Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2020, 07:31 PM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m the oldest Tech in the shop..known proudly as the grumpy old man. But then anytime the youngsters have a question, where do they go?? I told one of the guys this week I’m going to get new uniform shirts with “shop dad” monogrammed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #22
Fishsizzle

No worries!

I’ve said my peace before on this subject, and just don’t want to rehash it much, I’ll just wrap this up with this:

I’ve learned to ignore some, and glean what I can.

I do worry about when some are “gone”. I know that’s something we all don’t want to talk about, but this is a really good forum and as much as some don’t feel the need to “coddle” I want to be able to educate future ones on what’s right and wrong. And if we can’t find away to help, or reach ones comfortably, then we are just adding to the problem of ones driving with unsafe rigs.

I don’t know that the answer is, I just know what it looks like to the ones asking, having been there. Can we do better? Again I don’t know, I just hope we can reach some and try and make a bad situation better, and educate when we can to make better decisions from some about towing safely in the future.

Thanks all for letting me vent out. Again, I’m done on this thread, kicking the soapbox on to the next
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #23
RickReichert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeno99 View Post
Looking to make sure I've got my 2500 Suburban suspension dialed in for pulling our TT, a 2017 Cougar 33SAB.

Already set up with a sway control hitch, but was thinking of either adding Timbren suspension stops or possibly adding a Road Master Active Suspension kit. Anyone here have any pros / cons using either of those I mentioned or have an even better suggestion....

It looks like the GVWR of the 33sab is just under 10,000 pounds. Please post a picture of the door frame sticker of your Suburban that shows axle capacities and gvwr.
RickReichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:44 AM   #24
rhagfo

Quote:
Looking to make sure I've got my 2500 Suburban suspension dialed in for pulling our TT, a 2017 Cougar 33SAB.

Already set up with a sway control hitch, but was thinking of either adding Timbren suspension stops or possibly adding a Road Master Active Suspension kit. Anyone here have any pros / cons using either of those I mentioned or have an even better suggestion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If I remember correctly, your trailer is about three months old and you haven't towed it for any appreciable distance yet ???

If so, I'd make sure you've got a quality weight distribution hitch with sway control, get it "dialed in" properly, weigh the rig to make sure you're "good to go" and then get some "feel for how it performs" before you start spending money on "upgrades that might not be needed"... Towing isn't about how many "gizmos" you can install, but on properly adjusted basic equipment and properly sized tow vehicle for the trailer weight, length and towing conditions.

You may, in the future, find that you need to upgrade the suspension, but if you do it now, you'll never know if it was necessary or just wasted money. If you use the system you have, you'll be able to identify any "shortcomings" and then can tailor any specific upgrades to "necessary deficiencies" rather than a "shotgun approach" of "let's try this and see if it makes things better (without knowing whether "better is even needed")
Quote:
Our camper is 8750 not 11500. The suburban can tow close to 9700. I've done all the research before we bought the camper... a bigger truck will happen in the future, but for now this is what we have, and we won't be taking extended or long distance trips for the next couple of years....
I have quoted what I see as good responses.
The OP's profile states just him, DW and small dog traveling, also works as a mechanic.
Yes, he will be on the ragged edge of the Burbs tow rating, I would say his best choice would be to make sure her has good shocks and a nice set of LT tires on the Burb, and a very good WD hitch with active sway control.

Let us know how it goes, Spring is almost here.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote