on each side.
BlueThunder34 is offline   Reply With Quote